Has Maya Chan changed/expanded?

mitsugirly

I look at pictures that are located on the web and on TA and to me, it looks totally different than what it looked like when we were there back in 2011. I know that they had a hurricane (Ernesto) that hit some time in August of 2012 and just wondered if the place looks different now? I suppose they had to rebuild a lot (I remember seeing some of the destruction on the web cam afterwards). Did they make the palpalas different? Bigger? More?

Pictures on TA make it look like they might have expanded too. I find a lot of pictures of loungers closer down by the little pier dock that was there on the left hand side (when facing the water) and also pictures with a lot of rocks somewhere? When we were there, it looked like just vacant land on both sides from what I can remember. Did they purchase more land and expand the seating?

If anyone has any updated pictures, do you care to share?

Mitsugirly, I don't have an answer to your question, but your photos and detailed reviews have been very helpful to me as we plan our Western Caribbean cruise. I know you love Almaplena and my family wants to go there. In the photos, it looks like there's not much shade and the palapas look small. Are there enough palapas for everyone? If they allow 20 guests and there are only 5 or 6 palapas, then some people are in the sun.... We love the clear water there, but don't want to fry - we all burn easily. Is there anywhere else to sit in the shade? I think Maya Chan has a lot more shade, but like you've said, the water is not as nice.... Is the water swimmable at Maya Chan? Our trip is next week!!

Mitsugirly, I don't have an answer to your question, but your photos and detailed reviews have been very helpful to me as we plan our Western Caribbean cruise. I know you love Almaplena and my family wants to go there. In the photos, it looks like there's not much shade and the palapas look small. Are there enough palapas for everyone? If they allow 20 guests and there are only 5 or 6 palapas, then some people are in the sun.... We love the clear water there, but don't want to fry - we all burn easily. Is there anywhere else to sit in the shade? I think Maya Chan has a lot more shade, but like you've said, the water is not as nice.... Is the water swimmable at Maya Chan? Our trip is next week!!

Well, here's the thing...they only allow 20 outsiders there, but a lot of people don't know about this place, so there's usually a lot less. The people that are staying there, they usually have their own section (from what I hear), so it's almost like you have the place to yourself. There were enough palpalas for everyone the day we were there with no problems.

I was looking at reviews on TA and other places of Almaplena last night. Looking at the updated pictures, you can tell that there has been a lot of growth in the greenery lately. The palms look bigger and everything around it. Is it enough to provide a lot of shade? Maybe not. I'm not sure since it's been 2 years since I have been there. I know that Maya Chan definitely has a lot of shade for sure.

Almaplena does have a nice outside area at the building with tables that you can hang out at and also eat at with a roof over it and a hammock and stuff. I'm not sure if you would want to hang out there or not.

Yes, the water is swimable at Maya Chan, you just have the grassy mushy sea weed under you feet that you get in areas like this. The water can be clear, but will look brown due to the sea weed.

I know, it's a really hard call and it's one that I'm struggling with myself. I would love to go back to Maya Chan and check it out, just not enjoying the icky water. I would love to go back to Almaplena as well, but we are cruising with friends from another cruise who are going to Maya Chan, so we would kinda like to hang out with them. Hard decisions. :(

Cold front came through and made snorkeling along the reef impossible. They had free wifi, good beer, cabanas, great service. My best friend went kayaking. I had a strained leg muscle from climbing Mayan ruins in Belize. The staff made a birthday cake for me. We did miss the initial pick up. But cab took us out there and they took care of the fares. Lunch was good and small buffet style. It was definitely not crowded. Plenty of people but not packed like sardines. There is development around them. I enjoyed the place.

Cold front came through and made snorkeling along the reef impossible. They had free wifi, good beer, cabanas, great service. My best friend went kayaking. I had a strained leg muscle from climbing Mayan ruins in Belize. The staff made a birthday cake for me. We did miss the initial pick up. But cab took us out there and they took care of the fares. Lunch was good and small buffet style. It was definitely not crowded. Plenty of people but not packed like sardines. There is development around them. I enjoyed the place.

Thanks for your thoughts on the place, but not really the information I'm looking for or ask about. :) I have been there, so I know what all they have and offer. I'm trying to find out if the place has changed since the hurricane (if it looks different, different palapas and set up) and if they have expanded their property and made it bigger. ;) The pictures that I see these days makes it look different for some reason.

Sorry, I should have guessed. I went to maya chan on your recommendation. :o Let me attach some pictures

Hehe :D I'm an "info & details" girl. I want to know it all.

The pictures look different to me. I definitely don't remember any of the trees in the water and it still looks to me like the property goes further down that it did when we were there (toward that little pier that goes out). Hmmm

Thanks for the pictures.:)

I think so. Might have better luck emailing them and asking.

Yea true. I just know there's a lot of people on these boards that absolutely love Maya Chan and go there every time they're in port. I figured there has to be someone on here that would know if the place has changed and been added on to. :)

We were at Maya Chan in March 2012, and again in March 2013... there were changes between those two times- they had expanded down toward the pier like you mentioned- with some more palapas. There were more people than the first time, but it did not seem to affect service- there were more staff members and they were just as attentive. We were in one of the newer palapas down closer to the pier (whereas last time we were in one just to the right of the bar area by the massages). It didn't seem like at that time (March 2013) that they had expanded the other direction (past the massages).

It also seems like they now have not only the palapas for the families, but more of the "two chairs with an umbrella" options for couples... I saw someone post that they contacted MC for a reservation and were told that although there were no palapas available, there were the chairs with umbrellas- so maybe those are only assigned on crowded days. The week we were there was Easter, and was really crowded.... chairs under umbrellas were all full.

We were at Maya Chan in March 2012, and again in March 2013... there were changes between those two times- they had expanded down toward the pier like you mentioned- with some more palapas. There were more people than the first time, but it did not seem to affect service- there were more staff members and they were just as attentive. We were in one of the newer palapas down closer to the pier (whereas last time we were in one just to the right of the bar area by the massages). It didn't seem like at that time (March 2013) that they had expanded the other direction (past the massages).

It also seems like they now have not only the palapas for the families, but more of the "two chairs with an umbrella" options for couples... I saw someone post that they contacted MC for a reservation and were told that although there were no palapas available, there were the chairs with umbrellas- so maybe those are only assigned on crowded days. The week we were there was Easter, and was really crowded.... chairs under umbrellas were all full.

Thanks for the info. I figured they had expanded toward the side of the pier. When we were there, I remember walking in both directions and it wasn't part of their property (or at least it wasn't being used). Good to know they have more palapas up now.

Thanks for the info. :)

Mitsugirly- i see you are going on the Sun in November.... we will be on her for Thanksgiving- is that when you're going?

Nope, we will be on her the week of the 9th. My hubbys bday is the 12th, so it's celebration time. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We will be in CM 3rd week of October. So unsure what to do here. I believe we are in port until 2 or 3 (on Conquest). I want to say Tropicante or a similar beach, but we are going with a group of 6. Two of the six may be interested in going to see ruins. I know we are planning Paradise Beach in Cozumel and also a beach at Mahogany Bay, so a break from that would be nice. but but but I have never been to a beach at Costa Maya! Tell me which is the most impressive (not an AI - pay as you go) and our group will have to take a vote on the ruins vs the beach. Thanks.