No Shampoo! Really?

I was reading on some recent trip reports and reviews that RCI is no longer supplying standard cabins on some ships with shampoo. Particularly, on Vision of the Seas. Is this really true? I don't mind schlepping beauty products like shampoo and conditioner for my wife, but as a non high maintenance guy, I count on a cruise company supplying amenities that you would normally get at Holiday Inn. I really do not want to go last minute shopping on the day before we sail either. Any comment on this troubling news?

These products [shampoo, conditioner and lotion] are usually only given to the suites. You will have a body wash in the shower. [sometimes your cabin steward may provide these items to other cabins than suites]

There was a post a few days ago that mentioned the shower dispenser was gone on Vision.

I was on Vision at the end of April. We had amenities in the JS only. In the standard cabins they had removed the dispenser and provided no amenities. We took the inside mainly for the shower, as otherwise would have booked 2 JS.

We had the same Cabin Steward for both and he stated that was the case. I was surprised and had only been in suites on Vision otherwise.

I was on Liberty mid-May following that and had full amenities, including dispensers still in shower. I had booked 3 days prior to sailing on GTY and was in standard cabin.

There should be a thread starting up on the 19th again concerning Vision and all this will be updated then.

and they are usually cheap brands so is there anybody who ever use such stuff?

Always have my own with me...

I get it if you are a woman used to "salony" hair treatments, but some of us guys out there really don't need much more than Prell. I just think it is the ultimate in corporate bottom line B.S. not to supply some sort of bath supplies even to passengers in the non suite cabins...

When I was just on Allure I asked my cabin attendant why they didn't supply shampoo and conditioner. She told me they have them but you need to ask. She said they had so much waste that they stopped routinely supplying them because even if not used they throw them out. Same for the robes and ice. All you need to do is ask.

When I was just on Allure I asked my cabin attendant why they didn't supply shampoo and conditioner. She told me they have them but you need to ask. She said they had so much waste that they stopped routinely supplying them because even if not used they throw them out. Same for the robes and ice. All you need to do is ask.

This is hogwash, or as Col. Potter used to say "Horse Hockey!". Check out this link...

http://www.globalsoap.org/

RCI would be a a great partner for these good folks. God only knows how many total rooms that RCI maintains....

I was on Oasis last September and they even had a little sign stating they would be provided if you asked.

And no, it had not fallen off, I was on a B2B on Vision and was solo on the way up from Panama in a JS. Had the same Cabin Steward on both sailings. I only knew about it when I got a call from the inside asking where the shampoo was.

It wasn't a problem as I had a great stock of products from hotels to provide them.

I have to say that I did think to myself that it was just this attendant telling me this as I had never experienced that before. I only thought about it when I saw someone else post here about other 'conflicting' reports.

I get it if you are a woman used to "salony" hair treatments, but some of us guys out there really don't need much more than Prell. I just think it is the ultimate in corporate bottom line B.S. not to supply some sort of bath supplies even to passengers in the non suite cabins...

Not sure why but the term: "salony" hair treatments put a smile on my face! :)

Do they still have the little bars of soap by the sink for washing hands?

LuLu

On Adventure we got 2 bars of soap - and it was a much bigger round shape rather than the tiny teensy little bars you used to get before. It was actually good quality.:rolleyes:

Shampoo was still the gloop in the wall dispenser.

Do they still have the little bars of soap by the sink for washing hands?

Bars of soap at the sink drive my DH and I crazy. They are messy and goopy. For years, we have always brought along a bottle ( or two - depends on length of cruise) of liquid pump soap. These are relatively inexpensive and solve this problem for us. We do not pack it to come home, we leave it in the cabin bathroom for recycling.

...She said they had so much waste that they stopped routinely supplying them because even if not used they throw them out. Same for the robes and ice. All you need to do is ask.

Makes perfect sense, thank you.

I think they wash the robes!

I was reading on some recent trip reports and reviews that RCI is no longer supplying standard cabins on some ships with shampoo. Particularly, on Vision of the Seas. Is this really true? I don't mind schlepping beauty products like shampoo and conditioner for my wife, but as a non high maintenance guy, I count on a cruise company supplying amenities that you would normally get at Holiday Inn. I really do not want to go last minute shopping on the day before we sail either. Any comment on this troubling news?

I think that the interesting thing in all of this is peoples perspectives about what's important. I remember the days when there were threads about the missing pillow mints. It is not just about cruising either. I know people that will burn $2 in gas to save .03 per gallon on gas. Then they save .45 when they actually pump the gas. Go figure!:confused:

In 31 years of cruising I have never used the shampoo. I have a travel size plastic bottle and I just pour some in from the big bottle at home.

Just got off the Splendour in Venice on Saturday. This was my first RCL (and probably last) cruise. As a HAL/Princess cruiser, I was shocked that there was no shampoo, conditioner, lotion or robe in my stateroom. I didn't even think of bringing my own as the products provided on the ships were fine to use and I'm pretty low maintenace when cruising. I asked the room steward about these items and was told they were no longer being provided. Later in the day, a couple of small shampoos appeared and after dinner I found a robe hanging on the bathroom door. A day later, a small bottle of lotion appeared. So, if you ask, these items will eventually appear.

Just got off the Splendour in Venice on Saturday. This was my first RCL (and probably last) cruise. As a HAL/Princess cruiser, I was shocked that there was no shampoo, conditioner, lotion or robe in my stateroom...

I'm sorry you were let down. :( As stated, though, these items are not available outside of higher-tier loyalty customers and suite guests - although some have said you merely need to ask. But I hear you. You had an expectation and it was not met. For what it's worth, I'm glad we have a choice of cruise lines; I have sailed both HAL and Princess and choose not to do so again for other reasons. I don't think one line would meet every customer's needs, so glad we have a choice. :)