700 cruisers stranded

MrYellowDuck

This happens. At least they're stranded where they can be indoors and safe. A number of years ago, hundreds of passengers were stranded overnight on a ship's private island beach. A couple of years ago, I was on the Crown and we stayed docked in Dublin, unable to leave the port, for about 36 hours due to a very nasty storm in the Irish Sea.

This happens. At least they're stranded where they can be indoors and safe. A number of years ago, hundreds of passengers were stranded overnight on a ship's private island beach. A couple of years ago, I was on the Crown and we stayed docked in Dublin, unable to leave the port, for about 36 hours due to a very nasty storm in the Irish Sea.

A few weeks ago the Sapphire was stranded in Whittier for a few days due to storms.

The ship will remain in the harbor. It isn't at a dock and the tenders can not be sent for the passengers because it is too dangerous. If it was docked, it still would not leave, but the passengers would be able to board. At least they are safely sheltered till the storm passes.

If this was in early June on the Caribbean Princess, it was not weather that kept us in port a day and caused us to skip Liverpool. It was mechanical problems on board.

True, but what a lot of people didn't realize was that a huge storm was occuring and the winds were in excess of 70 knots in the English Channel. Had we left Southampton on time, we would have had a miserable night and day at sea.

True, but what a lot of people didn't realize was that a huge storm was occuring and the winds were in excess of 70 knots in the English Channel. Had we left Southampton on time, we would have had a miserable night and day at sea.
That happened to us on our 2nd cruise ever - except out of Florida and the ship sailed in that weather. It was a most miserable night and day at sea onboard the MS Ryndam, one that we'll never forget. :(

Better safe in port or in a hotel.

7812632.jpg

Cruise ship passengers stay in Akaroa B&Bs

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/your-weather/7814031/Storm-sweeps-down-country

Hundreds of cruise ship tourists were stranded in Akaroa last night as heavy rain and winds hit the area.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-star-times/7813476/Chaos-as-weather-bites

Sea Princess cruise ship spokesman David Jones last night said 712 passengers and 50 crew needed accommodation.

"The onset of some deteriorating weather meant that we had to suspend the tender service to return passengers back to the ship after their excursions in the Canterbury area. Safety is always the first priority, so those passengers and crew members remain in Akaroa."

The passengers gathered in the gymnasium at the Akaroa Area School while accommodation was found. Some stayed in Akaroa and others were transferred to Christchurch.

someone posted on the roll call about the Sea P

G'Day from the sea Princess,

we are currently in Akaroa and will be here till noon today sunday the 14th

as there was 700 passengers and crew left on shore as tendering become very dangerous the captain just announced at 9:00am 1/2 hour ago that tendering the 700 across will happen after noon today all being well .. by then the Wind will have died down

Every one is Safe and well onshore or on the boat the Captain has been Extremely good in Keeping us all informed this has stopped the onboard Rumors

he has announced that we will not be going to Dunedin or to the Fjord lands but will be returning home by the Cook Strait which is between the south and north islands for the safety of his passengers

I have stated that the Captain is Invisible BUT I Highly commend Him at this time with the updates at this time

again every one is Safe and Well and Having a Great time

We will be in Sydney on Time

someone posted on the roll call about the Sea P

G'Day from the sea Princess,

we are currently in Akaroa and will be here till noon today sunday the 14th

as there was 700 passengers and crew left on shore as tendering become very dangerous the captain just announced at 9:00am 1/2 hour ago that tendering the 700 across will happen after noon today all being well .. by then the Wind will have died down

Every one is Safe and well onshore or on the boat the Captain has been Extremely good in Keeping us all informed this has stopped the onboard Rumors

he has announced that we will not be going to Dunedin or to the Fjord lands but will be returning home by the Cook Strait which is between the south and north islands for the safety of his passengers

I have stated that the Captain is Invisible BUT I Highly commend Him at this time with the updates at this time

again every one is Safe and Well and Having a Great time

We will be in Sydney on Time

Thanks for the update. Good to know everyone is safe and well.

What an adventure they have had.:)

This will be one cruise they will always remember.

They should be fine now as the weather bomb has moved away as quicklly as it came.

I still think it is far too early in the season for cruise ships to be calling in the South Island , as these weather events can blow in . Much better after Christmas.:D

Thanks for the update. Good to know everyone is safe and well.

What an adventure they have had.:)

Thanks! I called Princess and they were absolutely clueless about the plans, have no place on the web site to check on this, encouraged me to log into Cruise Personalizer (which one cannot once it is a "past booking"), etc. etc. This is the first news I got that I couldn't google on NZ news channels.

Looking at the weather report for continued high winds down south, as well as the now limpish flag on the bridge cam, I came to the conclusion they would pass between the islands and scoot for home. I see now the Captain has had the same thought. Great minds think alike. ;)

I'm wondering what the passengers do about medicine which I'm assuming is on the ship.

The papers said the local pharmacy stayed open late to help out. Hoping no one was in need of a controlled substance for pain. Or maybe things are different over there.

I don't know if my boys are on or off, but I'm happy they need no meds. Just fresh undies.:)

I'm wondering what the passengers do about medicine which I'm assuming is on the ship.

They should be alright overnight.They will be back on the ship again from noon. However if any medication was urgent, there are Doctors and I would imagine a Pharmacist, in the township of Akaroa and Christchurch City is about 45 minutes drive .

Having crossed the Tasman Sea after visiting the Fjordland National Park during a time when "the ocean was in motion", the decision to return to Sydney via the Cook Strait is a wise decision.

Back in Sept 1967, I crossed on the old P and O Oriana, and it was absolutely the roughest weather I've seen in a big ship. Made the North Atlantic look like a bathtub.

Thanks for the update rkmw!

My mum is on the ship and I was surprised to look at the bridgecam this morning to see the ship still anchored in Akaroa! I then saw the news stories. I know she is on shore because she emailed me from Akaroa library yesterday morning.

Good to know everyone is well looked after. Such a shame she'll miss out on the Fjordlands - definitely would have been a highlight of the trip... Oh well, better be safe.

712 passengers and 50 crew were stranded ashore yesterday in Akaroa New Zealand. Supper was one slice of bread and half a breakfast sausage. We were bussed to Christchurch 90 minutes from the port to the George Hotel. The weather is still bad and our bus pickup was changed from 0900 to 1230. The ship got emergency medications as passengers requested them. The weather report for Akaroa was bad and the ship knew that. We were told the afternoon was going to be rough. We are now told that the ship is hopeful we can all get back on board this afternoon. Lots of unhappy people.

712 passengers and 50 crew were stranded ashore yesterday in Akaroa New Zealand. Supper was one slice of bread and half a breakfast sausage. We were bussed to Christchurch 90 minutes from the port to the George Hotel. The weather is still bad and our bus pickup was changed from 0900 to 1230. The ship got emergency medications as passengers requested them. The weather report for Akaroa was bad and the ship knew that. We were told the afternoon was going to be rough. We are now told that the ship is hopeful we can all get back on board this afternoon. Lots of unhappy people.

there's another thread going about the Sea Princess

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721512

why were the people unhappy, the main thing everyone is safe and well

Archived