Lots of Newbie Questions Here:

Lynzeej

Hi! Newbie here!,

SO many questions...here goes (if you are only allowed one question per thread my apologies in advance!):

1. What is the best way to get from the airport to our ship in Ft. Lauderdale? We are flying in the Ft. Lauderdale and have plenty of time to get to the ship. I noticed there is a transportation option on the Royal Caribbean "My Dashboard". Is this the best way to go?
  2. Does our luggage stay with us or disappear and appear later in our cabin? We took a cruise on Holland in Alaska a few years ago and I had MAJOR anxiety about this and basically hyper-ventilated until I knew our luggage was all accounted for in our stateroom. Am I being silly? Is this just how it's done on cruises? Should I just go have some drinks and relax? If so, just tell me and I will let it be. :)
  3. I've read so many threads and blogs and boards about the MTD plan but I am still confused. So...if I sign up for My Time Dining I have a specific time I dine and I pay for this luxury but I still might have to wait for a seat. But if I don't do MTD, I can still walk up at any time and get a seat and might have to wait also? I just don't understand why people would pay for this if that is truly the case? Please explain if this is not really how it works. Thank you! Again, newbie here...
  4. I get it...no one will tell you what the best excursions are. It's all subjective and I understand that. I just want to know one thing...out of all of these ports: San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Labadee (sp?)...which has the most crystal clear water? This might help answer my question about which has the best snorkeling. ;)

Thank you all for the input in advance! This is an AWESOME site and I appreciate all the feedback!!! :rolleyes:

A taxi is your cheapest, fastest way. Don't use the ship's transport, or you'll be sitting, waiting on a shuttle to fill up!

You will pick up your luggage at the airport, take it to the ship, where the porters will take it and it will be delivered to your cabin. NEVER check your valuables or anything you need before dinner!! Yes...this is how it's done on ships! No worries! Do tip the porters $1-2 per bag! If you are too worried, crosspack...something of each of yours in each suitcase...that way, everyone will have something! It's rare for bags to go missing.

You are not paying "extra" for MTD....you may make reservations for the time you like, or you can just show up during the hours that it's open. Any "wait" should be minimal...you are seated just like in a restaurant. You simply paid your shipboard tips in advance, so you're done with that. There is no cost for My Time Dining! If you decide NOT to do MTD, you will be placed in traditional dining, where you will have a 'set' time to eat dinner. If you tend to eat about the same time each night, this is not a bad way to do it! You won't have to pay the tips in advance,...,they will be added to your shipboard account and you'll pay at the end of the cruise. Traditional seating consists of early or main seating, which is around 5:30-6pm...and late seating, which is around 8-8:30 pm...depending on the ship. Takes all the quesswork out of it! Both forms of dining are in the same dining room and have the same menu and dress code. It's simply with My Time Dining, you can vary the times you eat dinner. With Traditional, you eat at the same time nightly, if you eat in the dining room.

A guidebook will tell you ALL you need to know about beaches, snorkeling, currents, etc!

Edited by cb at sea

I would def do a taxi after u arrive in Fort Lauderdale.

From cruise port luggage guys will take ur luggage from there and will b at ur room later that day. I suggest to explore the ship during this time. I have been on 3 cruises and our luggage has always made it too our room.

If you enjoy snorkeling I would suggest if available try and do snuba! It's not scuba so u don't have to b certified. I love it so much better than snorkeling

Don't worry about anything just enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Answers in brown.

Hi! Newbie here!,

SO many questions...here goes (if you are only allowed one question per thread my apologies in advance!):

1. What is the best way to get from the airport to our ship in Ft. Lauderdale? We are flying in the Ft. Lauderdale and have plenty of time to get to the ship. I noticed there is a transportation option on the Royal Caribbean "My Dashboard". Is this the best way to go? Taxi is the fastest and cheapest way.
  2. Does our luggage stay with us or disappear and appear later in our cabin? We took a cruise on Holland in Alaska a few years ago and I had MAJOR anxiety about this and basically hyper-ventilated until I knew our luggage was all accounted for in our stateroom. Am I being silly? Is this just how it's done on cruises? Should I just go have some drinks and relax? If so, just tell me and I will let it be. :) Your luggage goes with the porters at the port and then reappears in your stateroom. On my first cruise, I took Royal Caribbean's transfer at Miami. My luggage never showed up at the ship after I handed it to the RCCL rep at the airport. I was alone and had no luggage for 7 days. RCCL had no idea where it was. It reappeared at MIA after I disembarked. The person who gave it to me sped away with no explanation. So, no, you're not crazy for being anxious about this. I am too.
  3. I've read so many threads and blogs and boards about the MTD plan but I am still confused. So...if I sign up for My Time Dining I have a specific time I dine and I pay for this luxury but I still might have to wait for a seat. But if I don't do MTD, I can still walk up at any time and get a seat and might have to wait also? I just don't understand why people would pay for this if that is truly the case? Please explain if this is not really how it works. Thank you! Again, newbie here… MTD means that you do not have a fixed dining time. Everyone has a seat in the dining room, whether it's early, late or MTD. There is no fee for dining in the dining room - it's included in your fare. With early or late, you are assigned a certain table which does not change during your cruise. The table number will be on your sea pass. You do not need to wait for anyone at the MDR entrance, just proceed to your table. With MTD, you can make a reservation or just show up when you want. With MTD, just like in a restaurant, you need to line up at the podium and the maitre d' will have someone show you to a table.
  4. I get it...no one will tell you what the best excursions are. It's all subjective and I understand that. I just want to know one thing...out of all of these ports: San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Labadee (sp?)...which has the most crystal clear water? This might help answer my question about which has the best snorkeling. ;)

Thank you all for the input in advance! This is an AWESOME site and I appreciate all the feedback!!! :rolleyes:

Hi

Just wanted to add this about the luggage since you're flying.

Do not put the cruise tags on your bags before the flight. Check your bags like normal for the flight. After you get the bags & are at the port then attach your cruise luggage tags. You can either do that or the porters will have tags you can use.

You aren't paranoid about the luggage I was like that the first time too. I always carry a day bag with a change of clothes just in case.

MTD - yes you may wait or not wait when you go to dine. Some cruise lines let you make a standing reservation for dinner using MTD. It's seems to be one of those things people either love or hate. We tried it once & the first 2 nights we got in fairly quickly, the 3rd night they put us at a 10 person table & it took forever to fill up, it was a nightmare. Most lines make you pay the gratuities up front when you use that option, which could be why you think you are paying extra for it.

Quick question - when you say pay gratuities up front...is this something I am going to have to pay for any way? Whether or not I eat in that dining room or not? Are you talking about the per person/per day gratuities that the cruise line will charge? With the MTD they are making me pay that up front? Just wanted to clarify.

Thanks again!

Quick question - when you say pay gratuities up front...is this something I am going to have to pay for any way? Whether or not I eat in that dining room or not? Are you talking about the per person/per day gratuities that the cruise line will charge? With the MTD they are making me pay that up front? Just wanted to clarify.

Thanks again!

Gratuities cover your room steward, waiter and asst. waiter. Depending upon the cabin you have, it will be around $11-13/day/person. You can prepay them upfront [easiest - done and one less thing to worry about]; or they can go on your sea pass card each day, which amounts to the same thing, except that it is being taken care of during the cruise, not before. You have the option to remove the automatic tipping and tip [or not] your room steward, waiter and asst. waiter. However, it is my understanding that they are required to turn those tips into the general pool, which is then divided among the crew, including those you don't see, but still help make your cruise pleasant. If you are displeased with service from a crew member, it is better to address it while on board rather than just deny tips.

Our position - pay as much upfront as possible; tips, excursions. That way I don't get additional expenses at the end of the cruise, but different strokes for different folks.