Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I have some potential good news! Because of the backlog of people waiting for service dogs here in the North East region of CCI, they are adding a class for five skilled companion teams at the end of this month. It looks like Ocho will be a part of that team training class!!

The only problem with that is if he does get matched, the class will not have their graduation until the next scheduled team training graduation in May. So we will have to hope that the people he is matched with will be willing to come back for the graduation. I'm told that the few times they have done this, everyone has come back for the graduation. We were wondering why on the last progress report Ocho had a new trainer. He went from one of the new trainers to one of the most senior trainers there. (LA) Cindy will know who LA is! Now we know why. So now we have to wait and see how this all plays out. :eek:

The vet recommended carrots instead of doggy biscuits etc., well, you can guess how that went!!! LOL! So we are cutting down the treats to start, broken in half instead of a whole gravy bone, that sort of thing.

Any tips for other healthy treats that we could use - I don't like using their food (kibble) as treats - so any suggestions welcome. Thanks! :)

Just wanted to pop in to say that my daughter gives Gibson Roll Over Rewards from Three Dog Bakery. They are supposed to be "natural", whatever that means. They are very small the size of a chunky button. At any rate Gibson loves them! His favorite flavor is peanut butter. I haven't ever ordered online since they are so close. We have a store just four blocks from my office, so I can walk there over lunchtime when Diana's stash gets low. Website is http://www.threedog.com. They also have a fabulous case that makes you think you have wandered into a human bakery. Brownies, tortes, parfaits, cookies, all decorated to look like the real thing, but made with ingredients that are safe for dogs. Gibson goes into sensory overload when we take him there, we do too of course. You can't get the special stuff online though. I will try to upload a photo of the Pupcakes we took to the last day of Start Club in May 2013.

Thanks again to all of you who post! Your stories are such treasures to our family. Beckie

755719750_StartClubLastDayPupcakes5-2013.jpg.a32b07aeb427d08fb3b6150750fa5c23.jpg

I have some potential good news! Because of the backlog of people waiting for service dogs here in the North East region of CCI, they are adding a class for five skilled companion teams at the end of this month. It looks like Ocho will be a part of that team training class!!

The only problem with that is if he does get matched, the class will not have their graduation until the next scheduled team training graduation in May. So we will have to hope that the people he is matched with will be willing to come back for the graduation. I'm told that the few times they have done this, everyone has come back for the graduation. We were wondering why on the last progress report Ocho had a new trainer. He went from one of the new trainers to one of the most senior trainers there. (LA) Cindy will know who LA is! Now we know why. So now we have to wait and see how this all plays out. :eek:

Wahooooo!!!! I'm so excited for you. Way to go Ocho! You have to tell us all about his people.

Horton and I were in a "side-placement" class in Santa Rosa and I was asked if I wanted to come back for the "formal" Graduation or not. I was so excited I definitely came back but Horton's PuppyRaiser's were a "no-show." CCI called a wonderful lady named Martina Brumley we came right over and stood in for my PR's and made Horton and me feel so good. It makes such a difference when the ceremony of passing the leash is done by the folks who put so much time and effort into your dog.

I hope Ocho's people do come back and go through the formal ceremony, they won't regret it!

You'll have to get to work on preparing his photo album to present to them.

I'm truly happy for you and your family. What a great reward for a truly difficult and challenging job.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

The vet recommended carrots instead of doggy biscuits etc., well, you can guess how that went!!! LOL! So we are cutting down the treats to start, broken in half instead of a whole gravy bone, that sort of thing.

Any tips for other healthy treats that we could use - I don't like using their food (kibble) as treats - so any suggestions welcome. Thanks! :)

Just wanted to pop in to say that my daughter gives Gibson Roll Over Rewards from Three Dog Bakery. They are supposed to be "natural", whatever that means. They are very small the size of a chunky button. At any rate Gibson loves them! His favorite flavor is peanut butter. I haven't ever ordered online since they are so close. We have a store just four blocks from my office, so I can walk there over lunchtime when Diana's stash gets low. Website is http://www.threedog.com. They also have a fabulous case that makes you think you have wandered into a human bakery. Brownies, tortes, parfaits, cookies, all decorated to look like the real thing, but made with ingredients that are safe for dogs. Gibson goes into sensory overload when we take him there, we do too of course. You can't get the special stuff online though. I will try to upload a photo of the Pupcakes we took to the last day of Start Club in May 2013.

Thanks again to all of you who post! Your stories are such treasures to our family. Beckie

I swear by rice cakes. I use the "lightly salted" one's. I know Cindy uses the ones with "no salt." Brenda and Horton both loved them and Horty gets two at night for a treat. He gets so excited when he sees me take out the bag.

He's lost all the weight that he gained after Team Training and is a svelt and handsome boy again! CCI is happy and so is the Vet.

He hates carrots and veggies in general.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thats today and yesterday our group leader sent an email about kennel cough. They have had a problem at the doggie training center where we do all our stuff. She said the place has been thoroughly cleaned but she requested anyone without the kennel cough vaccine not attend. So I called the vet and Wexler does not have the vaccine. She said he had it in 2009 which was when he was at CCI. She said it's a requested shot, not required so we would have to ask for it. Now we can't go today. We feel bad but we didn't know. I am surprised that the vet never asked us if we wanted it or not. Anyone else know anything about this?

Our local news stations are reporting an outbreak of Parvovirus in both Missouri and Kansas. At KC Pet Project, which is Jackson County, MO's animal shelter, they have seen seven cases this winter. I will insert the link to the online article so you can read it. http://www.kshb.com/lifestyle/pets/pet-experts-warning-of-parvovirus-outbreak-in-kansas-city

Beckie

Way to go Ocho!!!!! If LA is training him, he will be ship shape in no time! :eek:

I swear by rice cakes. I use the "lightly salted" one's. I know Cindy uses the ones with "no salt." Brenda and Horton both loved them and Horty gets two at night for a treat. He gets so excited when he sees me take out the bag.

He's lost all the weight that he gained after Team Training and is a svelt and handsome boy again! CCI is happy and so is the Vet.

He hates carrots and veggies in general.

I only use the unsalted ones because I didn't know if its good to give the dog salt. Atleast with the salt they might have a taste.

I just got an email from Petco and they are not having the bears anymore. :mad::mad::mad:

I ended up ordering 16lbs online.:mad: I will have to find a way to store them so they will be fresh. I'm not sure whether they will still carry them online or not. But if they do I would have to order them there. I don't understand why they would get rid of a best selling item. :mad:

I also made an appointment for Wex to have the kennel cough vaccine. We don't want him to miss out on any CCI functions that we volunteer for. John has his recertification in April and the puppy workshop which we go to.

Edited by rangeley

Our local news stations are reporting an outbreak of Parvovirus in both Missouri and Kansas. At KC Pet Project, which is Jackson County, MO's animal shelter, they have seen seven cases this winter. I will insert the link to the online article so you can read it. http://www.kshb.com/lifestyle/pets/pet-experts-warning-of-parvovirus-outbreak-in-kansas-city

Beckie

I called my Vet and he said that Horton's Bordatella vaccine is due in September and he's protected until then.

Beckie

Wow thats alot of cases. Thats why its so important to have your dog vaccinated.

Wahooooo!!!! I'm so excited for you. Way to go Ocho! You have to tell us all about his people.

Horton and I were in a "side-placement" class in Santa Rosa and I was asked if I wanted to come back for the "formal" Graduation or not. I was so excited I definitely came back but Horton's PuppyRaiser's were a "no-show." CCI called a wonderful lady named Martina Brumley we came right over and stood in for my PR's and made Horton and me feel so good. It makes such a difference when the ceremony of passing the leash is done by the folks who put so much time and effort into your dog.

I hope Ocho's people do come back and go through the formal ceremony, they won't regret it!

You'll have to get to work on preparing his photo album to present to them.

I'm truly happy for you and your family. What a great reward for a truly difficult and challenging job.

Thanks Roz & all but nothing is written in stone. He still has to be matched and graduate. And you are right about LA, Cindy. She can get dogs to do whatever she wants. It works with people too. :eek:

Thanks Roz & all but nothing is written in stone. He still has to be matched and graduate. And you are right about LA, Cindy. She can get dogs to do whatever she wants. It works with people too. :eek:

OMG you are right!!! :eek:

A little cheer please.....Horton Jeffrey came the first time I called him, off leash! At first he stared at me with that, "yeh, what do you want now blondie look!" Then he came running to me. Will wonders never cease. We're on our way......Horton's a real, legitimate Service Dog! :rolleyes:

For all of you, out there, who think that you can take the dog out of the highly trained Service Dog.......HAH!!!!! It may take years but it can happen! Are you watching Brenda Elizabeth, are you?????

Edited by wizard-of-roz

A little cheer please.....Horton Jeffrey came the first time I called him, off leash! At first he stared at me with that, "yeh, what do you want now blondie look!" Then he came running to me. Will wonders never cease. We're on our way......Horton's a real, legitimate Service Dog! :rolleyes:

For all of you, out there, who think that you can take the dog out of the highly trained Service Dog.......HAH!!!!! It may take years but it can happen! Are you watching Brenda Elizabeth, are you?????

Wow Horty!!!! Wexler will actually turn his head the other way like we are not even there. You are lucky that Horty came back. I know you are not suppose to give them commands when they are off leash but Wex will only come if we use the "here" command with a stern voice (practically yelling). :D

I have a friend who has a cute little Black Lab, girl named Rita. She (friend, not Rita) sent me email the other day and asked if I had any tips on getting little Ms. Rita to come in the house when she calls her. After a very long Bahahaha, I told her we spent a lot of money taking Reno to a 6 week training class. The training lasted until Papa had him outside the yard and Reno took off thru the field towards a very busy road. Of course Papa couldn't chase him. The little fool finally did come back, but no more off leash outside the fence for him. Well except for in later years when Papa was convinced that Reno had grown up a lot and wouldn't take off. More long Baahahahaha. Anyway, back to Rita. Told her she could try the treats in the pocket and give her one when she comes. She said she has tried that. I told her welcome to the Lab world. Just go with it. I guess Rita does it when they are getting ready to go somewhere and let her out to go potty and the little chit won't come back in. She will get in the car! Just love our goofies!

I have a friend who has a cute little Black Lab, girl named Rita. She (friend, not Rita) sent me email the other day and asked if I had any tips on getting little Ms. Rita to come in the house when she calls her. After a very long Bahahaha, I told her we spent a lot of money taking Reno to a 6 week training class. The training lasted until Papa had him outside the yard and Reno took off thru the field towards a very busy road. Of course Papa couldn't chase him. The little fool finally did come back, but no more off leash outside the fence for him. Well except for in later years when Papa was convinced that Reno had grown up a lot and wouldn't take off. More long Baahahahaha. Anyway, back to Rita. Told her she could try the treats in the pocket and give her one when she comes. She said she has tried that. I told her welcome to the Lab world. Just go with it. I guess Rita does it when they are getting ready to go somewhere and let her out to go potty and the little chit won't come back in. She will get in the car! Just love our goofies!

Oh Nancy you are a hoot .... I know another black girl dog exactly like Rita ... "Won't, shan't, just won't! " is her motto!!! She can be good as gold for days and then she takes it into her head to just give you that look that says exactly "nope, I'm on my own agenda now! I will return to you when I feel like it!" Usually, as you say, when the little chit has been let out for a quick pee before I have to head out and I really do need her to be quick and come back in! A treat will make no difference to her coming back. Boy dog, different story, any "suggestion" of a treat and he's there!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions for the healthy dog treats, I'm going to get the rice cakes and Beckie, I love the sound of the three dog bakery - shame we are so far away! I don't think we have anything like that in the north of Scotland! Gibson is a lucky boy with all those lovely pupcakes on offer! :D

Way to go Ocho ... That's great news DKD, you've done a great job with this young boy dog. I hope you do get to officially hand him over to his new family, it must be such a proud moment when you do. :)

Ah Mr Horton - you are a star! I laughed out loud when your Mama Roz told us that you gave her one of those "what do you want now Blondie?" looks! I get those too you know from my girl dog especially! I know it's just one of those things that you Labradors have perfected through the generations in dealing with your humans! But I'm so proud of you for going back to your "Blondie" when she called you and your Mama is even prouder! :D.

Re the kennel cough - our two have it annually - it's a quick puff of powdery something up their nose they get and they do not like it one little bit! :eek:

Have a great weekend everyone .... :D

Unfortunately if we have a treat in our pocket he will not leave our side. He's an unbelievable chow hound. And if you give him something once, he thinks he will get it all the time. Last night we had steak. I guess he knows the smell because usually when we sit down to eat he goes in the bedroom. When we have steak, forget it!! He layed right on his bed the whole time, right next to us. UGH!!

Unfortunately if we have a treat in our pocket he will not leave our side. He's an unbelievable chow hound. And if you give him something once, he thinks he will get it all the time. Last night we had steak. I guess he knows the smell because usually when we sit down to eat he goes in the bedroom. When we have steak, forget it!! He layed right on his bed the whole time, right next to us. UGH!!

Horton does the exact same thing! At least they don't drool under our feet. Horton can count down the seconds until I'm done eating and then he'll do a "Horton Bow" and come right over to me, as if he's there for ME! Get real, buddy, I know why you're here. You want to make sure that something missed my mouth and hit the floor!

Nancy, you're so cute!

Fairbourne, I'm waiting with baited breath for the day that you actually tell us all the true names of your babies! Instead of "Girl" and "Boy!" Unless, that's their names! :rolleyes: Okay, okay be secretive if you want!

Happy Saturday and Sunday to all!!!!!

Wow Horty!!!! Wexler will actually turn his head the other way like we are not even there. You are lucky that Horty came back. I know you are not suppose to give them commands when they are off leash but Wex will only come if we use the "here" command with a stern voice (practically yelling). :D

With all the quirks that Davis has, the one thing he has learned is coming in from outside when he is called. He started by following the other two in when they were called. At first when he came in we gave all three a treat. Just a piece of their food. Now Davis will come in when we call him. He still wants a treat which he gets once in a while.

With all the quirks that Davis has, the one thing he has learned is coming in from outside when he is called. He started by following the other two in when they were called. At first when he came in we gave all three a treat. Just a piece of their food. Now Davis will come in when we call him. He still wants a treat which he gets once in a while.

I truly believe in the power of the pack. When Brenda would be called or when she was given a command Horton followed her and did what she did. She was a great "leader" and did not allow him to misbehave. She led him by ignoring him and walking away from him. Such a strong and wonderful leader.

Now that all the "leaders of my pack" are gone I am re-establishing my dominance. Horton is a follower and definitely needs direction. When he acts-up he's obnoxious. If left to his own devices we'd be a scrambled mess!!!! :eek:

Sometimes I find myself wanting to "fall apart" and do "nothing"......doing nothing is Horton's favorite thing to do!!!! But, if I did that too much I'm afraid there would be no kind of order in my house!!!!

I'm going to try those rice cakes. My Dogs for the Deaf trainer suggested adding Cheerios (along with the goodies like Zukes training treats) for rewards to help keep the weight down.

Yesterday, I took Raylene into PetSmart (big mistake - WAY too much stimulation going on for novice handler me to deal with), and took her right back out again. To distract her, I was alternating some of the Zukes with Cheerios for a sit-stay, and she promptly spit the Cheerios out!

I'm going to try those rice cakes. My Dogs for the Deaf trainer suggested adding Cheerios (along with the goodies like Zukes training treats) for rewards to help keep the weight down.

Yesterday, I took Raylene into PetSmart (big mistake - WAY too much stimulation going on for novice handler me to deal with), and took her right back out again. To distract her, I was alternating some of the Zukes with Cheerios for a sit-stay, and she promptly spit the Cheerios out!

That's so funny about spitting out the Cheerios. I love Cheerios and will have a bowl every now and then. I like to carry the bowl to the living room and, of course, along the way I leave a Hansel & Gretel trail. Horton loves Cheerios but for training purposes I would stick to removing some of his meal kibble [it helps if they're on dry kibble for their meals.] Just take some of it and keep it in your pocket and slip one to him as you're walking along and I promise he'll keep his focus on you.

I say, "let's go" give him a kibble and keep on walking. In a few long steps I stop, ask him to "sit", give him a kibble [keep him seated for 2 minutes] and do another "let's go" again giving him a reward. I promise he'll keep his focus on you and won't be so distracted by all the sights and smells. Do this when you're just visiting and not so much focused on shopping. Do it a few times for practice.

He'll get it and will be looking for your direction and that treat and not so focused on the "stuff" going on around him.

Isn't it wonderful to have such a handsome working buddy to depend on in life?

You'll also notice that all that's missing is the paparazzi!!!!! Don't let all the stares and questions distract you.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

It's the Parvo Virus that's running rampant in some states, I thought it was Kennel Cough. So much to worry about. Poor little pups that are suffering and dying from something that is easily preventable with an immunization at the Vets office.

You know, I've ALWAYS loved dogs but I'm so ultra sensitive to them now, since I've had a Service Dog. How did I not have one always?

Oh Roz, no matter what we must always be the Mama! Sometimes I don't think it is all it is cracked up to be! My little four legged growler monkey can wear me down in no time. My medium sized, two legged little monkey is wearing thin on my patience for oh so many reasons! That is why we are the Mama's, I must divide and concur! :)My sweet little four legged kitty is just about perfect. She is independant, she is aloof, she is unassuming............

Edited by S.S. Cruisers

Oh Roz, no matter what we must always be the Mama! Sometimes I don't think it is all it is cracked up to be! My little four legged growler monkey can wear me down in no time. My medium sized, two legged little monkey is wearing thin on my patience for oh so many reasons! That is why we are the Mama's, I must divide and concur! :)My sweet little four legged kitty is just about perfect. She is independant, she is aloof, she is unassuming............

Independent, aloof, unassuming......sounds like someone I know!