questions about on the beach on an excursion

breezy_carol

First time cruiser here to the western Caribbean in October. We plan to do some beach excursions. So to the question.

DH and I each plan to take a backpack off the ship to the beach. I know we need to bring our passports and cruise line seapass. Also cameras and cash and change of clothes. When we are in the water, how do we keep our passports, etc secure?

No, you don't need to take your passport. Most cruise lines recommend a photo ID, like your driver's license, and your ship's ID. Both are water proof, and can be carried in a secure pocket (like my swim trunks have) or in a "safe" worn around the neck.

Money can also go in these locations, as getting wet isn't a problem.

Edited by CruiserBruce

First time cruiser here to the western Caribbean in October. We plan to do some beach excursions. So to the question.

DH and I each plan to take a backpack off the ship to the beach. I know we need to bring our passports and cruise line seapass. Also cameras and cash and change of clothes. When we are in the water, how do we keep our passports, etc secure?

In our experience, you're not required to take your passport off the ship. What we've typically needed was our ship's card and a photo ID (driver's license works). The photo ID was to access the port area upon returning, and the ship's card to get onboard the ship.

Driver's license & ship's card are plastic, they can get wet. As can cash, really. My husband keeps his ID and cash in his swim trunks pocket, and I use a more time honored place where females tend to "hide" stuff for mine.

We usually have a waterproof camera for days that we're doing water stuff, so that stays with me. And, generally, no one is interested enough in your clothes to take them.

Of course you'll need your sea pass....can't get off the ship without it!

Bring that, your DL (for ID) and 1 credit card (not linked to your shipboard account, and a minimal amount of cash.

If you're doing an excursion, your stuff can be left on the boat or bus, while you're in the water.

If you're going to the beach on your own, and don't feel comfortable leaving those items on the beach, then stick them in a velcroed pocket in someone's swim trunks...water will NOT hurt any of that stuff!

There is no place in the Caribbean where you must have your Passport off the ship. But there are a few ports that require some type of picture ID (in addition to your cruise card) and many just carry a drivers license. Personally, I have an old expired drivers license that we use when ashore. It is good enough to get us through port security where they require picture ID, and its worthless if lost or stolen. When we go to the beach (which we do often) we do not take or leave any important valuables on the beach. Cash, credit cards and cruise card are all kept on our person in our waterproof Sea Caddy...which is a waterproof fanny pack (good to 100 feet in depth). If anyone steals our backpack off the beach they are going to get an old backpack with a few towels and other near worthless odds and ends.

Hank