Airfare strategy

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Florida Departures

Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami & Port Canaveral & Tampa
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:22 PM.
37 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by EuroDate20
Senior moment! We will be flying from Sacramento to FLL.
Flights from SFO to FLL on Southwest look fairly reasonable right now. You can always change them later if you get a better deal out of SAC.

Also, how do you feel about a side-trip to Vegas? I'm seeing fares as low as $110 from LAS to FLL.
Ontario
74 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
We just booked Southwest yesterday for November, the best price was from DTW to FLL. The saving wiped out the exchange rate deficit of a SW flight from BUF, and was way better than any flight from YYZ.
Sacramento, California
14 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I wish I could pay $140, but the fare from Sacramento to FLL is between $320 - $580 each way. All of the flights have at least one stop, with most stops being in the cities that are what I consider, potential bad weather areas (Denver, Chicago, Baltimore) in mid November. On the return, there's no flights between 10 am and 4 pm. The Wanna Getaway fare for the 10 am flight is sold out. Flying out of Oakland is cheaper, but still costing the two of us nearly $1300 round trip. Yikes!
We're also flying from Sacramento (SMF) to FLL in November and we're paying the prices you're finding. However, while we're taking Southwest going, we're taking American back. Like you're finding, Southwest has terrible return times (too early or really late afternoon) and questionable connections. American flies through Dallas and has better return flight times (late morning and early afternoon). And the prices were actually a little cheaper than Southwest.

Southwest had the best going times (and connections) to FLL. Plus we prefer to fly Southwest when we can.

It doesn't really cost anymore to reserve two one-ways on separate airlines than a round-trip on one.
Ontario
74 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
  • Hi
    I wish I could pay $140, but the fare from Sacramento to FLL is between $320 - $580 each way. All of the flights have at least one stop, with most stops being in the cities that are what I consider, potential bad weather areas (Denver, Chicago, Baltimore) in mid November. On the return, there's no flights between 10 am and 4 pm. The Wanna Getaway fare for the 10 am flight is sold out. Flying out of Oakland is cheaper, but still costing the two of us nearly $1300 round trip. Yikes!
Have you looked at flying via Mexico with a Mexican airline? It may be an option for you.
Ontario
74 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by ssmea03
  • Hi
Have you looked at flying via Mexico with a Mexican airline? It may be an option for you.
Interjet serve Miami and LA from Mexico city.
Oklahoma City
7,507 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by oldfolkie
We're also flying from Sacramento (SMF) to FLL in November and we're paying the prices you're finding. However, while we're taking Southwest going, we're taking American back. Like you're finding, Southwest has terrible return times (too early or really late afternoon) and questionable connections. American flies through Dallas and has better return flight times (late morning and early afternoon). And the prices were actually a little cheaper than Southwest.

Southwest had the best going times (and connections) to FLL. Plus we prefer to fly Southwest when we can.

It doesn't really cost anymore to reserve two one-ways on separate airlines than a round-trip on one.
Good point on purchasing two, one way tickets, especially on SW with its generous exchange/cancel policy. That way if one leg drops price (and the other is higher) you can get the savings.
Florida
394 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
The Wanna Getaway fare for the 10 am flight is sold out. Flying out of Oakland is cheaper, but still costing the two of us nearly $1300 round trip. Yikes!
Already sold out on the first day the flights opened up? Have you checked again, could they have not had everything up and runnung when you were first looking?

I booked 2 flights the day they posted and prices were good. But I still watch off and on and take advantage of better prices as they happen.
California
308 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Actually, there's two returning flights that are now sold out of the Wanna Getaway fares. I've booked Southwest from Oakland to FLL, but would prefer Sacramento and not do the 2 hour drive to Oakland.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Disney Magic 2003, 2004
Freedom of the Seas 2006, 2013, 2015
Mariner of the Seas 2009, 2010
Oasis of the Seas 2011, 2014
Celebrity Infinity 2012
Allure of the Seas 2014
Liberty of the Seas 2017
37 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by DaveOKC
Good point on purchasing two, one way tickets, especially on SW with its generous exchange/cancel policy. That way if one leg drops price (and the other is higher) you can get the savings.
When flying Southwest, I always book one way tickets so that the outbound or return is easier to change.
Independence, MO
57 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
What I have learned about SW is to keep checking the rates. It seems their fares changes constantly. I check in the morning, afternoon and evening & prices are different each time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Debbie
Urbandale, Iowa
1,198 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
I'm looking at the flights the week after Thanksgiving, and going there from Des Moines the only time offered is awful (gets in at 12:15am on embarkation day, no thank you) so we are looking at flying out of Kansas City (a three hour drive) and then fly back to Des Moines the day after debarkation.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anthomaniac

3 Posts
Joined May 2017
We are having the same problem. We were able to get our flight down to FLL last month for $92 from EWR. But when they opened the rest of November up last week the 'wanna get away' low fares sold out within minutes. Now the cheapest to get back to either Philly or Newark from FLL is $365 one way. We have at minimum 13 people trying to get home on Sunday the 12th. Some can do Monday but would prefer Sunday. But even the Monday fares are getting up there price wise.
Oklahoma City
7,507 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by suz1124
We are having the same problem. We were able to get our flight down to FLL last month for $92 from EWR. But when they opened the rest of November up last week the 'wanna get away' low fares sold out within minutes. Now the cheapest to get back to either Philly or Newark from FLL is $365 one way. We have at minimum 13 people trying to get home on Sunday the 12th. Some can do Monday but would prefer Sunday. But even the Monday fares are getting up there price wise.
Sunday flights are normally the highest for the week, closely followed by Monday, on SW especially.
The Third Coast - Nashville
7,455 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
That weekend is a "holiday" weekend due to Veterans Day. Government workers, bank workers, etc. who get a day off use it as a getaway weekend. I hope you can find something more affordable, or prices come down, because those fares are steep.

Roz
3 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by Roz
That weekend is a "holiday" weekend due to Veterans Day. Government workers, bank workers, etc. who get a day off use it as a getaway weekend. I hope you can find something more affordable, or prices come down, because those fares are steep.

Roz
I forgot it was Veterans Day weekend. So it's a double whammy for those of us in NJ because its also NJEA week and the kids have off school that Thursday and Friday due to the teachers "convention" in Atlantic City. That's the whole reason we picked the week of 11/5 to go on the cruise.
San Francisco Bay Area, California
64 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
As previously mentioned, the fares from the west coast are extraordinarily high (we are flying out of Oakland to Ft. Lauderdale) in December.

When Southwest published their fares last week, the "get away" fare for the return trip was showing as not available. We checked again yesterday and that fare suddenly became available so I called SW and was able to lower our fees by $500 total.

Definitely check daily, the system changes hourly.
22 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
I have also found the flight prices to be crazy for November 2017. We looked at and monitored all our options for almost 2 months, and the costs just increased for all routes and airlines
- Buffalo to Miami, Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale
- Toronto to Miami, Toronto to Fort Lauderdale

We started to get worried about flights selling out for the better flight times (I did not want to be stuck flying home at 7 pm!!) , so we booked about two weeks ago (wish we had booked 2 months ago!!!) We paid $1200 CAN for Toronto to Miami for two ppl, which is about $200 more than I was hoping for. But in the end, it was worth it to have an early afternoon flight home.

And I soon as I booked my flights, I cancelled all my alerts on google flights - I do not want to know if the prices went down. Now I just have to wait for my cruise....
NW Ohio
187 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by ssmea03
We just booked Southwest yesterday for November, the best price was from DTW to FLL. The saving wiped out the exchange rate deficit of a SW flight from BUF, and was way better than any flight from YYZ.
I actually just booked Jet Blue from DTW to FLL non stop in November for 102.00 each way. I found SW rates to be high out of DTW and no nonstop. Columbus Ohio( which is an option for us, but I presume not for you being from Canada) SW had non stop but still high.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

[
[