Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Rituals

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Rituals Not voo-doo...but what do YOU do?

Old December 19th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Almost totally different... almost

I'm still up at 5 am at the latest so that doesn't change. Retirement after 40+ years in the military looms in about 4 months and I don't think it will change then either. I am however far more relaxed when I cruise. If I wasn't it would be wasted money. I set my own agenda. If I want to do something I do it and if I feel a nap coming on then thats the way I go. No rush to the next meeting, no 14 hour days in the office because someone elses oversight just became my panic of the day and no baggy green cloths or black boots to get ready for the next day. I eat better because I have the time to but probably don't get as much exercise as I should. I love meeting knew people that have absolutely nothing to do with my current profession as the majority of my friends are either still in or retired. My wife loves the cruising me and I kind of like that guy as well.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cute thread.

I used to be a lot more relaxed and laid back on cruises...but now that I'm a mom I'm back to being anxiety mcworrywart while on vacay.

We'll have to sprinkle in some child-free cruises so I can have a week to just chill.

10/ 9 / 2014 - RCCL Vision - Cozumel
2013 - Grandeur - Bermuda
2008 - Adventure - Southern
2006 - NCL Spirit - Florida/Bahamas
2006 - Jewel - Western\
2004 - Voyager - Western

Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just more relaxed...we are both very social in our land-lives, so that continues on the ship...
MIAMI MARLINS
FLORIDA PANTHERS
CHICAGO BULLS
CHICAGO BEARS

2014--NCL Epic
2013--Carnival Breeze
2013--RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2012--NCL Sky
2012--NCL Sky
2011--NCL Sky
2011--NCL Epic
2010--RCCL Independence of the Seas
2010--Celebrity Century
2009--NCL Pearl
2009--NCL Sky
2009--Carnival Destiny
2009--RCCL Freedom of the Seas
2008--Celebrity Constellation
2007--HAL Westerdam
2007--RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2006--Caribbean Princess
2005--RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
2003--Carnival Imagination
2002--RCCL Monarch of the Seas
2001--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
2000--Carnival Imagination
1999--Carnival Fascination
1998--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1996--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1994--NCL Windward
1993--NCL Westward

Old December 26th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am so happy to be on a cruise, and therefore much more sociable than normal. Also, being unplugged is a great stress relief for me....I am on the computer day n night at home.
Crown Princess / Caribbean - Jan 18, 2014
Caribbean Princess / Can_NE - Sept 21, 2013
Star Princess / Alaska - June 29th, 2013
Ruby Princess / Caribbean - Jan 20th, 2013
Celebrity Silhouette / Caribbean - Jan 13th, 2013
Carnival Freedom / Caribbean - May 19th, 2012
Island Princess / Panama Canal - Jan 18th, 2012
Crown Princess / Caribbean - Jan 15th, 2011
Celebrity Summit / Bermuda - May 30th, 2010
Ruby Princess / Caribbean - Jan 9th, 2010
Celebrity Constellation / Caribbean - Nov 10th, 2008
Emerald Princess / Caribbean - Jan 17th, 2008
Celebrity Constellation / Caribbean - Nov 7th, 2006
Norwegian Dawn / Caribbean - April 26th, 2006
Carnival Pride / Bermuda - Aug 3rd, 2003
Grand Princess / Caribbean - June 1st, 2002

Old January 8th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

We did try changing our names once but got faked out when someone was shouting "Jean Claude, Jean Claude" and we were looking all around to see who they were calling.
We gave that idea up after that but I still try to pretend I'm very neat so the room stewards don't talk about me.

Old January 19th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just a little bit of fun

We have only done this once and it did get things working at the table in the MDR. Our first night we were seated with a lovely couple from the midwest and their three college aged kids. I was traveling with my DH and my DS who was a senior in HS at the time and played Offensive Tackle. He's a 6'3" hulking gentle giant.

The first night at dinner we tried to engage them in conversation and it was a little quiet, somewhat awkward, and rather dull. The next night I asked the kids if they had gotten tickets to the ice show and they clearly weren't interested so I started weaving a silly fantastic tale about how my gigantic son was on his school's ice dancing team during the off season and we were going to check out the intricate footwork and that we were really hoping he could follow in his father's footsteps and make the water ballet team in college. I then went on to tell them how excited I was for the evening show because the performer had won five straight episodes of Star Search and I told them I had all of them on VHS tapes in my cabin if they wanted to borrow them. They looked at us a bit shocked at first and it dawned on them I was jerking around with them and they started laughing and weaving their own fantastic tales. By the end of dinner the daughter was the consultant for the archery sequences in the hunger games, the brother who always ordered two entrees was a competitive eater and the other brother was training to increase his nap times daily. The ice was broken and everyone relaxed.

The rest of the trip we had fun and joshed one another. I have no idea why I was being so silly that night. I was just trying to get people to talk.
RCL Monarch of the Seas 4/11 25th Wedding Anniversary
RCL Navigator of the Seas March 2012
Carnival Triumph 7/2013 Family Cruise and our Daughter Got Engaged!
Carnival Triumph 2/2014 Four Fearless Forty Something Football Mamas!

Old January 20th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Aurora

That was cute. Just goes to show you different doors need different keys.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 05:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Last cruise my husband was accused of being famous by a lady at our dinner table - which we flatly denied a little too much -- by the end of the cruise he'd been asked for his autograph 11 times - all good fun!

Old January 24th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default The Clone Ranger?

Not exactly being someone else, but throughout my adult life I have been approached by strangers who swear I look exactly like "George", "Dr. Brown", or "Cousin Ralph", or someone they know. If I remember correctly, it happened on our cruise in 2005, too. I tell people no, I'm not that person, but when God made the perfect man--short, fat, balding, bearded--he didn't _break_ the mold, he _mass-produced_ us!

NEXT CRUISE: 01/10/2015 HAL Westerdam 7-day 17th day of Christmas E. Caribbean Cruise, (Grand Turk, San Juan, San Maarten, Half-Moon Cay)

11/2005 NCL Dawn 11-day Thanksgiving Cruise (Jamaica, Caymans, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Nassau)

Ok, tell me one more time...WHERE am I going, and WHY am I in this handbasket...?

Old January 24th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not yourself ??

Hi all, after reading all these comments, I felt that I had to respond to some of them. Like most, I do change too,,,, more relaxed, must less stressed and content. However, if I did happen to be at a meal with a couple that went on about a whole bunch of stuff that I later found out to be totally false, then I have to say that this would be a couple that I would not want to converse with for the remainder of the cruise. Assuming another identity,or lying is the same,,,, how boring must ones life be to feel that in order to be interesting that you have to make out that you are someone that you are not. Now I'm sorry if this offends some people and don't mean to be a prude about it but come on people, be yourself and enjoy life, its just too short !!

Old February 28th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed101 View Post
Hi all, after reading all these comments, I felt that I had to respond to some of them. Like most, I do change too,,,, more relaxed, must less stressed and content. However, if I did happen to be at a meal with a couple that went on about a whole bunch of stuff that I later found out to be totally false, then I have to say that this would be a couple that I would not want to converse with for the remainder of the cruise. Assuming another identity,or lying is the same,,,, how boring must ones life be to feel that in order to be interesting that you have to make out that you are someone that you are not. Now I'm sorry if this offends some people and don't mean to be a prude about it but come on people, be yourself and enjoy life, its just too short !!
You fail to see the humor in this??? This just adds to the fun. It's not that life is to short it just that you are dead for so long!!!
Try to relax more and see the fun around you.