New toy... G7X

markeb

We were in NYC over Christmas and made the great pilgrimage to the altar of all things photographic (B&H Superstore). I was really out to look at the Sony RX100 III and compare it to the new Canon G7X. What I came away with was a realization that both were great cameras (and the Canon supposedly has the Sony's CMOS chip anyway...), but as a long time Canon guy (moving up from an S95), the G7X just felt "right". I sacrificed the EVF for about 30mm equivalent on the long end.

I ordered one as soon as I got home (not giving New York 8 or 9% of my money if I can get free shipping!), and have now had it just long enough to play, but not really to get a lot of shots.

First Impressions (compared to an S95):

It's a slightly larger camera. The lens resembles a pancake on a mirrorless, but it still fits into a pants pocket. IT IS FAST! OMG, the autofocus has gotten so much better since the S95! I have a couple of shots of the cat in the hall on Av mode, no flash, at night. It locked nearly instantaneously, shot quickly, and was ready for another shot. Amazing! Very solidly built camera.

I need to get out and shoot a hundred shots or so to get a definite feel, but I'm beyond impressed at this time!

Just thought I'd post as "do it all pocket cameras" in some version is a frequent question around here. It's by no means inexpensive, but it can be shot in full "P" mode for a relative novice, to full "M" mode for someone who want so to capture RAW and manipulate it in Lightroom. It definitely complicates the RX100 III recommendation for pocket cameras.