money exchange on Baltic cruise?

DONNAKG

We are on Royal Princess to the Baltics .. will the ship provide

small amount of currency to exchange for these ports??

Even tho they say the Krone e. i. is used , do they accept also Euro or USD?

thanks Donnakg:eek:

Do not know exact which ports - and 'krone' is different in Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

Finland, Estonoa, Latvia are Euro land - and you can use Euro in most cities round Baltic. And USD is St. Petersburg.

Have som Euro and USD - credit cards are widely accepted - only if you plan for public transportation and some museums you might need local 'Kroner'

Do not know exact which ports - and 'krone' is different in Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

Finland, Estonoa, Latvia are Euro land - and you can use Euro in most cities round Baltic. And USD is St. Petersburg.

Have som Euro and USD - credit cards are widely accepted - only if you plan for public transportation and some museums you might need local 'Kroner'

Yep. spot-on.

Useful to have some local shrapnel in your pocket, just as much as you KNOW you're going to spend & back it up with euros & plastic.

Ships give awful exchange rates, though for small quantities you may not do much better elsewhere.

JB :)

We are on Royal Princess to the Baltics .. will the ship provide

small amount of currency to exchange for these ports??

Even tho they say the Krone e. i. is used , do they accept also Euro or USD?

thanks Donnakg:eek:

Get some Krone in an ATM when you arrive. The ship is the last resort, IMO, as the exchange rate they have used i the past is very high.

Yep. spot-on.

Useful to have some local shrapnel in your pocket, just as much as you KNOW you're going to spend & back it up with euros & plastic.

Ships give awful exchange rates, though for small quantities you may not do much better elsewhere.

We have started using ATM's in various countries and get the best exchange rate that way.

We have started using ATM's in various countries and get the best exchange rate that way.

Yes, apparently rates offered by bureaux in the States are much poorer than here in the UK.:p

Not disagreeing, just asking cos I don't know .........

Is there a minimum sum to withdraw from ATMs in the ports?

And if not, is there a minimum service charge which screws-up vfm on small sums like 20 or30 dollars-worth?

Yes, apparently rates offered by bureaux in the States are much poorer than here in the UK.:p

And if not, is there a minimum service charge which screws-up vfm on small sums like 20 or30 dollars-worth?

Yes it normally is.

In Sweden it's normally 100 Swedish kronor which is about 14 US dollars, at some ATMs in Sweden 500 Swedish kronor (approx 72 USD)

might be the minimum amount. Also all withdrawals have to be made in even 100's like 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 and etc...

Edited by Desdichado62

If you are spending a few nights ashore then getting some local currency makes sense. For the cruise portion I would get some Euros as even those countries that used their own currency would take Euros, but not always USD.

On the Legend of the Seas they had an ATM on board that dispensed 50 Euro notes and guest services would give smaller bills. They also exchanged USD to rubles and other currency.

The minimum withdraw from ATMs is the smallest domination carried by the ATM. For example here in Finland ATMs carry only 20 and 50 euro notes, so 20 is the minimum withdrawal and you can withdraw either 20, 40 ,50 ,60, 70... In other euro countries ATMs do carry other notes. For example in Germany I have gotten 5 € notes from an ATM so I would suppose that 5 € to be the minimum withdrawal available.

The service charge you pay is typically set by your own bank and not the ATM provider. These are typically set up either as a fixed fee, a fixed fee plus a percentage of the withdrawal, or a percentage of the withdrawal with a minimum. The rate may very well vary from county to country. For example my bank charges about 0.5 € fixed fee inside the euro zone and about 2€+2% for other currencies. With fixed fees or minimums smaller withdrawals will cost you more than larger ones.

We just got back from this cruise. We usually just found an ATM and took out the smallest amount of cash possible for snacks, restrooms, and public transit, and used a credit card as much as possible. We took out more Euros because we knew we were using it in 3 of the countries. Usually if places take USD or Euro, they will give you change in local currency.

I just read they use the Euro.

Euro is Finland, Estonia, Latvia and Germany

St. Peterburg is Rubles

Lithuania is Litas

Kroner is Denmark Sweden and Norway (but all different and different value)

Think I got all 'cruise countries' round Baltic Sea .

Euro is Finland, Estonia, Latvia and Germany

St. Peterburg is Rubles

Lithuania is Litas

Kroner is Denmark Sweden and Norway (but all different and different value)

Think I got all 'cruise countries' round Baltic Sea .

And for those planning for next year: Lithuania is adopting the euro on January 1st 2015.

We just returned from Baltic cruise. I spent perhaps $5 in Euros on postcards...the only time I needed currency. Mastercard is widely accepted...would rec'd getting one & some waive currency exchange rates. Look around. We did have only 1 problem in St.Petersburg museum snack shop. The card needed to have a chip...ours did not.

No worries...have fun. Stuff is very pricey, and if you do get the above card, at places that give you option of $$$s or local currency, choose "local."

bon voyage.

M

We visit the Eurozone very frequently, so always have Euros. On our Baltic cruise last year we used a few Euros and everything else we paid with CC like the above post. I have a CC that makes no extra charge for foreign transactions. We even used it to buy our bus ticket at the bus stop in Stockholm as there was a CC there for that purpose.