Which are the best ruins to visit?

coast_hopper

Had mixed experiences in the past so wondering what your experiences have been with ruin tours out of this port. I have been to Tulum and really enjoyed that one. Any other recommendations?

Depends on where you have been before. (other than Tulum you mentioned.)

The biggest ruins in Mexico, Chitzen Itza (and most famous) and Uxmal, can be accessed from Progresso. (both are a long drive and an all day excursion)

Tulum is accessed from Cozumel and again an all day excursion.

Very unique from other Mayan ruins, as they are out in the wide open, right next to the ocean.

So if Tulum is your only experience with ruins, the others will be very different.

Costa Maya has Chacchoben, Kohunlich and Dzibanche ruins.

All are smaller ruins.

http://www.chacchobenruins.com/costa_maya_tours

Chacchoben is about an hour each way, so one of the shortest travel times of any of the ruins.(and probably why it is the most popular.)

Belize has three larger ruins accessible on a cruise day.

Altun Ha, Lamanai and Xunantunich...

Altun Ha is the closest, Lamanai is the middle and Xunantunich is the largest, but all the way on the Guatemalan border.

Just google any of the names and get a look at the ruins and see the travel times and prices to go to each, so you can compare and contrast what you have done before.

Hope that helps get you started.

Edited by bguppies

Although not out from Costa Maya, you can climb Uxmal. You can also climb the ones in Belize.

From Cozumel the only ones you can climb are Coba, which we are visiting in May. But we're doing a ships excursion since it is a long way from port on the mainland.

• 2 months later...

We loved Chacchoben and the fact that you still can responsibly climb some of the ruins....the jungle setting of these ruins (vs Tulum) is extraordinary...it really gives you the feeling of back in time with the Mayas!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My family will be traveling to Cozumel, Belize City and Costa Maya in January. We'll have a three and eight year old with us. With one port I want to do a beach day, one a snorkeling day and one a ruins tour. This thread seems to be on that topic so which set of ruins would be best and could include a climb and pictures. I think I want to snorkel in Belize and beach in Cozumel and do ruins in Costa Maya. What would you do? The following is my list of options with points taken from here and from Princess's website:

Cozumel

Mayan ruins of the walled city of Tulum

-Tulum is accessed from Cozumel and again an all day excursion.

-Very unique from other Mayan ruins, as they are out in the wide open, right next to the ocean.

-Mayan for the "place of red corn," these astounding ruins south of Tulum date from the 6th century. Explore the circular paths, the three imposing pyramids, and ponder the mysterious hieroglyphics

Coba Maya Ruins

-can be climbed

Costa Maya has Chacchoben, Kohunlich and Dzibanche ruins.

All are smaller ruins.

Kohunlich Mayan Ruins

The Temple of the Large Masks and the Plaza of the Acropolis bring 5th-century Maya to life in this multi-level city. Surrounded by lush jungle with giant cahoon palms, timeless wonder is all around.

Chacchoben Mayan RuinsChacchoben Mayan Ruins

-Chacchoben is about an hour each way, so one of the shortest travel times of any of the ruins.(and probably why it is the most popular.)

-less excavated

Dzibanche Mayan RuinsDzibanche Mayan Ruins

Explore Costa Maya's best kept secret from the Temple of the Owls and the Temple of the Captives to the landscaped grounds ringed by jungle. Along the way, seek clues into ancient Mayan society.

Belize has three larger ruins accessible on a cruise day.

Mayan ruins of Altun Ha,

-can be climed

-Altun Ha is the closest

Lamanai Mayan Ruins

-Lamanai is the middle

Xunantunich

-Xunantunich is the largest, but all the way on the Guatemalan border.

Edited by cruisetoscrap

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Last week we visited Chacchoben with a private company and loved it. I think the quality of the guide is as important as the ruins themselves. She mentioned that the other ruins take a very long time in the bus/van.

Incidentally, we then went off into the back of beyond and had lunch with a local family in a Mayan village. Wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cinnamon

• 1 month later...
Last week we visited Chacchoben with a private company and loved it. I think the quality of the guide is as important as the ruins themselves. She mentioned that the other ruins take a very long time in the bus/van.

Incidentally, we then went off into the back of beyond and had lunch with a local family in a Mayan village. Wonderful.

Who did you use?

Native Choice. I highly recommend them. The Mayan Experience was a very memorable and enjoyable day. Do take but spray for the ruins though, they are in the rain forest.

You have to walk outside the immediate port area as the local landowner has a monopoly on trips near the Port. It's not far and they drop you off at the port at the end.

Edited by cinnamon