Noordam - Roman Empire - Santorini

Jade13

Can someone who has been on this cruise recently confirm that the Noordam is not tendering in Santorini & will be docking at the base of the cable car?

I understand that the cable car is not near Fira?

Please confirm. I understand that last year this was a tender port.

This has always been a tender port for a cruise ship of any size. Once off the tender, if not on excursion, you may purchase a ticket to ride the lift to get to Fira which is straight above you.

That is what I thought too.

When we were there in September it was a tender port and I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about construction of a new dock. Also, it would have to be a very big dock to accomadate the Noordam.

This has always been a tender port for a cruise ship of any size. Once off the tender, if not on excursion, you may purchase a ticket to ride the lift to get to Fira which is straight above you.

You can also ride the donkey's up to Fira.

Can someone who has been on this cruise recently confirm that the Noordam is not tendering in Santorini & will be docking at the base of the cable car?

I understand that the cable car is not near Fira?

Please confirm. I understand that last year this was a tender port.

Just got back from Santorini, you'll need the tender to the cable car, 4 euros one way up to Fira or donkey or 1/2 hr walk up.

Just got back from Santorini, you'll need the tender to the cable car, 4 euros one way up to Fira or donkey or 1/2 hr walk up.

Someone else on my roll call e-mailed the ship coordinator, Holly Jacobus, and was given the same info they received from their TA that we are docking in Santorini.

Why would our sailing date be different than the other "Roman Empire" cruises this summer on the Noordam?

The Ship will dock in Thira, Nisos Thira near Santorini, there are no tendered ports of call on this cruise. There are shore excursions the can take you to Fira and if you would like to explore on your own the Port Agents can direct you to the public transportation.

If there is anything else I can do for you please let me know.

Thank you and kind regards,

Holly Jacobus

Ship Services Coordinator

ms Noordam & ms Rotterdam

Phone: 1-800-541-1576

Fax: 206-270-6048

hjacobus@hollandamerica.com

Someone else on my roll call e-mailed the ship coordinator, Holly Jacobus, and was given the same info they received from their TA that we are docking in Santorini.

Why would our sailing date be different than the other "Roman Empire" cruises this summer on the Noordam?

The Ship will dock in Thira, Nisos Thira near Santorini, there are no tendered ports of call on this cruise. There are shore excursions the can take you to Fira and if you would like to explore on your own the Port Agents can direct you to the public transportation.

Holly Jacobus

I hope you keep photographs and video evidence of this " historic" docking at "Nisos"....anything that goes into Athinios is a ferry or a frieghter

They all dock "aft on"

see

http://www.santorini.tk/santorini/images/stories/santorini/athinios_p.jpg

There isn't enough space for any cruise ship ....sorry!

No escaping the cable car, donkey or walk unless you are on a ships tour :(

I hope you keep photographs and video evidence of this " historic" docking at "Nisos"....anything that goes into Athinios is a ferry or a frieghter

They all dock "aft on"

see

http://www.santorini.tk/santorini/images/stories/santorini/athinios_p.jpg

There isn't enough space for any cruise ship ....sorry!

No escaping the cable car, donkey or walk unless you are on a ships tour :(

Alan, I agree with you. I have been to Santorini, but it has been 24 years. I worked on an archeology dig (on Ithaki Island) and afterwards traveled to Santorini and Crete.

Since I am in the US I just picked up the phone and called Holly. I asked her if she would please e-mail the ship for confirmation.

Btw, did you do the 10 night or 20 night last year on Westerdam? I can not remember. I am really looking forward to Malta and Dubrovnik. This is OT but can you remind me of the artist that you like in Dubrovnik and their gallery location?

Alan, I agree with you. I have been to Santorini, but it has been 24 years. I worked on an archeology dig (on Ithaki Island) and afterwards traveled to Santorini and Crete.

Since I am in the US I just picked up the phone and called Holly. I asked her if she would please e-mail the ship for confirmation.

Btw, did you do the 10 night or 20 night last year on Westerdam? I can not remember. I am really looking forward to Malta and Dubrovnik. This is OT but can you remind me of the artist that you like in Dubrovnik and their gallery location?

Hi,

You are right we did the 20 day....the Croatian artist we liked and have been collecting is Antonia Ruskovic ?sp?....her original work is in a few of the galleries in Dubrovnik

You'll love the old centre on Valletta very atmospheric slightly east meets west :)

Going back to Santorini it would so much better if the customer services staff actually visited the places they talk about....then you'd get decent and accurate information......but I guess that's an on cost for the cruise companies

You and Michael have a wonderful time! :)

Holly Jacobus

I asked the Noordam Coordinator to e-mail the ship and received the following answer (Note that the image was too large to post):

"I have asked the ship and been corrected. The ship does anchor in Santorini and has tenders taken to the port. The ship supplied the following image to help map out the area where the tenders drop off the guests. I’m sorry for the confusion all of our information in the office says that the ship docks. I will defiantly let my supervisor know this is incorrect and that the ship is anchored.

cid:image002.jpg@01C8DB59.7B85AEB0

Holly Jacobus

hjacobus@hollandamerica.com"

We were there last month on Princess and saw no docks, Anchors only. One bit of confusion was cleared up by our tour guide. There is an old port and a new port. If you are on a ship excursion you go to the new port where buses await. If you are touring on your own ( like we were with a private driver) you tender to the old port below Fira where the donkeys and cable cars are. The cable car takes you right up to Fira, the donkeys take you most of the way up, you have to walk the last bit yourself and its steep.

We were told some days as many as 10 cruise ships anchor off Santorini. Go early in the day

Archived