Halloween On the High Seas - 2014

kddisneyfan

Hey all!

My husband and I are scheduled to go on a Fantasy Eastern Caribbean cruise on September 6th. Depending on which website I go to, this is either the first week of Halloween on the High Seas or we are two weeks too early. Does anyone know which week this begins?

Also, did anyone go on the 2013 Halloween on the High Seas? I'd be interested in learning more about the experience - particularly events for families/adults as we do not have any kids going with us.

Thanks!

As far as I know, there has been no official announcement of Halloween for DCL yet.

We were on the Dream, there were no adults only events for HoHS that we noticed.

Hey all!

My husband and I are scheduled to go on a Fantasy Eastern Caribbean cruise on September 6th. Depending on which website I go to, this is either the first week of Halloween on the High Seas or we are two weeks too early. Does anyone know which week this begins?

Also, did anyone go on the 2013 Halloween on the High Seas? I'd be interested in learning more about the experience - particularly events for families/adults as we do not have any kids going with us.

Thanks!

Hey all!

Thanks!

Posted on the DCL website the effective dates for the Halloween cruises:

Ship / Sail Dates

Disney Magic / September 27, 2014 - October 26, 2014

Disney Wonder / September 26, 2014 - October 31, 2014

Disney Dream / September 07, 2014 - October 31, 2014

Disney Fantasy / September 06, 2014 - October 25, 2014

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/holiday-cruises/halloween/

What is Halloween like on disney? We went on a RCL cruise in october and although there was nothing advertised spcific to halloween they did an trick or treating session that my kids loved. It was a highlight of the trip for them.

What is Halloween like on disney? We went on a RCL cruise in october and although there was nothing advertised spcific to halloween they did an trick or treating session that my kids loved. It was a highlight of the trip for them.

Disney just started last year having a Halloween "season". Here's a link to one of the sets of Navigators for one on the Halloween cruises, you can check out what was happening:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013/11/personal-navigators-disney-magic-5-night-western-caribbean-halloween-cruise-itinerary-a-from-miami-october-27-31-1-2013/

Here's another one:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013/11/personal-navigators-disney-wonder-7-night-bahamian-cruise-itinerary-galveston-october-26-november-1-2013/

We sailed the Fantasy on Halloween 2013 and there were no kids activities other than a really bad deck party. No trick-or-treating, no kids costume contest or activities. Just a pile of candy at the restaurants. There was a family dance party but it was way past my kids bedtime, 10:30pm maybe. It was a huge disappointment because the DCL representative I spoke with before I booked assured me that there would certainly be trick-or-treating on board and there absolutely was not. My son cried going to bed that night because he realized we missed Halloween.

we were also on the fantasy on Halloween - there was really very little for the kids - the deck party was pretty lame...stewards delivered candy first thing in the AM...no parade....the kids were rather let down ... a lot of folks went through a TON of trouble with costumes which was quite cool - but again, there wasn't a whole lot - even in the kids programs. I expressed my disappointment with disney and my response was pretty much an oh well...

They started the Halloween on the High Seas program on the Dream only last year. I think this year they are extending it to all ships. So in 2013, yup, nothing much on the other 3. But this year should be very different. http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2014/01/disney-reveals-ghoulish-details-2014-halloween-high-seas-sailings/

It actually sounds like a lot of fun! I hope to be able to go experience it one of these years.

Edited by DahliaRW

we were also on the fantasy on Halloween - there was really very little for the kids - the deck party was pretty lame...stewards delivered candy first thing in the AM...no parade....the kids were rather let down ... a lot of folks went through a TON of trouble with costumes which was quite cool - but again, there wasn't a whole lot - even in the kids programs. I expressed my disappointment with disney and my response was pretty much an oh well...

Yup, that was the response I got as well from Disney when I expressed my disappointment after our cruise. The thing that really got me though was that I wouldn't not have booked on the actually day of Halloween if the representative hadn't assured me there would indeed be trick-or-treating and activities on the Fantasy. I even asked her to double check for me and she did. Then after they just said all they promised was candy which they did deliver which was not what I was told before booking. It isn't like we could just do-over Halloween when we got home. It was heart breaking when my kids cried themselves to sleep because they missed their favorite holiday. Lesson learned, NEVER sail Disney on a holiday again no matter what the promise in advance.

I'm surprised that is how it was in 2013. We sailed on the Wonder in 2012 during Halloween on the Mexican Riviera cruise and there were events on the ship.

We don't have kids, mind you, but we saw: Costumed Characters photo ops, Halloween candy on the ship (the kids trick or treated with a few CMs, but not what I would call a LOT*, but it was there), costume contest and a costume contest for the adults. We had dinner on Halloween and the entire Animator's was full of people in costume. My husband went as a grumpy husband who dislikes Halloween for adults (BUAHAHA see what I did there) and I went as a very stylish witch in my $3 Target witch hat and black dress and pointy Coach boots.

*I am comparing this to the Halloween parties in DCA where you didn't leave without 5 pounds of candy that the CMs would force into your bag.

We didn't sail in 2013 so I am very sorry to hear it wasn't as good as our experience.

• 4 weeks later...
We sailed the Fantasy on Halloween 2013 and there were no kids activities other than a really bad deck party. No trick-or-treating, no kids costume contest or activities. Just a pile of candy at the restaurants. There was a family dance party but it was way past my kids bedtime, 10:30pm maybe. It was a huge disappointment because the DCL representative I spoke with before I booked assured me that there would certainly be trick-or-treating on board and there absolutely was not. My son cried going to bed that night because he realized we missed Halloween.

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that!! Halloween has always been my favorite holiday! We are looking forward to our cruise on Halloween on the Magic. I hope that DCL has changed things up!!:(

We went on the 10/31 Halloween Dream cruise last year and had a blast - our son really enjoyed all of the activities. And on disembarkation morning, on the way off the ship we saw that they had already taken down all of the Halloween decorations and already had a lot of the Christmas decorations up for the next cruise. They work fast around there

The ships have done Halloween on THE day with a bag of candy delivered to the stateroom and costumes encouraged for an atrium or deck party with costumed characters. Last year, they started the Halloween on the High Seas SEASON (like the Christmas/Holiday Season which includes activities, etc. Last year was a trial run on one ship only, while the other 3 ships celebrated only the night minimally. This year, it is being expanded fleet wide, so all ships will be having special events, etc.

Sounds to me like a way to pump up an otherwise slow season!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have an inkling for which night HoHS will be for a 7 night cruise? We are doing the Fantasy on 20 Sept and also want to do a grown ups night out with reservations in the Nursery and dont want a conflict.

I don't believe it is intended as a single night. I believe it is the theme of the cruise, much like the holiday themed cruises from before Thanksgiving till Christmas where there are themed activities throughout the week.

The idea of celebrating on a single night is what has existed for years; the themed cruise was a trial run last year and expanded fleet wide this year.

Edited by moki'smommy

I don't believe it is intended as a single night. I believe it is the theme of the cruise' date=' much like the holiday themed cruises from before Thanksgiving till Christmas where there are themed activities throughout the week.

The idea of celebrating on a single night is what has existed for years; the themed cruise was a trial run last year and expanded fleet wide this year.[/quote']

With that in mind, does anyone know when the main Halloweend family party will occur on a 7 day eastern itinerary?

• 1 month later...

I can't answer for a 7 night

We booked the Dream for the 10/31/14 3-night because, my teens really loved Halloween at Disneyland, and because Fairfax County, VA has the 31st through the 4th off.

From what Info I could gather it sounds like they really decorate the entire ship to include the dining areas. There are two Halloween themed parties on deck using the outdoor movie screen, a stage and costumed characters.

The first earlier party is the Not so Scary Halloween party with the standard Mickey, Mini and the gang characters for the younger set. The second party is later, 10:30? and is a Pirates of the Caribbean party that bumps up the scare factor using characters from POC movies, cannons, swords and hostages from the audience.

I thought I read about a Halloween dance or Disco late in the evening, but I didn't get enough info on that.

There is a Scary Ghost Tales of the Sea Video on the outdoor movie screen, but I'm not sure if that is on the 3 day Dream Itinerary. There is the lighting of the Jack-o-lantern tree which I think is in the Atrium with a story teller. Some groups are arranging trick or treating among their cabins. Check out your Roll Call group to see if they have started something for your Cruise Critic Roll Call group.

I've read about ship trip or treating but don't quite have a grasp on that or how it works or for what ages and when.

People said that they showed up on the first night (Halloween) in costume but there was nothing. All of the Halloween themed parties were on Pirate night, the second night. I don't know how it will be this year though and the 3 vs the 4 and 7 nights for other venues may differ.

If you google Halloween on "your ship" and then click over to images you will find the movie screen of: the Scary ghost Sea tales, the adult pirate party, and the Not-so-Scary party. You will also find images of the decorations and the Jack-o-Lantern tree that comes to life.

That's about it for my research. Again...not verified or guaranteed to be on your ship...just info that I have found. Happy Halloween!