Is Carnival Splendor Compensation Fair?

Is Carnival's Splendor Cancellation Offer Fair?  

1,503 members have voted

1. 1. Is Carnival's Splendor Cancellation Offer Fair?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other -- will post opinion below

Today's news, that additional Carnival Splendor cruises would need to be cancelled (next sailing: January 11, 2011) was probably not a big surprise to many of us who figured the fire damage was pretty severe. What was a surprise to us at Cruise Critic though was the compensation offered: full refund, plus transportation costs (fair and appropriate) and 25 percent off a future cruise (that seems chintzy).

The 25 percent off seems particularly stingy for people who are booked for close-in cruises, not to mention for holiday sailings. Plus there's nothing comparable to the Splendor itinerary (Carnival Paradise does short cruises from L.A. and holiday prices are pretty high already) so West Coast pax have to head east for the better 7-night deals.

What do you think? Vote -- and vent -- below.

Yes, it's fair.

I also would have been making alternative plans, without waiting for Carnival's announcement.

Are some actually surprised? :confused:

Does anyone know what the compensation was for the cruisers, waiting in NY, for the Titanic for its return trip?

(1/11 is the last canceled date, BTW)

The only thing they might have done differently is give a flight change credit for those who have to change flights. People have booked flights far in advance I'm sure and tried to get deals. Trying to book a flight around Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years now is going to be quite expensive.

My thoughts are if their current airfare were say $300 round trip and to change now it's $500 Carnival should pony up the $200. Just my opinion and I am not affected by this at all.

I think it's actually more than fair. They are replacing what will be lost (full refund), plus other things they are not contractually obligated to pay for (travel costs) and a little sweetner on top (25% off the future cruise).

My question is, is the refund and the 25% "combinable" or must they be used seperately? Might not this off-set the lose of the short itineraries and make the 7 day intinerary more of an option?

Having a holiday sailing (CHRISTMAS!) canceled 1 week before sailing by another cruise line a few years ago, we only got our cruise fare refunded. So, as far as I am concerned, Carnival's offer is very fair.

It is actually how I ended up sailing Carnival way back in 2001. We booked them last minute for our holiday sailing and have been big fans ever since. :D

Carnival is reimbursing air fare or something like that. .. I dont see a copy of the cancellation letter any more .. but it did mention reimbursement for air fare I think?

Now the 25% is good on any 7 day, some are now not going to bother flying to the west coast, and might have better deals on air fare to fl than they had before?? I think this would be a sticky wicket to say we will also compensate you if you spend more .. then everyone would just book anything knowing they get the difference.

We are disappointed...were scheduled for the Christmas Splendor trip. It may be too late to find something (without air from Arizona) but we will reschedule in the future. I am sorry for all of us that are being cancelled, but better than be out on a ship that wasn't fixed properly. Some of you have had agreater impact than us...air, weddings, family reunions, etc. I think Carnival is doing the best that they can under the circumstances.

Carnival is reimbursing air fare or something like that. .. I dont see a copy of the cancellation letter any more .. but it did mention reimbursement for air fare I think?

Now the 25% is good on any 7 day, some are now not going to bother flying to the west coast, and might have better deals on air fare to fl than they had before?? I think this would be a sticky wicket to say we will also compensate you if you spend more .. then everyone would just book anything knowing they get the difference.

This is an excerpt from the press release that I got via email:

Guests who were scheduled to sail on these voyages will receive a full refund of their cruise fare and air transportation costs, along with a 25 percent discount on a future cruise.

So, the air travel expenses are covered as well.

:)

This is an excerpt from the press release that I got via email:

Guests who were scheduled to sail on these voyages will receive a full refund of their cruise fare and air transportation costs, along with a 25 percent discount on a future cruise.

So, the air travel expenses are covered as well.

thanks .. I knew it said something about airfare.

It is more than fair.

Carnival is refunding any cost associated with the cruise that the customers can no longer take. The cancellation is really out of their control but they are making their customers whole that were booked on cancelled cruises.

Carnival really does not need to give their customers some alternate vacation but they are offering 25% off a future cruise. Customers could potentially replace their vacation with a different cruise and the 25% could possibly defray the higher cost for booking so close.

I agree that everything is fair besides the airfare. They are offering 200 dollars to put towards a new flight. That is not nearly enough to cover the cost for us. It is 150 dollars alone to transfer leaving 50 extra. That may be enough for people whose cruises are next month or in January, but to try and book a flight that is five days away, they are either nonexistant or hella expensive. We want to fly to Miami instead of LA, but it would cost about 300 dollars more than the flight to LA. That leaves about 250 out of pocket per person to go there instead.

Carnival should take this into consideration and offer more help to those who have to book so last minute. It's not fair that we would have to pay more for our vacation because of them.

thanks .. I knew it said something about airfare.

A little more detail provided in their email to the guests on the cancelled cruises:

"... If you purchased independent air transportation and need to make changes to accommodate a new departure, we will reimburse up to $200 per person (via a refundable on board credit) for airline change fees once valid documentation is provided. If you purchased non-refundable independent air and are unable to reschedule your cruise, please send proof from your airline carrier that you are unable to use your ticket (include ticket number) to our Guest Admin Department, fax# 305-406-6477 so that we may refund the cost of your ticket. .."

Also the $200 reimbursement is in future OBC. NOT a cash refund.

If you purchased independent air transportation and need to make changes to accommodate a new departure, we will reimburse up to $200 per person (via a refundable on board credit) for airline change fees once valid documentation is provided. If you purchased non-refundable independent air and are unable to reschedule your cruise, please send proof from your airline carrier that you are unable to use your ticket (include ticket number) to our Guest Admin Department, fax# 305-406-6477 so that we may refund the cost of your ticket.

The only thing they might have done differently is give a flight change credit for those who have to change flights. People have booked flights far in advance I'm sure and tried to get deals. Trying to book a flight around Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years now is going to be quite expensive.

My thoughts are if their current airfare were say $300 round trip and to change now it's $500 Carnival should pony up the $200. Just my opinion and I am not affected by this at all.

In this scenario, you receive $300 refund for the cost of the ticket to offset the $200 cost to change that ticket. You are still ahead.

I think it's actually more than fair. They are replacing what will be lost (full refund), plus other things they are not contractually obligated to pay for (travel costs) and a little sweetner on top (25% off the future cruise).

My question is, is the refund and the 25% "combinable" or must they be used seperately? Might not this off-set the lose of the short itineraries and make the 7 day intinerary more of an option?

I believe the cruise fares are being refunded so you can do anything you want with the refund. You could use it to pay for a discounted cruise from Carnival, cruise with someone else, spend it on a hotel room in southern California, or spend it however you want.

I have no idea if the compensation is fair or not. I wasn't on the ship so I don't know how good/bad things were.

I don't know how the crew handled things and what efforts they made to improve passenger comfort.

I have no idea how extensive an effort Carnival made to take care of passengers and get them safely home once they landed.

I don't know what caused the incident. I don't know if the situation arose out of negligence, faulty parts & equipment or lack of maintenance. Nor do I know if the accident was preventable with reasonable care and maintenance.

I don't know if Carnival will be seeking damages from any vendors or manufacturers.

By all accounts Carnival and the crew of Splendor are to be congratulated on their response. But I'll wait for more details before deciding on just how fair Carnival's first compensation offer is.

This is compensation for those whose FUTURE cruises were canceled... not those who were on the ship at the time...

I have no idea if the compensation is fair or not. I wasn't on the ship so I don't know how good/bad things were.

I don't know how the crew handled things and what efforts they made to improve passenger comfort.

I have no idea how extensive an effort Carnival made to take care of passengers and get them safely home once they landed.

I don't know what caused the incident. I don't know if the situation arose out of negligence, faulty parts & equipment or lack of maintenance. Nor do I know if the accident was preventable with reasonable care and maintenance.

I don't know if Carnival will be seeking damages from any vendors or manufacturers.

It all makes a difference.

By all accounts Carnival and the crew of Splendor are to be congratulated on their response. But I'll wait for more details before deciding on just how fair Carnival's first compensation offer is.

hmmm..... I might be misunderstanding, but I think you are referring to the compensation to the folks who were on the ship. This poll is about compensation for folks whose cruises are being cancelled.

Archived