Going to BLUE BAY/KAY need info

mitsugirly

I have officially picked where I'm going on our Costa Maya day...Koox Blue Bay (or may be known as Kay now).

I would like to know if anyone has been there and when and what have your experiences been?

Is the place as nice as the pictures show online? Is the water nice with not a lot of sea grass? Is the water clear? Decent sand and premises?

It is supposed to be located right there at the turn at the lighthouse, so really close to port. I have read that it's basically a "camping" type of place where you can rent out little huts or pull your RV there to stay. Yes, there seems to be some complaints about staying in the huts, but I'm not there to stay, I only want a day pass.

I have went to their website and emailed them...but I not received a response (it's been about a week now). When I search online for Blue Bay, I can't seem to find anything that comes up on how to book it. However, when I found it last time (I'm not sure how I did), I got it from a website that says "Official Site of Mahahual" and you can go to the day pass and it gives the following info:

Adults $30 US. each

OPEN BAR WITH ALCOHOLIC DRINKS

• Beers
  • Margaritas
  • Daikiri
  • Tequila Sunrise
  • Sex on the beach
  • Bull
  • Screw driver
  • Ticked to fly
  • ...and more.

SNACKS

• Nachos
  • Pico de Gallo
  • Guacamole

ONE BIG MEAL

• Beef Fajitas
  • Chicken Fajitas
  • Cheeseburger with Fries

Kids $18 US. each

OPEN BAR WITH NON ALCOHOLIC DRINKS

• Sodas
  • Juices
  • Water
  • Virgin strawberry colada
  • Virgin pina colada
  • Mickey mouse
  • Jungle juice
  • ...and more

SNACKS

• Nachos
  • Pico de Gallo
  • Guacamole

ONE BIG MEAL

• Beef Fajitas
  • Chicken Fajitas
  • Cheeseburger with Fries
  • Hot Dog

Children under 7 years. have free drinks, but non snacks or meals.

When I go to the booking section, it wants me to fill out all of my personal info, how many adults & children and pay the total using paypal or a cc.

When I go to "contact" you also fill out a form with your name, email, subject and then you can write them. When you submit it, it says "thank you for your email" but there is no contact information for them directly with an email address.

I'm really confused on what to do. I don't feel comfortable just filling out a form online and paying in full without actually "talking" (by email) to an actual person or getting questions answered.

Anyone know if they just take walk ups?

WWYD?

Must be relatively new. Map appears to show it just south of the naval station which means it's on the north end of or just before the beginning of the malecon. I'd say the water there won't be that much different from the malecon beaches, but you are away from the breakwater so maybe the current will clear out the sea grass. A tad rustic but prices seem reasonable. Built for low-end campers/hostel types? If Sak Ha is still around, you'd get better food there, IMO. It's in the same vicinity. Nice family running it. Shore could be a bit rocky just further up. Not sure what the snorkeling would yield here though. I hope you hear back.

I find it strange that this is the only place listed on the "official site of Mahahual " and that they allow a 400 person limit. However, that aside they do post a drinks and food menu so it would appear you could just walk up but it is not clear whether you could get inclusive day pass on the day. Also it is still listed on that site as "Bay" so difficult to tell if it is out of date or they just haven't bothered to change it.

Only suggestion I have is, have you tried emailing Kooxhotels direct since they now seem to be official owners and someone from the company does seem to have answered some of Tripadvisor comments, although I don't see this actual location listed on their official site, which is also strange.

It seems to be the property that's right there first as you turn onto the street by the malecon by the light house.

I did a "walk" on google earth to take a look around and try to figure out where it was.

This was from the street (the main street in front)...of course there's no telling "when" this was last updated on google earth and I would think by the pictures that I have seen online that the place has progressed a little more now.

streetgooglemaps_zps6023440d.jpg

streetgooglemaps2_zps8a924a1d.jpg

streetgooglemaps6_zps5b5dff8f.jpg

streetgooglemaps7_zps619d543b.jpg

streetgooglemaps5_zps4835447b.jpg

I mean tell me the place doesn't look awesome! :D

102316623_zps9ad5e5c2.jpg

blue-bay-mahahual3_zps86557317.jpg

The only problem is...THEY WON'T ANSWER MY EMAILS!!! Grrrr :mad:

The ONLY place I can find any type of booking or info on this place is the "Official site" (which I have to admit is just weird) and they won't answer numerous emails and I have also "posted" on the comments on one of them with no reply. They have to be open since they keep posting replies on anyone who does a review on TA.

I have contacted about 10 people on TA asking for booking information on this place or how to get ahold of them and have only received 1 reply and they gave me the places phone number. :eek: I can't exactly call them, I am in a different country after all.

I just don't know what to do now. :(

Only suggestion I have is, have you tried emailing Kooxhotels direct since they now seem to be official owners and someone from the company does seem to have answered some of Tripadvisor comments, although I don't see this actual location listed on their official site, which is also strange.

You may be on to something there. I looked up the website for Koox and found that they have 2 places in Costa Maya. The first place, Hotel Quinto Sole seems to be right there with Blue Bay, but it's the hotel portion of it. They are located right beside it and at the little boat dock pier all the way to Blue Bay. So...maybe they own both?

I'm going to email them and see what I can come up with. THANK YOU SO MUCH for suggesting this.

koox_zpsdc1d8ff1.jpg

It's funny how I just posted that I didn't hear back from Koox and today I received an email from them:

Blue Kay is no longer handled by the Koox Group, but we can offer you our beautiful and exclusive Beach Club at Hotel Quinto Sole.

For cruise passengers we offer an excellent package which includes open bar alcohol and one plate of food only for 35 usd, plus facilities; such as WIFI, restaurant, showers and restrooms.

I really hope to see you at our Place next November, please if you have any questions just let me know.

Best Regards,

So, it looks like maybe Blue Bay was when they were with Koox? Now maybe that they're not affiliated with Koox, they changed their name to Blue Kay? Maybe that's what's going on with the whole name change. Hmmm :confused:

If you try this out I trust your review will follow.:) I'd say for the price, it's a good deal. Hopefully not as crowded as other north malecon places, like Tequila Beach, Corona Beach and Senor Frogs, and the food is at least as good as Tropicante and El Faro toward the middle of the malecon. And maybe the beach hawkers won't pester you.

Just keep in mind that this is the area on the north end/beginning of the malecon and given the currents the water may be closer to that of the malecon beaches versus the south of the malecon beaches.

If you try this out I trust your review will follow.:) I'd say for the price, it's a good deal. Hopefully not as crowded as other north malecon places, like Tequila Beach, Corona Beach and Senor Frogs, and the food is at least as good as Tropicante and El Faro toward the middle of the malecon. And maybe the beach hawkers won't pester you.

Just keep in mind that this is the area on the north end/beginning of the malecon and given the currents the water may be closer to that of the malecon beaches versus the south of the malecon beaches.

You will most definitely get a review. However, I'm thinking that I may have run out of options on trying to contact them. :( They are obviously not going to answer any of my emails and since Koox doesn't own them anymore, I'm thinking I may need to start looking for a different option as much as I hate to.

I'm not sure what you meant Crew but your comparison on the north and south malecon beaches. Are you saying the north is better or worse and are you referring to the tide, the depth of the water, the clarity, the rocks, the sea grass? I'm confused. Please elaborate. :)

It's funny how I just posted that I didn't hear back from Koox and today I received an email from them:

Blue Kay is no longer handled by the Koox Group, but we can offer you our beautiful and exclusive Beach Club at Hotel Quinto Sole.

For cruise passengers we offer an excellent package which includes open bar alcohol and one plate of food only for 35 usd, plus facilities; such as WIFI, restaurant, showers and restrooms.

I really hope to see you at our Place next November, please if you have any questions just let me know.

Best Regards,

So, it looks like maybe Blue Bay was when they were with Koox? Now maybe that they're not affiliated with Koox, they changed their name to Blue Kay? Maybe that's what's going on with the whole name change. Hmmm :confused:

Sorry this contact didn't work out for you.

I am wondering if you ever contacted Steve at Tropicante, who writes the blog

http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/mahahual-malecon-hotels/

Or Mayan Garden http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/PropertyOwners_Newsletter.html

Both these locals seem to keep up with local businesses and may be able to give you insight as to who the current owners are.

Best Regards,

This beach break is mentioned in the sticky at the top of this CC forum.

However it did say only 2 hours open bar, don't know if that has changed.

Sorry this contact didn't work out for you.

I am wondering if you ever contacted Steve at Tropicante, who writes the blog

http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/mahahual-malecon-hotels/

Or Mayan Garden http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/PropertyOwners_Newsletter.html

Both these locals seem to keep up with local businesses and may be able to give you insight as to who the current owners are.

Actually I didn't contact Steve. :o I don't know, I felt kinda weird about it...asking another owner that's trying to make a living down there to get me information about a competitor. I mean, would that even be appropriate? I don't know what Steve is like or any of the other places along the strip, but I definitely didn't get far with Koox, which is right there next to Blue (B)Kay and all they obviously wanted me to do was come and spend my money there. :p

Actually I didn't contact Steve. :o I don't know, I felt kinda weird about it...asking another owner that's trying to make a living down there to get me information about a competitor. I mean, would that even be appropriate? I don't know what Steve is like or any of the other places along the strip, but I definitely didn't get far with Koox, which is right there next to Blue (B)Kay and all they obviously wanted me to do was come and spend my money there. :p

I understand, it was just a last line suggestion since both of these people have had references to Blue Bay on their sites I felt they might have an agreement.

I understand, it was just a last line suggestion since both of these people have had references to Blue Bay on their sites I felt they might have an agreement.

They have had references to Blue Bay on their sites? I may have to go look at their site. Is it still there? What is it about? I just don't want to offend anyone (or Steve).

I did manage to get several emails from someone that posted a review of them on TA.

No idea how to contact them but they are so easy to find. They do have an office on the property and a restuarant. If you want to use the beach then that is easy .... you just buy a drink and food in the restuarant and ask them the details. maybe busy because of summer vacations. I think I found them on trip advisor but see nothing on trip advisor, Beach is probably the best in mahuhual unless you hire a car or taxi to take you outside of town and there they are stunning the beaches and you have it all to yourself.Walk the main Malecon and they are just up from the lighthouse ....the side nearest the cruise ship docking

So it sounds like the only way to go there is to just show up? I really don't like that idea at all. I like to have things planned and confirmed so that I know I have a place to go once I arrive without being turned away. :(

This is sorta getting aggravating (and this isn't the only port I'm having issues with). :o

• 2 months later...

I am 2 weeks away from setting sail and I have yet to figure out what to do at this port. :(

Just when I was about to book either Maya Chan or Almaplena again, something out of the "blue" told me to go back and check on Blue Kay and it looked as if they have redone their website.

I figured I would give it one last shot of trying to contact them.

AND THEY RESPONDED!!!!

Tell me your thoughts....

I ask about a day pass and they responded:

Yes we offer a day pass that includes all day kayaks, bicycles and snorkel equipment for one person, plus our beach club installations, for $250 pesos.

If you need something else just ask me and I’ll response you asap.

I’ll wait for you in our paradise soon.

Thanks a lot for all.

Best regards,

So according to my calculations (using a converter online of course :D) that comes out to be $18.45 US dollars per person.

Kayaks would be fun. We really don't need the snorkeling equipment since we have our own. The bikes...well, unless they have a small one for our little one, I'm not sure if we would use them or not. I'm really not sure what they mean by "beach club installations" ??? :confused: I'm wondering if that just means use of their facility/beach area??

I did write them back.

So what do you think? Should I give this place a try? I do believe they have a restaurant at this place, so I also ask them for a menu/pricing.

Hopefully I will get Costa Maya figured out soon. Time is ticking....

• 3 weeks later...