Breaking News - Carnival Legend is...

...Said to be repositioned to.....AUSTRAILIA in May/June 2014; this was the buzz with many of the crew and confirmed while on the Behind The Fun Tour just last week.

Additionally the Spirit is also staying in Austrailia too so there will be two (Spirit Class) ships and there was no clue as what ship, if any, will be replacing the Legend here in Tampa.

I don't know if anyone else had posted on this yet but I was pretty much away from the internet for the last two weeks while on the Legend sailing around the Mediterranean Sea.

...Said to be repositioned to.....AUSTRAILIA in May/June 2014; this was the buzz with many of the crew and confirmed while on the Behind The Fun Tour just last week.

Additionally the Spirit is also staying in Austrailia too so there will be two (Spirit Class) ships and there was no clue as what ship, if any, will be replacing the Legend here in Tampa.

I don't know if anyone else had posted on this yet but I was pretty much away from the internet for the last two weeks while on the Legend sailing around the Mediterranean Sea.

I hope you had a great time. This was announced on May 10th at the same time Carnival announced it would have no European sailings in 2014 due to the rising cost of airfare.

I hope you had a great time. This was announced on May 10th at the same time Carnival announced it would have no European sailings in 2014 due to the rising cost of airfare.

I actually found that statement a bit disingenuous. How nice for them to be concerned about our out of pocket expense for airfare, but the real reason is cause an effect. They can't fill their ships AND make money. Nothing wrong with that, but call a spade a spade.

I actually found that statement a bit disingenuous. How nice for them to be concerned about our out of pocket expense for airfare, but the real reason is cause an effect. They can't fill their ships AND make money. Nothing wrong with that, but call a spade a spade.

You hit the nail on the head! :)

I might not go so far as to say disingenuous.....but I understand your sentiment......to me Carnival is nothing more than a business that wants to portray themselves in the best possible light to their customers....same as any other business.....

The price of air prevented me from planning a return to the Med this year and infact is limiting my cruise options going forward. Fortunately I'm retired so I can go on longer road trips, but I really don't like roadtrips so it would have to be a very special cruise to get me down to Florida.

I feel extra furtunate that we have the Magic and 2.0 Triumph at my homeport of Galveston and now we'll have the Sunshine in NOLA which is a relatively easy (11 hours) drive.

I might not go so far as to say disingenuous.....but I understand your sentiment......to me Carnival is nothing more than a business that wants to portray themselves in the best possible light to their customers....same as any other business.....

The price of air prevented me from planning a return to the Med this year and infact is limiting my cruise options going forward. Fortunately I'm retired so I can go on longer road trips, but I really don't like roadtrips so it would have to be a very special cruise to get me down to Florida.

I feel extra furtunate that we have the Magic and 2.0 Triumph at my homeport of Galveston and now we'll have the Sunshine in NOLA which is a relatively easy (11 hours) drive.

Right now that's a dim Bulb. :eek:

Although I too will miss Legend being here in Tampa, and would really like to know if a replacement ship will be named as only the (plain old) Paradise will be left. However I would be interested in a Panama Canal crossing when Legend does head off for Austrailia; any news on that yet?

This may be Breaking News on CNN...but it's been stripped, tortured and beaten to death on these boards over the past week plus (much like how CNN "covers" a story). I understand you haven't been wired for the past cuple of weeks but a little search before smirch would have eased your news jones. :)

Edited by crewsweeper
spelling before coffee, LOL

Sure, but at the same time, if they were so concerned about my expenses, why would they try to take away my $20 bottle of alcohol and try to charge me $350 for the same amount of liquor? How many plane tickets can I buy for 350?

If they could only figure a way to take a piece of those airfare $$. :rolleyes:

BTW, having toured Europe extensively, I can't imagine trying to do it on a ship. But that's just me. Might be some others.

I'm quite happy picking up a ship in NY harbor and letting it take me into the sunshine. And having 2 of the latest and greatest sailing out of these waters is a real "dancing down 5th Avenue" plus.

Sure, but at the same time, if they were so concerned about my expenses, why would they try to take away my $20 bottle of alcohol and try to charge me $350 for the same amount of liquor? How many plane tickets can I buy for 350?

BTW, having toured Europe extensively, I can't imagine trying to do it on a ship. But that's just me. Might be some others.

I'm quite happy picking up a ship in NY harbor and letting it take me into the sunshine. And having 2 of the latest and greatest sailing out of these waters is a real "dancing down 5th Avenue" plus.

I have some mobility issues that make cruising just the right way to see a little bit of the world. We were able to fly to Venice several days early then spend several days after the cruise in both Rome and London. But the day trips from the ship in Naples, Athens, Izmir and Rhodes were just the right length for me.

I wish I had started this adventure when I was younger.......but I also didn't have the funds to support my travel obsession.

clearly its "spin" , yep the airfare are high, but the price point does not fit into the avg north american ccl cruiser.. which means they cant fill ships like they can here.I also agree with you about touring europe .. doing on land vs. ship

about the only positive thing i could see is its probaly cheaper on the ship if you compare it to room and board in a comparable enviorment.

me... we had planed to do a 10 day tour of italy... when we got to the amalfi coast, we canceled the other sites and stayed there for 6 days LOL...

to much to see and do to be trapped on on a ship for us..

That is crazy, they have no idea what airfares to EU will be for 2014 and flying from the US to AU is even more - that is just an excuse.:confused:

Australia is becoming a huge cruising market and they can make $$$ there:D

clearly its "spin" , yep the airfare are high, but the price point does not fit into the avg north american ccl cruiser.. which means they cant fill ships like they can here.I also agree with you about touring europe .. doing on land vs. ship

about the only positive thing i could see is its probaly cheaper on the ship if you compare it to room and board in a comparable enviorment.

me... we had planed to do a 10 day tour of italy... when we got to the amalfi coast, we canceled the other sites and stayed there for 6 days LOL...

to much to see and do to be trapped on on a ship for us..

I agree about doing Europe as a land trip, I spent a year traveling there after school and a couple of other long trips but I wanted to do a mother daughter trip for my DD graduation next week and arranging a land trip was just so much more $$ and organizing than a cruise.

This way she will get a taste of Europe and after college can go travel:D

Although I too will miss Legend being here in Tampa, and would really like to know if a replacement ship will be named as only the (plain old) Paradise will be left. However I would be interested in a Panama Canal crossing when Legend does head off for Austrailia; any news on that yet?

We'll sign up for that. We've taken the Pride and Miracle through the canal and we're ready for another.

It will be interesting to see the rates for the repositioning to Australia. As I recall, the Spirit offered greate rates.

That is crazy, they have no idea what airfares to EU will be for 2014 and flying from the US to AU is even more - that is just an excuse.:confused:

Australia is becoming a huge cruising market and they can make $$$ there:D

In Europe Carnival's primary customer is people flying in from North America, hence the concern about the price of airfare.

In Australia Carnival's primary customer is people who live in Australia, so the price of airfare in not important to their business model. Obviously if flying from the US to Europe is expwensive than flying to Australia is even more expensive.

And DUH of course its a way for them to make more money, thats what companies do! Make money! lol

yesterdays news....

Perhaps but when you're away from the internet for nearly 3-weeks tomorrow can become yesterday very quickly.

Anyway, I would be interested in a Panama Canal crossing when Legend does head off for Austrailia; any news on that yet?

I'll miss the Legend out of Tampa. :( My favorite ship, will be taking her for the 4th time in November. Love the aft wrap suites, best on any class. I'd like to take a cruise from ports outside US but as others have said cost of airfare is the killer.

The Legend is a great ship.

I would think the airfare to Australia would be more then Europe. Will they really fill 2 ships going out of Australia?

Doesn't make sense.

Edited by Rockee4055

I would think the airfare to Australia would be more then Europe. Will they really fill 2 ships going out of Australia?

Doesn't make sense.

I concur. Besides, CCL could make due with just one ship in Europe as oppossed to two like they do now (Legend and Sunshine). I believe that they could send just one ship over for the season and transform it while it is there like the recent Destiny to Sunshine.

Remember CCL trade-marked bothe names Sunshine and Sunrise last year so it only stands to reason that one of the ships in the fleet will become the Sunrise before long; why not for Summer 2014?

Doesn't make sense.

I believe Australians are all over those cruises. It's a busy market and I doubt that Carnival is relying of the US to fill them. P&O Australia continues to add ships to their fleet, some ex Carnival and Princess ships. The possibilities for some killer itineraries are endless.