Lightweight snorkeling fin question

tbmrt

We have the fins that have a closed heel (big ones)...Want to get smaller, more lightweight version to bring to ports where we will be doing beach snorkeling.

I see that some of these have an open back though...I think I'd be worried about stepping on sea urchins, etc.

Any help appreciated.

Do not want to spend lots of $ since we use them so infrequently.

Thanks

I have no experience with 'travel fins' but just reviewed some listings on line to confirm this comment

As a long time diver my experience is that open heel fins are almost always designed to be used with dive boots. The foot pocket is larger than a closed fin (sold by shoe size) and tends to be darn uncomfortable when worn without a dive boot .... for example, these come in only S/M or L/XL

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YD9KNI8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00D2QJC4O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=79HHT42G0EH6X8KRM1EZ

the dive boot provides the protection you mention and adds protection in that you can wear the boots as 'water shoes' without the fins. Boots plus travel fins undoes any potential cost savings and part of the space in packing savings ...

(consider this ... if a place is 'renting' fins, wouldn't it be easier to carry just 2 sizes of open heel adjustable fins rather than the shoe sized ones they typically have? Why don't they?}

I suggest you go to a dive shop or two (plenty around Tampa St Pete) and possibly even drive up to Orlando where there is a Divers Direct (BIG dive shop) and see if you can try on b4 you buy .....

an advantage of living in and cruising from Florida is of course we can carry as much as we are willing w/out worries of airline weights or charges. If I want my gear on a cruise, I take my gear on a cruise. If it means one more bag, so what? I pack pretty light otherwise so no biggie . . . Usually for me/us is where to store the gear in the room (esp if we are traveling in the cheap seats) and what to do with WET gear ..... but over the course of 40 years of cruising we've figured it out!

Edited by Capt_BJ