PG resto strategy?

Burpelson

Hi all,

I'm on the July 15th 11 day cruise that includes the Cook Islands. What I want to know us how to eat best on the PG esp for dinners.

I'm assuming la Veranda is best food quality, but is it? Should one get to ship to embark at 2:59pm ; ) to make whatever reservations are possible, as soon as possible?

I'm sure there are fairness rules. But I still want to optimize within whatever rules exist and common sense fairness applies.

I've read a lot of love on CC for the Grllie too, esp the al fresco part. How hard is that to reserve? Indeed, am I worrying too much about resto reservations? Perhaps day before or same day reservations work almost all the time?

If la Veranda is optimal, are there limits to the number of reservations? Can one reserve al fresco (specific locations) at la Veranda? Or elsewhere?

Thanks for any help. It will be cherished and put to good use.

TY in advance.

Edited by Burpelson

The food is good in all 3 dinner venues. The main dining room is a bit more international typically with a different theme every night, Ie; Asian, Italian, Polynesian, French, England, Mediterranean, etc. etc..

La Veranda is influenced by the chef Jean-Pierre Vigato meaning there will be a bit more French selections though you can order a great steak.

Le Grille has more of a Polynesian/Asian influence every evening. Keep in mind the venue has more humidity.

As I originally stated all 3 venues are good, just different.

For clarity. The menu in La Veranda is the same every day. It does change once about halfway through the cruise. They generally will not make modifications from that menu. There is one Polynesian night when all restaurants have the same menu.

From what i remember reservations for La Veranda are available in the late afternoon on the first day, not at 3:00 pm. Unlike mainline cruises the main restaurant is great and we actually prefer it.

I'm not too sure how they handle the "fairness policy" now. In the "old days", ahem, the idea was that everyone should get at least one reservation in each of the specialties. So only one reservation could be made when you board. Then as time goes on, more can be picked up if you like the venue, but it's not guaranteed--I remember trying several times to get a second ressie at Le Grill, and failing. Just keep in touch with the maitre'd.

BTW, Le Grill is mostly al fresco, so don't worry about where you might sit. Sometimes this venue can be closed because of weather, especially if the ship is moving (i.e., a sea day), and sometimes it can be too warm to be comfortable. You'll just have to play that one by ear.

On our cruise from Fiji to Bali we ate in the Le Grill 4 or 5 nights. They had the table out by the pool 4 nights. Only one night the wind came out from no where and we had to move back inside. We enjoy eating there. Also ate in the La Veranda about 3 or 4 nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums