Cash account on Breakaway

prt77

I did some searching for this so forgive me if this has already been asked.

When setting up an onboard cash account do they take the money at check in or do I have to go to guest services.

How picky are they about the $100 per person per day rule. I've got my gratuities prepaid and will have two speciality restaurants prepaid and my shore excursions are paid for as well. Neither of us shop much and only drink a few adult beverages a day so there is no way I'm going to need a $1400 account.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've paid with a cash account many times with NCL. You do not pay at check in, after you board go to guest services. With your gratuities already prepaid, you only need to put down like $2-300 total, not per person.

Things can always change, but my last cruise on the Star, I had purchased $1200 OBC to cover our DSC, excursions and a specialty restaurant. I had the amenities receipt with me to show at check-in.

The first gal I talked to said she would still need a credit card to open my account. I asked to speak to a Supervisor. He was really snarky and rude, telling me I could either give him a credit card or go to the Credit Desk and deposit $1000 for the two of us for our 7 day cruise. He would not even look at the amenities receipt, telling me he had no way of knowing if I had indeed purchased OBC.

So I did indeed give him a credit card, to proceed through check-in. Upon arriving in our room, there were VOUCHERS that stated they had to be signed and turned in at the Purser's Desk. We did that immediately and the OBC appeared on our account the next day.

Others have said they haven't had that experience, so just be prepared for it to go either way. Have a great cruise!

I did some searching for this so forgive me if this has already been asked.

When setting up an onboard cash account do they take the money at check in or do I have to go to guest services.

How picky are they about the $100 per person per day rule. I've got my gratuities prepaid and will have two speciality restaurants prepaid and my shore excursions are paid for as well. Neither of us shop much and only drink a few adult beverages a day so there is no way I'm going to need a $1400 account.

On our May 26th Breakaway sailing, during the Haven check in, I told the staffer that I was going to do a cash account. She told me to just visit Guest Services after I boarded the ship. I did, gave them $300.00 in cash and it was done. Easy as it could be.

On our May 26th Breakaway sailing, during the Haven check in, I told the staffer that I was going to do a cash account. She told me to just visit Guest Services after I boarded the ship. I did, gave them $300.00 in cash and it was done. Easy as it could be.

Thanks, I thought I had heard some ports took cash at check in but this will work just fine. I got rid of all my credit cards a few years ago and have been living a cash life since. Maybe I should get one just for travel.

Archived