Stupid Question!

FloridaLaura

I am not too techy, I have a question about free WiFi in port. I have a smart phone, and I am on Facebook. If I were at a bar on an island on our upcoming cruise and it says free WiFi, does that mean I can post pics on facebook from my cell phone and do instant messaging through Facebook all for free??

I wouldn't be texting or calling from a foreign country but just using free wifi correct??

Plus, if you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod you can also FaceTime with others who have iPhones/iPads/iPods. (If they are available when you try to contact them. Which is really cool if you're kids are at home. (Better than just a call!). I will say, the reception was a bit sketchy when we were in Cozumel in December. We were at Starbucks, and everyone was on the wifi, so that weakened the signal.

Plus, if you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod you can also FaceTime with others who have iPhones/iPads/iPods. (If they are available when you try to contact them. Which is really cool if you're kids are at home. (Better than just a call!). I will say, the reception was a bit sketchy when we were in Cozumel in December. We were at Starbucks, and everyone was on the wifi, so that weakened the signal.

Also iMessage works. It shows as blue on your text page.

That is true! Make sure you have your phone on airplane mode to ensure that you do not connect to any local cell towers.

On airplane mode for most phones (iPhone included), you can't get wifi if the phone is in airplane mode. You want to turn wifi on, cellular data and data roaming off so you only are using the wifi. In most ports look to see where to crew goes and thats your best spot for wifi. Some ports have wifi in the customs/port terminal, and others its usually a restaurant or bar nearby. Just look for everyone sitting outside on the ground, stairs, leaning against the wall and trash cans, or the sign stating "Free Wi-fi.". You can often get a strong signal by just being outside.

Edited by sjcruiser

On airplane mode for most phones (iPhone included), you can't get wifi if the phone is in airplane mode. You want to turn wifi on, cellular data and data roaming off so you only are using the wifi. In most ports look to see where to crew goes and thats your best spot for wifi. Some ports have wifi in the customs/port terminal, and others its usually a restaurant or bar nearby. Just look for everyone sitting outside on the ground, stairs, leaning against the wall and trash cans, or the sign stating "Free Wi-fi.". You can often get a strong signal by just being outside.

I am using the CC app on my iPhone to post this reply . I'm in airplane mode and wifi is working.

You do need to turn wifi on manually, though.

That is true! Make sure you have your phone on airplane mode to ensure that you do not connect to any local cell towers.

I have an andriod Samsung Note. Should I still put it in airplane mode?

Thanks everyone for all the great tips!!!

Edited by FloridaLaura

Thank you!

Edited by FloridaLaura

We have ATT as our wireless carrier, I remove the SIM card from my phone and keep the SIM in a safe place and then I don't have to worry about accidentally getting any charges. I can still use my phone in ports thru any place that has Wifi. I also install apps to be able to text and call thru Wi-Fi

We have ATT as our wireless carrier, I remove the SIM card from my phone and keep the SIM in a safe place and then I don't have to worry about accidentally getting any charges. I can still use my phone in ports thru any place that has Wifi. I also install apps to be able to text and call thru Wi-Fi

oh great thanks!

Yup!! Easy Peasy!!:D:D I know the little bar we went to in St. Thomas had a password, but as long as you bought a drink, or food, you got it. Enjoy!!!!

St Thomas should be considered US by most carriers if you are from US. I used my cell in St. Thomas with my regular plan no issues or additional charges.

What app allows you to call through Wi-Fi? I am aware of texting through Lines and WhatsApp. Actually, I think you can call via Lines also but perhaps there are other, better ones.

St Thomas should be considered US by most carriers if you are from US. I used my cell in St. Thomas with my regular plan no issues or additional charges.

Yes. I had a "chat" the other day with a rep. from Verizon. He said I can use my phone as if I was at home in St. Thomas since it is US territory. No need to worry about wi-fi. Perfect day to check in at home!

Yes. I had a "chat" the other day with a rep. from Verizon. He said I can use my phone as if I was at home in St. Thomas since it is US territory. No need to worry about wi-fi. Perfect day to check in at home!

Puerto Rico is also part of AT&T's plan.