New MDR Dinner menu

mutziputzi

I got to the stage that I asked for another vegetable featured on a different dish instead of the dreaded green beans

And to be fair to the waiters, they will try their best to fulfil that request.

Although it doesn't always go to plan. If I remember right, I had two manky potatoes one evening. I told the waiter who apologised (and also the maitre'd). The waiter then sent for some replacements - trouble is with all that they and the galley-prep area have to do, I got the bowl of fresh taters after we'd all finished our meals. I still ate them though... no point them going to waste! :D

And this is in no way a criticisim of the staff, they did their best to rectify it. It's just the scale of the place that plays against them.

Just off Ventura and we did have peas but mixed with the green beans. We had spinach, cauliflower and broccoli too so must have been lucky.

We were actually quite disappointed with the new menus and missed the bread and butter brioche pudding or creme brûlée that I remember on Arcadia. Do they have different menus for adult only ships as opposed to family ships as we never had a curry in evening for 12 nights and a lot of sausage and mash, shepherds pie type for British section. Joke in the dining room was not about green beans it was about how much chicken was on menu in starters and main courses.

Still have the beef wellington on gala night but no lobster or arctic roll and ended up having steak as no interesting options for us and we are not fussy eaters either.

Just off Ventura and we did have peas but mixed with the green beans. We had spinach, cauliflower and broccoli too so must have been lucky.

We were actually quite disappointed with the new menus and missed the bread and butter brioche pudding or creme brûlée that I remember on Arcadia. Do they have different menus for adult only ships as opposed to family ships as we never had a curry in evening for 12 nights and a lot of sausage and mash, shepherds pie type for British section. Joke in the dining room was not about green beans it was about how much chicken was on menu in starters and main courses.

Still have the beef wellington on gala night but no lobster or arctic roll and ended up having steak as no interesting options for us and we are not fussy eaters either.

I find this interesting. I came off Aurora on Sunday after 19 nights on board. Yes, there were green beans but many other different vegetables with different choices of main course. Bread and butter pudding was on the menu every night as a P&O favourite. I assume your reference to arctic roll is actually baked Alaska which was on the final formal night menu. Lobster was on the first formal night. It seems to me that different ships may have different menus which I don't recall ever being the case in the past. There was no more chicken than other different meats although, along with salmon and sirloin steak, grilled chicken breast was available every night as P&O favourites. Curry was on the menu a couple of times.

However, although the meals were well cooked and well presented, some of the 'accompaniments' such as garnishes, sauces and vegetables were a little strange. For a fussy eater such as myself, this made choosing rather difficult. Potato products were usually served in small portions. I have to admit that meals tasted better than their descriptions on the menu led me to believe they would.

I'm just back from a cruise on Aurora, like Ventura a family ship. Bread and butter brioche pudding was on the MDR menu every evening as a so-called "P&O favourite". I think there were three curries during the 19 nights (and of course the traditional daily curry on the lunch menu). I think there were two Marco Pierre White menus during the cruise. One had the beef wellington and the other had lobster. ISTR that there was a fair variety of vegetables. (Incidentally, am I the only one baffled by some of the obscure names that they use for different ways of cooking potatoes?) There seemed to always be a good choice of different meats and fish among the main courses.

Ok, seems that the Ventura is different and maybe a trial as asked about the bread and butter brioche pudding and was told they don't do it any more. I loved having it if I didn't fancy anything else on offer.

If it's a trial I really hope they don't roll it out on to all ships.

Noo! Save the Bread and Butter pudding! It was my go-to dessert as well.

EDIT: It was on every night on the Arcadia. Well except when the MPW disappointment was on.

Me too and totally agree will make a petition if they remove it totally as surely they must have left over bread.

On Oceana in August on one evening hubby ordered a lamb dish and the waiter told him it wasn't very nice and ordered not only his first choice but also his second so that he could have a replacement if he didn't like the lamb. The waiter was right but hubby enjoyed all of the extra veg. and the thoughtfulness of what was a great restaurant team and crew. :)

PS Not too many green beans.... and the comment about the peas not staying the plate made me laugh out loud :D:D