Celebrity Cruises Announcement

GoProCruiser

• 2 weeks later...

This comes after Celebrity took some heat for its "Sail Beyond Borders" ad that aired during the US presidential debates. Lisa Lutroff-Perlo (CEO of Celebrity Cruises) did a fantastic interview where she talked about how brands need to differentiate themselves to stand out:

“As we looked at our culture and our brand and our purpose, we knew we had to think differently,” Lutoff-Perlo told that audience. “People buy brands that align with their values and we had to think about our culture and our brand purpose and how it related to those values. We wanted to lead the conversation around the cruise industry.”

The company was thinking about how it could break away from its competitors. But it also felt it needed a “cultural moment” to make its message timely and relevant. It found one when the political discourse in America took a xenophobic turn.

“We felt Americans had to travel and be open to the world,” said Lutoff-Perlo. The resulting campaign, “Sail Beyond Borders,” informed consumers that “far from the rhetoric of fear is a world of differences… Our lives are not made better when we close ourselves off from the world.” It didn’t mention anyone by name, but most consumers were clear that it was a response to one of the candidates for President, and the campaign clearly took courage.

“We made a decision that if people didn’t share our values they probably weren’t going to sail with us anyway, and we had to be comfortable with that. If you make a stand for something, you also have to take a stand against something.”

After the campaign aired, Lutoff-Perlo said, there were a “small percentage of people who hated it, hated us, hated me. That’s never easy. But it was easier for me to put that aside when I saw the overwhelmingly positive response to our message.”

I'm very grateful for this and I'm glad that we cruise exclusively with Celebrity!

Hopefully, Celebrity will do a better job of promoting LGBTQ get togethers. Cunard/Princess/HAL do a very good job of hosting the events. Celebrity just has a small "note" on the posting board near guest relations. The other cruise lines mention the meetings in their daily paper.

Hopefully, Celebrity will do a better job of promoting LGBTQ get togethers. Cunard/Princess/HAL do a very good job of hosting the events. Celebrity just has a small "note" on the posting board near guest relations. The other cruise lines mention the meetings in their daily paper.

Actually, Celebrity mentions them in their daily papers as well. Note 8 PM in the Martini Bar:

24188668480_7f884b397c_b_d.jpg

Actually, Celebrity mentions them in their daily papers as well. Note 8 PM in the Martini Bar:

24188668480_7f884b397c_b_d.jpg

From what I understand this is a very recent development. There have been endless complaints about the RC-owned brands' refusal to post an LGBT gathering in the daily program. Perhaps they finally saw the hypocrisy in relation to their new marketing campaign and the above sponsorship.

Please don't think I'm being a Celebrity apologist - I absolutely believe in holding a company's feet to the fire when it comes to matters like this.

I do know that when we cruised with Celebrity in Alaska in 2011 and again in 2013, and in the Caribbean in 2015, the LGBT gatherings were listed in the daily newsletters. Maybe this was not the case for non-US-based itineraries, though?