Explorer delayed arrival

megr1125

Just got this via Facebook!

Delay – Explorer of the Seas

January 25, 2012

11:00 a.m. E.S.T

Explorer of the Seas' arrival to Cape Liberty has been unexpectedly delayed due to a medical emergency, and will now arrive in Bayonne, New Jersey, on Saturday, January 28, one day later than originally scheduled.

We ask that guests who are scheduled to sail on Explorer of the Season Friday, January 27 not arrive at the port until 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 28. We kindly ask that guests come to the terminal between 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 28 for check-in and boarding.

Regrettably, the delayed arrival is expected to have an impact on the scheduled itinerary. Additional information on the revised itinerary will be provided on Saturday at embarkation.

Anybody have any insights, sounds serious???

Wow! can you imagine those on board that have flights out on Friday? Somehow, I doubt having an extra day isnt so appealing to them right now! :eek:

And the people that have the next cruise booked will be shortened by a day. What does RCI usually do in this case?

Can't find them on any ship spotting sites...

EmpressOfPurple is on board..maybe she will post later....they should have been on their way back...so possibly they diverted...

hopefully everything works out for the people involved....

I'm on this sailing and something in my mind told me to check out my reservation one more time. I'm glad I did and I saw the notice and posted it in my Roll Call.

I just extended my hotel stay as I'm flying out tomorrow.

I'm crossing my fingers that they skip Labadee and still come back the same day as I can't afford to change my flight as well.

Hope the person is okay though.

Wow! can you imagine those on board that have flights out on Friday? Somehow, I doubt having an extra day isnt so appealing to them right now! :eek:

And the people that have the next cruise booked will be shortened by a day. What does RCI usually do in this case?

Unrelated---but my last cruise ended up being a 9 day cruise. Another hurricane came through and we had to go south. Not as fun as it sounds. Carnival gave each person 10 free phone minutes to call and arrange different transportation. As for the cruise after us, I'm not sure what they were given.

I hope everything will be OK for the person/people who need treatment.

this will likely not affect the following sailing on 2/6, right? thats the one i'm on!!!

I dont see how it would. The next cruise is a 10 night cruise which will likely now be a 9 night cruise putting EOS back on regular schedule for your sailing :)

My thoughts are with the person and their family if its a medical emergency

Never heard of a medical emergency making it 24 hours late. We had a crew jump over and spent the night going back and forth looking for him.:( Ended up 8 hours late getting back. RCI paid for the change fees for our flights and they gave OBC to the people that had to wait to board. I don't remember how much though.

Naturally I am terribly sorry for the medical emergency but I wonder how RCCL will take responsibility for re-booking people's flights and other arrangements in this type of situation.

Wonder what happened.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

They will probably shorten the cruise by 1 night and arrive back at the port as scheduled. However, some people will have to find overnight accommodations for Friday night so that's going to be the issue.

They will probably shorten the cruise by 1 night and arrive back at the port as scheduled. However, some people will have to find overnight accommodations for Friday night so that's going to be the issue.

I wish the person a quick recovery and certainly am sorry to hear of this.

I was reading my insurance contract after the costa situation and my travel insurance does cover travel delays, so hopefully those affected by this also have insurance. I know I would be livid if it was me- We are already flying in for our cruise a day early, so now those flying in will have added hotel costs, meals, etc.

I would also hope that those with a shortened cruise will have their cruise fares prorated to reflect the shortened days. I would assume just divide the cost by the number of nights and then credit back that amount. if they miss a port they are also entitled to a refund of port costs. when our ship missed a port due to weather we all received a refund for the port costs

Cruise is arriving back in port 1 day late - next cruise will be shortened by 1 day to get back on schedule.

with all their previous bad publicity i would venture a guess that RCI will be proactive in assisting guests....for this cruise and the next one.....however, technically they don't have to do anything.......(except port charge refunds....) If people booked air through Royal, then those pax will get assistance in rebooking....

BUT it is still early-that info wasn't posted too long ago, so I would think that Miami needs to get it together ..

Perhaps EmpressOfPurple will have some info for us in her blog as she's on the cruise......

Archived