Interior Stateroom vs Stateroom w/ Verandah

DoomsdayFAN

On Fantasy.

This is something I've been considering for a while now. For the longest time I've been fairly certain that I will spend a majority of my time outside of my room just wandering the ship. So I figure because of that, I could save some money and just get a basic inside stateroom. I figure I wont even need a window because I'll be out and about most of the time anyway. So it's unnecessary.

But then again, it looks like if I were to pick the right time of year, I could get a nice unobstructed stateroom w/ verandah for only about $400 more. Although I do plan on being outside my room a lot, it is just a ship with only so much to do. So perhaps a verandah wouldn't be such a bad idea after all. The time I am spending in my room, it might be nice to sit out on the deck for a little while. There's potential for some beautiful pictures. And the fact that I don't have to trek a good way in front of everyone else just to go outside is appealing too. I could basically just roll out of bed without a care in the world and see and smell the outside.

But then again, I could put that extra $400 to good use elsewhere. As awesome as the views may be, it's not like they'll be more spectacular than what I could see elsewhere from the ship.

So what say you? Is the verandah worth the extra $400+ more? Or not so much considering the outside views are just a few short steps away anyway?

Either way though, it'll either be one or the other. I'm not even looking at a room w/ window. So it's either full interior, or full verandah.

Edited by DoomsdayFAN

You sound like me - you can make good arguments for both sides of the issue!

I have sailed on a ship with an small window, not DCL. I have only sailed DCL with a verandah. I love it. I'll say staying in the room is a pleasure with the verandah - you will want to find time to spend in your room and on the balcony when you have it available.

I don't know how to link to other threads here, but search out Big Al's review of having a balcony after years of saying one wasn't necessary. It's here on the Disney board. Maybe he'll chime in.

I tend to spend more time in the room than others may but for me a verandah is a must. To me there is nothing better on a sea day than sitting on the verandah with a good book and just relaxing. I don't like the crowds up on the pool deck for that and prefer being in my own space.

Only you can know if it is worth it for you or not.

I have done a balcony and inside on Disney. If you can afford it get the balcony. The inside was fine, but as another poster mentioned, I always think balcony since the stranded ship:). When I am on a cruise, I want to see the water as much as possible, even the few minutes I am in my room changing clothes!

For me, having a balcony vs. an inside to some extent determines what I do on the cruise. When I have an inside, I'll be on decks 4 or 9 a lot more (I like the Magic). With a balcony, I'll spend more time "in"my room, which actually translates to "on the balcony." As others have noted, it is nice for a few minutes between activities, etc. when you might not go up to an open air deck.

On the other hand, the virtual porthole on the Fantasy is fun....should be experienced at least once.

its a Veranda vote for me too. We like to get our coffee in the AM and sit outside. And its also a nice to have a cocktail before the show when we sail with friends. (between the show and dinner we go to a lounge)

never had an inside room. But our first 4 or 5 DCL cruises were outside. They do have large windows and even seated on the couch I could see the water. But Veranda is always my first choice.

And on the new builds with the magic porthole, depending on itinerary, season, and when you book, oceanviews may be less costly than insides.

And I concur with PP. The nicer the cabin the more time you will spend in it.

However, we are always surprised how little time we spend on our veranda if on a new (to us) vessel. Too much to see, do, and explore.

So .... good luck with your decision. Either way it's awesome.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I mean, honestly, I'm leaning toward the verandah. I could could make 37 different cases why going with the inside room and saving money would be a good idea, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure that by the time I get there, I'd be a little bummed I didn't get a deck. lol, but it's back and forth because then I'd be conscious of the additional $400 I blew that I could've easily saved.

Vicious cycle of internal debate. :rolleyes:

I'll be going on the 7 day cruise, and judging by the itinerary, it seems there'll be only two seas days total, both spread out by a few days.

Having only stayed in an OV Guest Stateroom for 3-4 days (exploding toilet!), as long as you don't require total darkness to sleep, I would definitely go for the verandah.

$400 is a lot of money that could be spent on other things, but not too much that if you decide it wasn't worth it it's not a massive amount of money to at least be able to say we tried it but wouldn't spend the extra again.

JMO.

ex techie

Funny you mention that because I am basically a total darkness sleeper. I can sleep without it, but I sleep much better with it.

With all the curtains pulled, how bright is the verandah room?

Ours was just the standard OV, no verandah and having come from a cabin on deck A no portholes so used to total darkness, we had no problem.

There was a little light spill around the curtains, but as long as they were drawn properly it wasn't an issue for me or the other half.

It was quite a few years ago now, so the curtains may have changed in thickness, or may differ with the verandah doors, so I will have to pass on the verandah, and others may be able to offer a more up to date experience.

ex techie

My vote is a balcony room for a 7 day cruise. It is so nice to get away from the crowds by the pool and sit on your own balcony with a book or just a cup of coffee. Plus, I enjoy sunshine peeking in the room at sunrise. With an inside cabin, you have no idea what time it is, day or night. I have some friends who have always sailed inside cabins. Then on a whim (and a good deal $$), they did a balcony. They loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal

I always think of the movie Titanic and how the inside staterooms became tombs. For me I need to know I have a balcony to go out on in case of emergency.

Discussing the escape route is always the best idea and one that should be spoken about when on the ship and in the Stateroom.

Look at the map and show everyone where to go, left or right.

Not sure that a inside room is any less vulnerable if your balcony is submerged though.

In all seriousness, realise that you MAY have to evacuate the ship.

Know where your lifejackets are. Try them on.

Even ask your Stateroom Host/ess if you have them on correctly before the drill.

Know the route to your Lifeboat.

The assembly is not just a drill for the sake of it.

The better prepared you are, the better you will most likely be.

Know the risks, the escape routes, and then relax and enjoy the cruise knowing you know what to do, where to go, and who to listen to.

ex techie

Our party had both on the Magic last week and to be honest the only time we used the verandah was after 10.30pm and the baby was asleep in Travel Cot/Pack and Play and we could relax with a glass of wine. So fir us it was useful as an extra room but if our kids were older or we were sailing without them an Inside room would gave been fine. I actually slept better inside in total darkness than I did in the verandah room. If you need a quiet outdoor space Deck 4 is perfect.

I have had both inside cabins as well as verandah cabins.

For a seven day Fantasy cruise, I would definitely go for the verandah. There is something special about a verandah on the Disney Dream and Fantasy cruise.

You will definitely enjoy your cruise more with a verandah cabin. It is nice to have a drink, coffee or room service in your cabin.

Being in an inside cabin can get boring and sometimes you may feel forced to get out of your cabin. The verandah cabin feels so much more open and inviting.

soccer

On Fantasy.

This is something I've been considering for a while now. For the longest time I've been fairly certain that I will spend a majority of my time outside of my room just wandering the ship. So I figure because of that, I could save some money and just get a basic inside stateroom. I figure I wont even need a window because I'll be out and about most of the time anyway. So it's unnecessary.

But then again, it looks like if I were to pick the right time of year, I could get a nice unobstructed stateroom w/ verandah for only about $400 more. Although I do plan on being outside my room a lot, it is just a ship with only so much to do. So perhaps a verandah wouldn't be such a bad idea after all. The time I am spending in my room, it might be nice to sit out on the deck for a little while. There's potential for some beautiful pictures. And the fact that I don't have to trek a good way in front of everyone else just to go outside is appealing too. I could basically just roll out of bed without a care in the world and see and smell the outside.

But then again, I could put that extra $400 to good use elsewhere. As awesome as the views may be, it's not like they'll be more spectacular than what I could see elsewhere from the ship.

So what say you? Is the verandah worth the extra $400+ more? Or not so much considering the outside views are just a few short steps away anyway?

Either way though, it'll either be one or the other. I'm not even looking at a room w/ window. So it's either full interior, or full verandah.

Here's why you should go in a balcony:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393

You have NO CONNECTION TO YOUR CRUISE & THE SEA IN AN INSIDE CABIN!! please read above & read what the posters said..I have over 24,000 hits on this thread from "Cabin selection tips"...

Big Al