Scrapbooking classes

telli01

I haven't attended, but I wonder what they are like...I do some scrapbooking, but I certainly wouldn't bring my big bin of supplies with me on a cruise...maybe they teach you some basics and then try to sell you stuff, kind of like my Creative Memories consultant does...

You should try it out and then come back and give us a report!

• 1 month later...

I was just on the Carnival Triumph in January on a scrapbooking cruise. We decided to check out the ship's scrapbooking classes.

The poor fellow who was in charge had just started with the line 2 days earlier when we all boarded the ship. He had construction paper, glue sticks, markers, glitter and decorative scissors. Really not archival quality materials.

To his credit, when he heard there were "real" scrapbookers on board he made it a point to stop by our area and learn a few tips & tricks. He took some photos to uses as examples. He honestly wanted to learn so that he could do a better job which I thought was really nice.

Another focus of the scrapbook classes is to sell the ship's scrapbooking merchandise (books, kits, photo packages, etc).

There are better choices for activities on a cruise :-)

HTH

Shara

• 1 month later...

Hi, Just went to the one on the Carnival Pride 4/27/09 cruise. We were sitting there waiting for 15 minutes someone finally showed up and they said it was just a space set aside for people who wanted to scrap to have a time and place to do it. They had sissors, glue and that kind of thing. But you were suppose to bring or buy a book and have the pictures ready. We are hoping to do this on our group cruise to Alaska, but we will bring our paper and pictures. One of our members used to own a scrapbook store so she is going to show us some pointers.

I would not suggest attending the scrapbooking session. It was not worth the time it took. By the time that everyone "got it together" (that includes cruisers and staff) the session was over.

After that experience we have made a memory book from legal envelopes at home and took it with us. We had 2 envelopes for each day and we were able to just save our memories as we sailed. After we got home we embellished the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Skip it. If you are a hardcore scrapper you will find it a complete waste of time. If you are looking for an extremely basic intro to scrapbooking then by all means go. But you're better off signing up for a scrapbooking class through a Creative Memories consultant or at a local arts & crafts shop once you return home.

I do what the previous poster does. I always bring an 11x14 cardboard mailer from the post office to hold any photos I buy on ship and two 10x13 manila envelopes to hold all of the daily newsletters and other memorabilia I might collect during the cruise. Everything stays in there until I'm ready to start working on my cruise albums at home.

Theresa

Cruise scrapbooks completed:

Carnival Pride - 2 volumes

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 2 volumes

Star Princess - 6 volumes

Diamond Princess - 3 volumes (est.)

The only other thing that I have heard is on some of the ships the "early birds" got some professional glossy photos of the ship and such to use in their scrapbooks.

I absolutely loved the scrapbooks offered on one of the sea days on my cruise. They also have scrapbook kits with varying themes with great stickers and accessories, papers, etc. So I bought a slew of stuff on my first cruise.

Anyone who is looking for really great scrapbooking supplies and stamping stuff, Stampin' Up! is another great alternative. (I am not a Stampin' Up! demonstrator.)

Enjoy! I wish there were more scrapping subjects here where we could share page ideas to get specific ideas about cruise-related photos!

The only other thing that I have heard is on some of the ships the "early birds" got some professional glossy photos of the ship and such to use in their scrapbooks.

I absolutely loved the scrapbooks offered on one of the sea days on my cruise. They also have scrapbook kits with varying themes with great stickers and accessories, papers, etc. So I bought a slew of stuff on my first cruise.

Anyone who is looking for really great scrapbooking supplies and stamping stuff, Stampin' Up! is another great alternative. (I am not a Stampin' Up! demonstrator.)

Enjoy! I wish there were more scrapping subjects here where we could share page ideas to get specific ideas about cruise-related photos!

Every cruiseline is different on their offerings. On our Diamond Princess cruise last year they didn't offer anything special.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I've attended onboard Voyager ots, the first kit was free, each additional one had to be paid for and nobody could help with ideas. So after the first saison i just bought the kits i liked and spend that time elsewhere onboard.

On my last two ta cruises with. Celebrity, there was always someone who knew how to scrapbook, the kits were free, and a different one each session, however they don't generally create pages but small folios and the like.

Was a funt time...

• 2 weeks later...
I've attended onboard Voyager ots, the first kit was free, each additional one had to be paid for and nobody could help with ideas. So after the first saison i just bought the kits i liked and spend that time elsewhere onboard.

On my last two ta cruises with. Celebrity, there was always someone who knew how to scrapbook, the kits were free, and a different one each session, however they don't generally create pages but small folios and the like.

Was a funt time...

Hi, I'm going on the celebrity solstice next January, when or how do you find out if your cruise offers scrapbooking classes. Another question do they have a place inboard to print your own photos out? Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

on Disney cruises the classes are pretty useless but it's worth going along for a couple of free sheets of 12 x 12 paper and they also have a stack of previous daily navigators to cut out, so we just snip and run!

They do sell some lovely albums and paper packs on board.

Edited by Deely

• 2 months later...
Hi, I'm going on the celebrity solstice next January, when or how do you find out if your cruise offers scrapbooking classes. Another question do they have a place inboard to print your own photos out? Thanks in advance.

The classes are noted in the daily schedule, they are usually Held on seadays.

I´m not sure regarding a printing-opportunity on board, if there is one it would be in the photo Gallery, so it´ll be pretty expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

The scrapbooking sessions on Cunard were not worth attending. The Social Hostess is responsible and she knew next to nothing about scrapbooking - it was just time to work on a scrapbook. She did bring along a few supplies from the bookstore that were not in the least cruise related.

Surprisingly, there was one lady onboard that had brought along a suitcase full of supplies including a huge 12x12 album - including paper and page protectors - and was planning on going home with a complete album. I also saw one woman making a journal with pictures (she had brought a small photo printer) and cuttings from the program and other items she collected.

I need to start thinking about my scrapbook. I took over 6000 pictures so I have a lot to sort through!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't imagine a scrapbooking class onboard worth your time UNLESS they are giving out some freebie memorabilia. Then just show up and get that.

When we went to Alaska (7 nights) several years ago, I brought some large manila envelopes to hold any miscellaneous memorabilia. It worked great. Back then FILM was the thing and I shot a TON of photos. Probably averaged 2-3 rolls of film per day.

When I got home, I did 2 full Creative Memories 12x12 albums. (btw....if you are a scrapbooker, glacier photos on black paper/pages is AWESOME) The daily newsletter thing denotes each day and I have that day's activities/photos following. We also had four days in Victoria after our cruise.

Serious scrapbookers can simply shoot and plan what you want to do and collect memorabilia if you do traditional scrapbooking. (I was able to find some scrapbook shops in Alaska...check out your ports for port specific memorabilia)

But really.... just enjoy your trip, take your photos and your scrapbooks will be great.

• 3 months later...