Have we wasted our hard earned Aussie $s on HAL?

Leppo1961

first time poster & cruiser and nervous now having read the latest lot of reviews for HAL Oosterdam in Alaska.

do only negative ninnies write on the forums as it seems the later in the season the only reviews are really negative :( about all aspects of life on the Oosterdam. this is our first ever 'dream cruise & we have paid good money from Australia for an SY cabin but it seems nearly every aspect of the HAL cruise comes under heavy criticism - average food, long lines for everything, poor em/disembarkation procedures, lazy staff & little to do after 930 at night (we are 50)

not much we can do of course as we are heading off next week - it would have been nice tho if someone wrote soemthing uplifting about life aboard the Oosterdam as we are really looking forward to it.

thanks

D&B - south australia

first time poster & cruiser and nervous now having read the latest lot of reviews for HAL Oosterdam in Alaska.

do only negative ninnies write on the forums as it seems the later in the season the only reviews are really negative :( about all aspects of life on the Oosterdam. this is our first ever 'dream cruise & we have paid good money from Australia for an SY cabin but it seems nearly every aspect of the HAL cruise comes under heavy criticism - average food, long lines for everything, poor em/disembarkation procedures, lazy staff & little to do after 930 at night (we are 50)

not much we can do of course as we are heading off next week - it would have been nice tho if someone wrote soemthing uplifting about life aboard the Oosterdam as we are really looking forward to it.

thanks

D&B - south australia

You will have a lovely cruise on the HAL Oosterdam. The reviews on Cruise Critic represent a very small percentage of the overall cruising public. We have not sailed Oosterdam but, have enjoyed several cruises on Holland America Line and have thoroughly enjoyed them. The food and service are top-notch, the crew is extremely friendly. The ships are very elegant with soothing and relaxing public spaces.

The ships tend to slow down after 10 pm, but, you'll be busy running around in ports on your Alaska itinerary so probably won't be up till the wee hours anyway.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Jonathan

thanks

D&B - south australia

You need to understand that Cruise Critic represents less than 10% of the total cruising population and even less of a percentage when it comes to reviews. Additionally people are more likely to post a negative review just to rant. Reviews as a whole are very subjective at best .

Forget about the reviews. Go and enjoy the cruise to judge for yourself. The Ossterdam is a nice ship and Alaska is a wonderful destination.

Edited by xxoocruiser

thanks everyone - that is the sort of reassurance we were looking for:)

All $ are hard earned Cruiserbruce wherever we come from;) but I'm sure now we will enjoy our cruise.

I know alaska will be great no matter - it was just the really bad OOsterdam reviews that made me feel uneasy as I want this to be a memorable and fun trip for my wife on her 50th.

maybe some of the negative posters need a reality check???

bring on Seward:)

A cruise is just what you make it - friends of ours took their first cruise ever, an Alaskan cruise, and said it was the worst trip they'd ever had. Swore off cruising forever, "never again." Much to our surprise, our neighbours returned from a week away and they had been on the very same sailing as our friends - they had a wonderful time, couldn't say enough good things about the ship, the itinerary, the food, etc. If you look for the negatives in any situation, they are there, but if you go with the idea that you will enjoy yourselves, you will have a much better time and come back with great memories. Enjoy your cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Ger 77 - well it sounds like we will have a ball - we have lived in china,laos and spent many months of travel in SE Asia and always enjoyed the experience. Alaska and HAL will be no different Im sure now. thanks for the kind words.

Have you joined the Roll Call for your cruise? I'm sure those Cruise Critic posters will all be full of optimism! Give me your sail date and I'll post the link for you if you haven't joined.

We sailed the Oosterdam many years ago and had a wonderful time. Frankly, Alaska is so stunningly beautiful that it doesn't matter what ship or line you visit her on.

We sailed the Oosterdam to Alaska in 2014 and enjoyed every minute. It was our first cruise so everything was new to us but have cruised since and still think it was great.

We found the food good, the staff superb, and enjoyed Alaska-the views, especially Ketchican, yes it is very touristy but aren't we tourists? Enjoy!

Ger 77 - well it sounds like we will have a ball - we have lived in china,laos and spent many months of travel in SE Asia and always enjoyed the experience. Alaska and HAL will be no different Im sure now. thanks for the kind words.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I've never been on the Oosterdam, but I agree with those who say not to worry. CC is a very small percentage of cruisers, and the % of CC'ers who are regular posters is even smaller than that, and of course people are more likely to complain than to compliment.

I have sailed on HAL several times and have no complaints. Alaska is supposed to be absolutely spectacular and with the long days you will have plenty of time to appreciate the scenery!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Adelaide is a beautiful city. I spent a day there on my way from Perth to Melbourne by train back in 1988 (well before the internet) and if I'd known how beautiful it was, I would have planned to stay longer.

I'm sure you will have a great cruise! I envy you as I have not had the opportunity to do an Alaskan :)

It sounds as if you will go with a good attitude - determined to enjoy yourself but realistic to know that nothing is ever totally perfect. So many people seem to hype the cruise up so much in their own minds beforehand that they are almost bound to be disappointed.

I understand your trepidation and concern. You are coming a very long way for this cruise and want to know that you will enjoy it and be taken care of. Having said that, remember that this is your first cruise and I would think and hope you have no expectations, really - you have nothing to compare it to and therefore, are a blank slate. You will have a great time! Like someone else said, a cruise is what you make it. You can do everything or you can do nothing! :) It's up to you.

Do what I do and stop reading the reviews. Indeed, many of them are negative and you know, life is about choices. We have a saying in North America: "Don't sweat the small stuff.". Perhaps you have heard that too? Don't let the little things get you down. Attitude is everything. :)

Alaska is beautiful. Enjoy yourselves!

Leppo, you will have a wonderful trip. I've sailed on more than half of HAL's ships and never had a bad cruise/meal/staff! Their staterooms are for the most part larger than most mainline ships as well. Enjoy yourselves and the spectacular scenery of Alaska!

And welcome to Cruise Critic. Hope you have joined the roll call for your cruise, as you will 'meet' some of your fellow cruisers, and perhaps get some ideas on private tours to share.

I am sure you will have a great cruise.Alaska is fantastic!

As far as negative reviews, it is in the eye of the beholder.

As an example, we cruised on Oceania and enjoyed the food. My sis and BIL also cruised Oceania and did not like the food. But when my sis travels, she will not eat any local foods and looks for a Burger King!

Did one HAL. Not my cup of tea. But if you are over 70, conservative, non foodie it may work for you.

This is the sort of post to ignore: a classic negative cliche.

We sailed Oosterdam to Alaska last summer and enjoyed the itinerary, the service and the food. The entertainment was not as lively as that experienced on NCL or Royal Caribbean, but the food and service was better. We always found things going on until midnight (which is when wed packed it in).

I am inclined to feel that most people are more inclined to discuss what they did not like about a cruise than what they did.

In general, given all the negatives seen about food, I have to wonder where all the gourmets who trash HAL's food eat out when at home - it is regularly far superior to most shore restaurants - excepting only the high end ones.

Welcome to CC....

Keep a good attitude, an open mind, and have a good time. :)

When you return back home write a review or at least let us know on this thread if you and your wife enjoyed your trip.

Safe travels and Bon Voyage! :cool:

You will likely be satisfied with the Oosterdam and HAL, but it is true that HAL (and several other lines) have had some negative posts (some from me) related to recent money saving cut-backs. But one can be a "cruise critic" and still enjoy a line. Although we have often been critical of some issues regarding HAL, we have about 300 days on the line and are soon heading off for 38 days on the Oosterdam. We go back to HAL, because despite some of its shortcomings, it is a still a very good cruise line with some of the best itineraries.

Hank

I don't think you have wasted your

Money on Hal

The posts on cruises here are rarely good ones for any line

Only occasional posters will put them up

But have a bad experience even if it was really your own fault or just not what you g&h ought it should be and thousands if posts appear

If you look at it that way and try read through the rubbish what your reading may be one experience from thousands

You also can't please everyone all the time

Staff have bad days etc

Lots of reasons

Hal are good. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thanks

D&B - south australia

One person has posted four different negative threads but if you read all the replies to that person you will be more assured of a wonderful cruise on the Oosterdam.

You most certainly have not wasted your money.

I'm sure you will have a great cruise! I envy you as I have not had the opportunity to do an Alaskan :)

It sounds as if you will go with a good attitude - determined to enjoy yourself but realistic to know that nothing is ever totally perfect. So many people seem to hype the cruise up so much in their own minds beforehand that they are almost bound to be disappointed.

I think you have hit the nail on the head - getting very excited for our Sept 7 departure! thanks everyone for the reassuring comments based on real experiences.