To Speedo or not to Speedo

NYCcruiser86

Hi Guys!

I was just browsing the forums and came across somebody requesting that all men stop wearing speedos on cruises.

We've all heard this before. Men should cover it up! Now, I don't agree and I suspect a number of you don't either. Being 26 I just purchased my first speedo ever :eek::D(I must have tried 10 on) and cannot wait to wear it! There's no question I'm bringing it to Miami and to Fire Island this summer but what are your thoughts on wearing them on a cruise?

My boyfriend and I did a Med cruise last year and obviously they were everywhere (oh those Europeans! :D) but this year we're just doing a NYE in the Caribbean. I guess this is a Cruise Critic episode of "What Would You Do??"

I'm not embarrassed by wearing it at all but will it cause a "problem?" You know how some American's are...

Thanks Guys!

Love the speedo - I was a swimmer in school...many years ago & still wear them....so comfortable & love the tan lines...yes the European men are very adept(and the Aussies) at wearing them & look beautifully handsome doing so..

Its rididculous for someone to request men to stop wearing speedos or others wearing what they choose.

So be comfortable & I am sure they'll be a few very appreciative guys onboard....its not what you wear but how you wear it!!!!

Hi Guys!

I was just browsing the forums and came across somebody requesting that all men stop wearing speedos on cruises.

We've all heard this before. Men should cover it up! Now, I don't agree and I suspect a number of you don't either. Being 26 I just purchased my first speedo ever :eek::D(I must have tried 10 on) and cannot wait to wear it! There's no question I'm bringing it to Miami and to Fire Island this summer but what are your thoughts on wearing them on a cruise?

My boyfriend and I did a Med cruise last year and obviously they were everywhere (oh those Europeans! :D) but this year we're just doing a NYE in the Caribbean. I guess this is a Cruise Critic episode of "What Would You Do??"

I'm not embarrassed by wearing it at all but will it cause a "problem?" You know how some American's are...

Thanks Guys!

What problems could there be? Riots, being thrown overboard, having the Captain tell you to cover up. None, nada, nope, nothing will happen. Sorry to disappoint you. The old saying goes...If you got it flaunt it; if you don't cover up. I see young women wearing small two piece bikinis - so why can't a guy? As long as it covers up your equipment and you feel comfortable in it - go ahead. IMO I'd stay away from a sting or thong style as those rarely look good but only on people with incredible body types. I'll never forget I was on a straight cruise and there were as two hunky straight guys from Texas wearing speedos and cowboy boots around the pool - they knew they were hot and man did they get a lot of attention from the girls.

I was going to mention the ich girl factor but x'ed it.....

There is a difference between sensual, sexual & comfort...those guys in the boots were selling pure sex.....the euro men are purely sensual.....

What problems could there be? Riots, being thrown overboard, having the Captain tell you to cover up. None, nada, nope, nothing will happen. Sorry to disappoint you. The old saying goes...If you got it flaunt it; if you don't cover up. I see young women wearing small two piece bikinis - so why can't a guy? As long as it covers up your equipment and you feel comfortable in it - go ahead. IMO I'd stay away from a sting or thong style as those rarely look good but only on people with incredible body types. I'll never forget I was on a straight cruise and there were as two hunky straight guys from Texas wearing speedos and cowboy boots around the pool - they knew they were hot and man did they get a lot of attention from the girls.

The old saying goes...If you got it flaunt it; if you don't cover up.

My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, I'm part of the latter group, so jams work best for me, but if you're OK with some extra attention and a little bit of leering, go for it.

Be proud of your Speedo and how you wear it. My BF has always worn the short, tight boxer-cut style. I've actually watched other people watch him as he climbs out of the spa or pool...men and women! Of course they probably whisper and gossip on the boards and to their cliques, but they do watch. Intersting...

I wouldn't be ashamed at all. Speedos, or going commando, whatever. Why should a man be judged because of his anatomy? As another mentioned, 'be true to yourself'! :)

I remember my one and only Carnival cruise. I was one of the very few non North Americans on board and I was also the only person wearing European style trunks. I felt very self conscious, not helped by being short and skinny, and went out and bought American style board shorts in Miami before I boarded Celebrity later that day. With a much higher percentage of Europeans on board I didn't feel as self conscious in my trunks however.

I'm not so shy now and wear E.S. swim wear. Google it!

I say wear whatever you're comfortable with and whatever is considered reasonably decent given body shape, age and fellow cruisers!

I remember my one and only Carnival cruise. I was one of the very few non North Americans on board and I was also the only person wearing European style trunks. I felt very self conscious, not helped by being short and skinny, and went out and bought American style board shorts in Miami before I boarded Celebrity later that day. With a much higher percentage of Europeans on board I didn't feel as self conscious in my trunks however.

I'm not so shy now and wear E.S. swim wear. Google it!

I say wear whatever you're comfortable with and whatever is considered reasonably decent given body shape, age and fellow cruisers!

And anything the love of your life likes to see you in!!!

Hi Guys!

Thanks Guys!

Personally I think it's how you look in them. I'm in my late 50's & no longer have that nice smooth bod. I stick to the cargo/surfer type shorts now. I guess it's up to the individual. I've never seen any issues with folks being asked not to wear speedos. Then again I've never seen anyone in one of those "dental floss" thongs on board,either.

they get a lot of attention from the girls and the guys;)

I had the same question in my head, glad you brought it up!

Heading out with my partner in a few weeks and he looks great in them, me not so much.

I want to spend as much time on the deck getting a tan, especially since Marc Jacobs has so many cute suits to show off. Lol.

Go for it.

If you pay attention to your body during your life, take care of it and your heart and mind, and don't use it all up doing crazy stuff when you're young (everyone here knows what I mean), you can look good in a speedo well into your 60s, maybe even later...I'll let you know...

If you're uncomfortable with that thought, remember that you too will be in your 60s someday...

Happy sailing, guys!

Two straight guys from Texas in speedeos & cowboy hats? They are supposed to be straight?? I wonder..

keithM and CruisingJoe - Nice to see you both out and about - it has been a while...

My Partner and I still have our speedos in the bottom of the dresser drawer (shrine of memories), and though we are not overweight your body does change (everything is always in the wrong place as you age :eek::))... IMHO if you have a nice body in good shape - wear it - if not don't. We also see the men mainly on European cruises or someimes here in FL wearing a speedo and you can't see it because it is trapped between the layers of fat of the stomach and their legs. Not a pretty picture.

We feel the same way with women - some wear a bikini that they outgrew of 20 years ago. We saw a women in a lepoard skin bikini on one cruise (husband was fairly good looking) - she was HUGE and he thought she was the bell of the ball -when she sat down on that lounge chair and lifted a leg up-- it was not a pretty site. don't let me start on the "muffin top" look - it is disgusting IMO.

If you have an in shape body - wear it (men or women); if not don't.

Happy Sailing!!!:)

Edited by neilrr

I am definitely a speedo lover. I've had times when I was the only guy on the ship wearing a speedo. As long as you're fit and comfortable with yourself, don't worry about anyone else. There are probably several other guys on every cruise that want to wear speedos, but are afraid for whatever reason. Seeing a guy who is confident wearing them may help those guys.

On one [straight] cruise we were on, they had the usual poolside games. One was a 'hunky guy' contest. One guy pulled down his board shorts to reveal a tight squarecut with a rather large bulge. He seemed like a straight guy, but who knows. Anyway, after the contest, he put is board shorts back on.

I think the more confident, fit guys that people see in speedos, perhaps the better chances are current American views on swimwear will change.

keithM and CruisingJoe - Nice to see you both out and about - it has been a while...

My Partner and I still have our speedos in the bottom of the dresser drawer (shrine of memories), and though we are not overweight your body does change (everything is always in the wrong place as you age :eek::))... IMHO if you have a nice body in good shape - wear it - if not don't. We also see the men mainly on European cruises or someimes here in FL wearing a speedo and you can't see it because it is trapped between the layers of fat of the stomach and their legs. Not a pretty picture.

We feel the same way with women - some wear a bikini that they outgrew of 20 years ago. We saw a women in a lepoard skin bikini on one cruise (husband was fairly good looking) - she was HUGE and he thought she was the bell of the ball -when she sat down on that lounge chair and lifted a leg up-- it was not a pretty site. don't let me start on the "muffin top" look - it is disgusting IMO.

If you have an in shape body - wear it (men or women); if not don't.

Happy Sailing!!!:)

Thanks. how did you guys like Oceania? Or HAL/Celebrity? I've heard Celebrity is "dumbing" down their food/dresscodes quite a bit. Since Cunard has pretty much abandoned the Caribbean, Richard & I need to look at other lines. We did a vacation in Vegas this year instead of cruising.We seem to be looking at HAL for next year, as their prices seem quite reasonable.I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Who's going to be brave and post the first example picture of speedos on the lido deck?

We had some French guy try to cut through the Princess Grill a few years back on Cunard. There we were all decked in our Tuxes & this guy waltzes in a wet speedo.Not a nice bod,either.The Maitre D removed him quite fast. It seems a number of French pax(small minority,mind you) like to do this to cause a scene.