huricane season ? early november ? western caribbean

eastcoaster13

Hello new to this forum and looking at taking a last minute cruise with my daughter in nov to western Caribbean. I have never cruised but have travelled quite a bit to the caribbean. Trying to do some research , quickly of course about whether this is a good option. Knowing that no one can predict the weather ! , how many people have cruised in western caribbean at this time of year and what has your experience been ? To say i am a bit nervous of a cruise and this time of year is a bit of an understatement .would appreciate any feedback before i take the plunge and choose water over land . Thanks:eek:

I've cruised several times n Oct/Nov time frames and twice we've either missed a port or been re-routed to a different one. As long as you remain flexible, think of it as an adventure, you should be fne. The captain is not going to take the ship into a storm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In 22 years of cruising we have cruised a number of times between July and September and have never been affected by a hurricane. That's not to say that it can't or won't happen, only that in our experience to date it never has.

Simply because it is hurricane season does not guarantee that hurricanes will occur, only that the conditions during that time are favorable for them to occur. Relative to the large number of cruise ships that are sailing every week in the Caribbean during the June - November hurricane season the percentage of those actually affected by hurricanes each year is very low.

Keep in mind that if one should develop, the more dangerous place to be IMO is on a Caribbean island in its path. Much rather be on a ship at sea where it can be maneuvered to avoid the storm.

Book your cruise and enjoy yourself and don't worry about the weather. And welcome to CC.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hello new to this forum and looking at taking a last minute cruise with my daughter in nov to western Caribbean. I have never cruised but have travelled quite a bit to the caribbean. Trying to do some research , quickly of course about whether this is a good option. Knowing that no one can predict the weather ! , how many people have cruised in western caribbean at this time of year and what has your experience been ? To say i am a bit nervous of a cruise and this time of year is a bit of an understatement .would appreciate any feedback before i take the plunge and choose water over land . Thanks:eek:

I can tell you that I have sailed plenty of times during "hurricane season" and have never had a problem yet...where's the wood to knock on?? I will even go as far to let you know that 2 of those hurricane season cruise were also on 9/11 :eek:. We had beautiful weather every time we have went. I'm sure one of these days my luck will change, but I'm really not worried since I know that even though you are in the ocean, it's pretty safe because they pretty much stay away from the hurricanes and outrun them. :D

The cruise lines will adjust destinations as well as staying in port an additional day to not "Shake the Ship" too much. This also causes ships to arrive late at the last port to take on new cruisers on the next venture. Have done this two times, arrived at port and ship was no where to be seen. Excuses given by company personnel, and finally boarded 6-12 hours later after arriving way late due to weather issues. You can find the schedule turned around 180 degrees and some ports missed. YMMV. Both were Carnival out of Florida.

Edited by Steviewonder1

During my one western Caribbean cruise in early November 1994, a tropical storm formed during our cruise. Just a few hours after we boarded our plane in Miami, the storm became a hurricane and eventually hit southern Florida. But don't worry, your captain will keep informed about weather conditions and if it's likely there will could be a severe storm, your itinerary may change.

We live in Florida and cruise in September almost every year. Last year we stayed home and I fell and fractured my pelvis pulling weeds. It's back to cruising for us. We leave in less than a week.

Only once did we need to change our itinerary when the captain deemed it unsafe.

I feel safer on a ship than at home in September. And November is the tail end of hurricane season.

Thanks for all the replies to my question. We have actually taken the plunge and my 27 year old daughter and I are going on the Carnival Conquest Nov.2 for the 7 day western caribean cruise . We were limited in what dates we could pick so this ended up being our best travel choice. I have read many mixed reviews but i am sure we will enjoy ourselves. Trying to do some quick research as to best excursions etc.we definately want to do the tequila session in cozumel and look at other beaches . Open to all suggestions .

I was on the Western Route (on Carnival) during a hurricane one Sept- (I believe it was Hurricane George). Other than a day of choppy water and having to shorten our visit to our last stop in New Orleans (before ending our cruise in Tampa)- the hurricane really didn't create an issue. I have gone other times in Sept as well and there were no hurricanes at all.