Explorer Bookings

Mr Rumor

It's not even Monday yet here in the Land of Enchantment and already 12 of the 16 suite categories for the Explorer's maiden and second voyages are Wait Listed. Only availability is in the two Superior and two Concierge categories.

Funny, I just checked the Regent site again and see that the Veranda categories on the maiden voyage now show Guaranteed, and the second voyage is almost completely Available. Gremlins?

I doubt that Regent is even working today. In any event, I've found that info on the Regent website has to be taken with a "boulder" of salt! It will be interesting to find out what cabins sell the fastest - a discussion to be held with my TA.

I doubt that Regent is even working today. In any event, I've found that info on the Regent website has to be taken with a "boulder" of salt! It will be interesting to find out what cabins sell the fastest - a discussion to be held with my TA.

I would think that, given the fact that bookings are now open on the Explorer at least the Reservations office is working overtime today... I know it is a holiday in the US but in my experience that is exactly when Res. staff need to be on tap because people have time to consider a booking and then of course want to make it.

At the Explorer presentation we were told that they would have extra staff working today to handle the anticipated (and correct) strong interest in reservations.

We actually asked about the "shake-down" cruise - they refer to it as the "christening cruise" and they were not extremely forthcoming but from reading between the lines it appears it will be for employees and their families and maybe some special passengers.

Hey Mike - if you are reading this, and I am sure you are, my Mom and I would love to be on the christening cruise - Jason has my email address and knows how to reach me! My Mom and I wanted to go on the inaugural cruise, but I have a date conflict.

gnomie :)

Edited by gnomie1

It's not even Monday yet here in the Land of Enchantment and already 12 of the 16 suite categories for the Explorer's maiden and second voyages are Wait Listed. Only availability is in the two Superior and two Concierge categories.

We were in the cruise consultant's office at 8:30 AM this morning, the opening bell for booking the Explorer. As Mr Rumor stated, the maiden voyage already had limited availability, with only category E and lower having any suites available. Obviously Regent pre-sold most of the MV to dignitaries or special guests.

Anyhow, we secured the best suite we could, and will join the Maiden Voyage. Within an hour of opening, category E was gone, leaving only F.

Unless something changes, non-titanium have little chance of sailing on the maiden voyage.

I was on the phone with someone at Regent/Oceania this morning because I was speaking to an agent I work with there about two Oceania cruises that I have booked. While on the phone with him I asked about the Regent Explorer bookings. He said the maiden voyage was pretty well sold out and reservations were taken for some of the other itineraries as well. I had some interest in booking one of the cruises (not the maiden voyage) and finally decided against it. I think the prices are really high and have decided to wait for now. I would be interested in seeing where the ship goes after November.

I too am waiting for the next cruises. I was hoping to take it for the Caribbean in January or February of 2017. Personally, I didn't like the port line up in the brochure...same old and we are doing this in late 2015. Going to the Med in the middle of the summer with the heat and the planes full of children, even in FC is not fun! I am wondering if the prices will be more reasonable on the next issue? Also, I am extremely disappointed in both Regent and Oceania in the short cruises. It is hardly worth 8 or 10 days. Have to find back-to-backs.

Anchorbuoy, thanks for the onboard MV booking report. Seems like this morning you almost had to be in the right place at the right moment, like you were, to be able to snare a suite.

Carol, I believe Caroldoll is correct in her reference to the Explorer plying the Caribbean in early 2017. At some point in November, the Explorer will have to traverse the Atlantic. We'd be possibly interested, as we'd have plenty of time to explore the Explorer on a TA.

Really??? At $5K pp/day!

Your numbers are a bit high -- it is closer to $1K - 3K per person per day (still not cheap:-) Regent does tend to book desirable itineraries 18+ months in advance. Sometimes it is difficult to realize that people can purchase a car for the price of a luxury cruise. If we thought about that fact, we would never cruise.:D

Edited by Travelcat2

Your numbers are a bit high -- it is closer to $1K - 3K per person per day (still not cheap:-) Regent does tend to book desirable itineraries 18+ months in advance. Sometimes it is difficult to realize that people can purchase a car for the price of a luxury cruise. If we thought about that fact, we would never cruise.:D

Maiden voyage 14 days at $70Kpp and next cruise is $50K pp for 10 days equals $5K pp/day!! This is definitely new territory price wise.

No, she is correct - the average price per night per person for the Regent suite is $5,000!

Little known fact, less than 1% of the world's population has over 50% of the world's wealth - guess some of them will be spending their money on Regent

gnomie. :)

This evening I received a telephone call from my travel agent, asking if we were interested in the inaugural cruise - I mentioned that I thought it was already sold out and she mentioned that she had made a number of reservations today. I think what may have happened is that some of Regent top performing TA's may have specific allocations to work from, so although it appears sold out from the very get go, as reported by some people who tried to book first thing Monday morning, in actuality there are still rooms available. We will know if my theory holds true on Thursday and platinum members are able to snatch a reservation.

gnomie. :)

Maiden voyage 14 days at $70Kpp and next cruise is $50K pp for 10 days equals $5K pp/day!! This is definitely new territory price wise.

Sorry..... "Regent suite" is a new category. I thought you were referring to a suite on Regent. Based on the cost of the top suites on Regent's other ships, this does not seem out of line. I'm surprised and disappointed that so few "Regent suites" are being built.

I have no use for such a gargantuan accommodation as the Regent Suite and I say that as someone who sails next week in a Master Suite. Nor am I so spa enamored that I would appreciate spa features smack in the middle of my digs. Neither do I have any use for a grand piano. And I am not one to skimp on splurges. Given the variety larger suites and number in each category, I expect Regent has fairly accurately worked out the demographics for accommodations. I expect Explorer will be quite the nice money maker for Regent which is, after all, the point.

The itineraries listed in this first round of voyages don't interest me. I'd like to see Norwegian Fjords, Australian Coast, South America, particularly Pacific coast.

I am rather looking forward to our impending cruise and expect we will be more than comfortable in the suite booked.

Perhaps I'm not in the league of the posters on this thread but I am very happy with the size of the regular suites on Explorer. We just booked our next cruise on the Explorer in category F2. The suite is larger than the regular suites on Regent and the bed faces the ocean. What's not to like?

In evaluating costs, my default position is "what could I do with the money that I would save if I took the more expensive choice?" The answer usually is that I could take another trip! On past trips, we didn't think that the concierge level was worth it and we didn't like having a butler. I'm sure that Regent knows that the most elaborate suites and even the cheapest seats will suit somebody!