Which port would be best for snorkeling? (Labadee, Philipsburg, San Juan, Basseterre)

ChiralPyro

Our group of four is cruising with RC on Freedom of the Seas December 10th to:

Labadee, Haiti

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Anyone with experience know which would be the best choice for snorkeling?

TIA :D

(Looking through old threads/google too, just thought I'd ask as well.)

Edited by ChiralPyro

Lab .... nothing from the beach. They do some boat excursions now and I have not tried. Many years experience around different ports of Haiti and I don't even carry gear anymore ....

San Juan ... there is decent diving and snork' to be found around PR but not too much in the San Juan area IMO. Again, I don't even bring gear.

St Martin and St Kitts there is good stuff to be had so it al depends on where you go specifically ... but you don't need to go too far ....

I can't give specific recommendations, but these two places are the ones to pursue .... In St M I've done perfectly satisfactory 'ship excursions' for both snok' and SCUBA.

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 3 weeks later...
Our group of four is cruising with RC on Freedom of the Seas December 10th to:

Labadee, Haiti

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Anyone with experience know which would be the best choice for snorkeling?

St Maarten: many years aog, we went with the ship shorex to Pinel, fine; last time, Capt Alan to 3 spots (fabulous); this time we're going with Octopus just for a change of sites.

San Juan: if you have a day, you MUST take the SS Tobias to Culebra. STELLAR: The very best snorkeling tour we have EVER been on (on all our Caribbean cruises we've done multiple snorkeling tours). 3 snorkeling stops to PRISTINE reefs (well, as good as it gets on the surface), plus the "most beautiful beach in the world" according to Samantha Brown. And the best lunch ever. They pick you up at your hotel, drive to Fajardo to board the cat, and drop you back at your hotel. Crazy good prices too. Superb crew. Cannot praise enough. Check out Trip Advisor for more. PS--And ONLY the SS Tobias (no, I get no kickback, lol).

St Kitts: there are basically 2 options for tours, one along the shore (with a shipwreck at 2nd site) and one over to Nevis. Both excellent--will seem rocky (rocks, not waves), but ask your crew for where to find the actual reefs. First stop on St Kitts, we went a good ways to the left of the mooring and found a nice reef. If you take a private tour (instead of the ship's) it will a) be longer and b) probably not so much of a booze cruise.