Solo cruise suggestions - recent widow

janniejl

Would appreciate cruiselines that might have solo fares and also single-friendly environment. Please eliminate Regent and Seabourne - too pricey for me. Would rather occupy the cabin alone; some cruises have no single supplements.

Would appreciate cruiselines that might have solo fares and also single-friendly environment. Please eliminate Regent and Seabourne - too pricey for me. Would rather occupy the cabin alone; some cruises have no single supplements.

I like carnival. Might not be my favorite cruise line but they are still good and they have awesome solo deals, especially for past guests.

I find it's easiest cruise line to solo price search on their website too. Just type in 1 guest for the search criteria and then you can sort by price if that's a factor for you, definitely is for me.

My suggestion would be to not worry about the so-called single supplement. Instead, simply decide on a budget (say, $200/day including any supplement) and then look for cruises/cabins that meet that guideline. Otherwise, in my opinion you will unnecessarily restrict your options.

NCL has their Studio cabins for solos, but they are so tiny that they can be very claustrophobic. I'm not a fan of any NCL ship, so I just do what mtwingcpa says and determine a budget, including the single supplement, and go from there.

But, except for NCL, and I believe a ship or two on RCI that have solo cabins, every cruise line has single supplements. While you might find a slight reduction in the supplement on some cruises, most will be 200%. The best way to save money is to book the least expensive cabin, as that will work out as the cheapest even when including the supplement.

I am a very loyal, very many times, HAL cruiser and a recent widow. I want a verandah for future cruises as we've always had one and have to pay 200% to have it.

It is rare to be able to get a verandah for less than 200%.

Both NCL and Carnival are the most solo friendly. NCL does offer solo cabins. Carnival offers either low or no supplement, but it depends upon the time of year, etc. You can find good solo prices on most of the major lines, but you have to shop around. Off peak/shoulder season offers the best deals for solos. Forget holidays, peak winter or summer sailings if you are looking for good deals. For longer cruises look at transatlantic repositioning cruise for good solo deals. Princess/HAL offer good deals on off peak sailings dates if you want a more upscale line. Figure out your total travel budget (cruise/air/shorex/bar/spa) and then work backwards to find a ship and sailing date that fit your budget. Don't focus too much on the supplement.

Unlike other CC members. I too consider the single supplement. Carnival offers deals at times, RCCL has added about three studios to several ships, but the winner winner chicken dinner is NCL ships with studios. You'll pay about 150%, but the studio lounge gatherings assure you dinner partners, and there's a solo concierge who shows up every night to coordinate solo affairs.

ImageUploadedByForums1409327500.477347.jpg.d9c36c0bd1344137102f9be22d4fe264.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with the idea that regardless of the price, the ship has to fit your cruising style to be good value.

To use personal examples- I thought the NCL Epic studios were all I needed, and the singles lounge concept an excellent idea, although it turned out other things about the ship I didn't like. Holland America- I did a Transatlantic, I was so bored I was seriously considering getting off in Funchal. A bunch of people who may not have all been 90 years old, but acted like they were. Completely wrong for me and a waste of money. Conversely, I've always had a good time on Costa, but I would not recommend it for most people.

Concerning the online agency mentioned- twice, my regular agent has matched their quote (before he knew what their quote was), as well as buying lunch; once he did better because he found some group space available. Be careful comparing quotes- some jurisdictions are stricter about what has to be included in the price, and consumer protection as well.

Edited by Dancer Bob

I am a Celebrity cruiser and love their product. I am in the camp

of not looking at the SS....and haven't in years. I look at the total

cruise price and if it is within my budget. The supplement is what it is.....

We all do what is best for ourselves.

My condolences to the original poster and hope you are able to find

a great cruise:)

My suggestion would be to not worry about the so-called single supplement. Instead, simply decide on a budget (say, $200/day including any supplement) and then look for cruises/cabins that meet that guideline. Otherwise, in my opinion you will unnecessarily restrict your options.

I entirely agree with this - single supplements are almost a fact of life, so I don't really look at them. I choose my dates, the general area I want to sail and then see what is available on the ships I like and if I can afford it. (Sometime I can, sometimes I've had to look elsewhere).

I haven't tried the NCL solo cabins (but would consider them as the reports on here are so good) but I know having sailed with NCL that they have a very different cruise style to say Celebrity (which is a bit more formal in my opinion - but I like that). I'm trying RCI next as I've heard they are great fun.

I think you have to consider what type of holiday matters to you and hopefully you can find a cruiseline to match and afford their prices. Plus reading all of the brochures to find out is great fun in itself :)

I've sailed solo on Carnival, Holland America, and Princess, and enjoyed them all. Will probably try RCL or Celebrity next year, and I'm sure that will be a good experience also. Agree with the advice to set a budget and work from there. If you find a solo bargain, great, but don't count on it.

A lot of people mention Norwegian's solo cabins and lounge, but the rooms are so tiny I'd be afraid of claustrophobia, and the ships with the solo cabins are huge and do boring, limited itineraries. That said, I give Norwegian credit for at least trying to do something to addresss the single/solo market.

Roz

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mind a tiny inside room since I am only there to sleep and shower. Many like to relax, watch TV, read or dine in and for them the Studio may not be right (however there is the Studio Lounge available, if you don't mind others being around) I am the same with hotel rooms. When I visit New York as a solo tourist or before a cruise, I like to stay at the Jane which has single rooms that make the NCL studio look like the Bridal Suite. LOL The room is one and a half the size of the single bed and the bath is down the hall but is very nice and clean and the best place to stay in Manhattan for under $100 (although not any more, last time I checked) :D

I am a very loyal, very many times, HAL cruiser and a recent widow. I want a verandah for future cruises as we've always had one and have to pay 200% to have it.

It is rare to be able to get a verandah for less than 200%.

On my upcoming NCL cruise, I got a balcony (verandah) for 150%.

If you can book last-minute, you can get some really great deals as a solo. I priced my cruise now and the room is pricing out with NO supplement -- but it leaves in 8 days.

• 1 month later...