Is a balcony a must for Alaska?

Canadianweaselette

a balcony is wonderful for Alaska and if you can afford it get it. many of us opt for a inside or ocean view so we can have more money for tours and thnings to do in the ports. there are many glassed areas on the ships too set at and get all the views you want. I loved the balcony I was lucky enough too get for one of my Alaska cruises. but I also don't spend hardly any time in the cabin so a inside is good enough for me.

you will not regret getting a balcony cabin but you can also get along without one. :)

There will be as many that need a balcony as there will be that could do without it..It's a personal and budget decision for each of us...I for one always book a JS or above regardless of itinerary..I at least want the kind of acommodations I would have in a hotel..Will be on the May 17th northbound Alaska (2nd time) and will enjoy my cabin and all that view from my balcony has to offer :D

I started cruising in AK with a huge balcony of a suite on the Aft of the ship - had a wonderful time. I have since cruised in a std balcony and another suite. On our last trip we had my MIL whom we had not seen in quite some time so it was nice to have both a suite and the huge floor to ceiling windows to watch things go by and converse and catch up. Sometimes in AK it is warm enough to go out and sit - and yes I have been know to bundle up and sit on the balcony - as long as it is not raining :D.

To me a cruise is a luxury vacation and so when I take one I go first class. I also spend money on excursions which can cost more than the cruise in AK :rolleyes:. So I guess that if you have the $$ for both a balcony room and the excursions you want to do, then by all means get one. If you are in a pinch - go for a cheaper inside and keep the excursions.

I really enjoy a balcony we went early June and many mornings were cool but I still sat outside and enjoyed my coffee and croissants. I like how much brighter the room is along with being able to sit outside.

But as has been said some folks book the cheapest inside room and spend the extra $$ on nicer dining or excursions.

I have had inside, oceanview and balcony cabins, now I only book a balcony.

We would say if u r going to Alaska only once or it's your first time, then balcony is certainly worth it! :)

We went to Alaska last sep in a balcony cabin and throughly enjoyed it!

You might want to check out our review. :)

http://discoverbooktravel.blogspot.com/2012/10/day-1-diamond-princess-alaska-cruise-caribe-deck-balcony.html

Thanks everyone. This would be our first time in Alaska. I won't say it'll be the only time since I have no idea how much we'll love it.

I must say though, there are way more things to consider when booking Alaska vs. Caribbean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using Tapatalk 2

I am starting to research an Alaskan cruise for a couple years from now. I get the sense that a balcony is a must but for those who have done Alaska what do you think?

No, not essential. I've been 6 times, never had a balcony. Next time (if I can manage this at all) I'll be in an OV again for 14 days. For me, Alaska is about the destination, not the accommodation. DH and I have become a "warm weather balcony s l u t s" :D but for Alaska? Nope, gimme whatever I can afford so I can get back to ALASKA. (I spend a lot on shore experiences in Alaska, and travel Alaska solo, and have a restricted budget for travel so.... )

I am starting to research an Alaskan cruise for a couple years from now. I get the sense that a balcony is a must but for those who have done Alaska what do you think?

I wouldn't say having a balcony is a must but it is definitely nice to have on the glacier viewing days. I guess it also depends on how much time you plan to spend in your cabin and what time of the season you plan to go. Weather can vary so much that if you are planning to spend alot of time on your balcony, the weather might just disappoint you since it can be so unpredictable. Also, another thing to keep in mind on a 7-day RT is that 3 of the days are spent in port. Assuming that it is your first visit to Alaska, I would imagine that you would be off ship doing an excursion or two.

I never get a balcony as a partial view is never my preference, and I find a cruise vacation, way down the luxury pole for me, after 78 cruises. I am delighted those find it "necessary" as those higher costs, allow my rock bottom rates. Have to figure it out for themselves what cabin you want.

You are asking for very subjective responses and are therefore going to get just that. Knowing nothing about you, your budget, your age, your travel taste, your past experiences, etc., most of what you get may not be helpful. I will answer by saying that my husband and I spent our first cruise vacation in Alaska with a balcony and had the most fabulous experience watching whales breach right under our balcony in Glacier Bay on our wedding anniversary. And that was the worse cruise we have ever taken! While I would never book another cruise on that line again, I will always book a balcony or not bother. I would also recommend booking the smallest ship possible. You don't deal with crowds, but more importantly get to go places that a large ship can't go.

The answers you will get truly depends on the person answering. There are plenty of people who would not go on a cruise without a balcony. I have even read where some people said they would rather stay home than cruise without a balcony. :eek:

I have never cruised with a balcony, and I am sure I would like it very much, but it is just not in our budget. I would much rather spend my money on great excursions, which will cost big bucks in AK. If I had the budget to do both, I am sure I would. I have loved my two cruises to AK, once in an ocean view and once in an obstructed view ocean view. We just spent lots of time on deck and in lounges with great views. Everyone has different priorities. For me it is the excursions, for others it is the ship and that balcony.

Good luck deciding what will be best for you.

It is not a must as you can go on the open deck to enjoy the views from the ship.

Think carefully what the extra cost will be and if it impacts the excursions you would do then I would go without the balcony. If you can do both and it is within your budget I would do that.

Keith

I guess I could provide a but more info on us and budget...

At the time of the cruise it will be DH (47) and myself (39), possibly DS (10).

Right now I don't have a budget set because I have no idea what this will cost us, hence starting early with research. If I find a balcony is a "need" then I'd be willing to postpone a year to save up more.

We have been on one 4 day Bahamas with DCL and in 2014 we will be taking a 9 day E. Caribbean with NCL. We do not enjoy crowds which is why we chose a smaller ship this time.

I will also say that Alaska us DH's dream so I have no idea what I've gotten myself into trying to plan this ;)

We have done AK twice, once with an OV (limited one at that) and one with a large balcony.

Our balcony trip we spent one day at Tracy Arm and one at Glacier Bay and it was great having it (my wife spent alot of time out in the cold all bundled up to enjoy it). We also had some great views leaving Vancouver the first evening.

I would highly recommend the balcony. Is it a MUST? Hard to judge that for someone else, but given the total cost of the vacation, the upgrade to a balcony is a secondary expense IMO.

DaveOKC

not for me- the cost difference between a balcony and outside or even inside is so great and I really dont spend much time in the cabin. Also- it is cold so I did not spend much time on the balcony the first time that I went. When i wanted to have a nice view- i simply went up on the deck. I prefer to spend my dollars on the really nice excursions for the overall experience- not on the cabin. Just MHO

Listen to the posts - people are saying they had a great time, balcony or not. That's the message that counts. If you set your mind to it, an Alaska cruiser will be enjoyable.

(btw, We're balconyphiles. We enjoy the big glass doors and views even on cold days.)

We are taking our first cruise and knowing my husband - I knew we needed a balcony ... He's an intense birder and needs the instant access... He's also a very private person and having to navigate other guests to be outside is not his preference ..

We are taking our first cruise and knowing my husband - I knew we needed a balcony ... He's an intense birder and needs the instant access... He's also a very private person and having to navigate other guests to be outside is not his preference ..

I think I would be perfectly happy with an inside cabin but I know my DH and he is also a very private person and I think he'd get more enjoyment out of the balcony. We have only cruised inside before so I wouldn't know what I was missing ;)

Thank you all for your responses - it really helps to get different perspectives. I think my next step will be to figure out excursions and itinerary before deciding on ship and cabin.

Skip the balcony and use the money to go on a "once in a lifetime" excursion. I have done Alaska with an OV and with a balcony, the balcony was nice but not necessary by any means. I loved both trips and for me if the choice is Alaska in an inside or no Alaska at all I would take the inside cabin without a doubt.

We have done Alaska one previous trip and our next one is next year. The cost savings between an OV vs Balcony is enough for us to do an inside or ocean view cabin. Our next trip is an $1800 difference we opted for the ocean view cabin so we could do other things we wanted with the extra money saved.

In the end, the decision is yours and what works best for you on your vacation.

The answers you will get truly depends on the person answering. There are plenty of people who would not go on a cruise without a balcony. I have even read where some people said they would rather stay home than cruise without a balcony. :eek:

I am the opposite. I'd rather cruise every year in an inside cabin than not cruise at all. We are on a very tight budget, so it is worth it to me to spend less on a cabin so I have more to spend on excursions. The views are just as good (or better) up on the open decks, and they don't cost me anything extra. I spend a lot of time on deck and don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having a balcony. The two times I've had balconies, I was right next to chain smokers and rarely went on the balcony anyway. :rolleyes:

For us it has been a balcony in Alaska and inside for the Carribean. The reason is that the ship is not our main focus in Alaska it is the scenery and I cannot begin to tell you how many wonderful things we have seen from our balcony. I personally enjoy going to our cabin during the day and having a private place to myself to stand at the balcony and take it all in.

I think with a balcony it is the time of year you travel for Alaska. We have gone the end of May, middle of June and on the 4th of July. Had different temperatures for each one. I have stood on my balcony in a jacket to short sleeve shirts.

That said it is a personal choice. I would never say you should always have a balcony in Alaska. It is just a wonderful bonus for us. We also travel with other people and open our balcony partitions and have wonderful conversations on our own open patio.

The main thing is to take in every minute of the majestic beauty of the state of Alaska!!!!:)

We have yet to sail in an inside cabin (but am prepared to do so) but have done Alaska with a portholes, obstructed views and a balconies .... so is a balcony necessary.....no it is not. It is nice but on a 7 day return you are in ports for 3 days, on your glacier day you really want to be out on deck to take it all in and if sailing from Seattle on the west side of Vancouver Is. there is nothing to see for the better part of a day in either direction. Add in the risk of cool, wet, inclement weather (this is not the Caribbean) where you may not care to use your balcony....book an obstructed view and save your money for excursions.

Archived