Currency in New Caledonia and Vanuatu

CruzieChick

Can anyone tell me if I should take the appropriate country currency when in Port In Vila and Noumea as well as Lifou or can I use AUS $. Also, if need be can I change my money on the cruise ship. How much would one need to convert per day per port.

Below is a website that provides the currencies of each country of the world.

Just go to the first alaphabet of your desired national currency and scroll down until you find your country.

Start by clicking on the letter N for your first country to get the feel of it. Scroll down to New Caledonia. Next try letter V and scroll down to Vanvatu.

http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/currency_list.html

Can anyone tell me if I should take the appropriate country currency when in Port In Vila and Noumea as well as Lifou or can I use AUS $. Also, if need be can I change my money on the cruise ship. How much would one need to convert per day per port.

Noumea - Central Pacific Francs, which are available on board the ship. I can't recall which ship you are going on - but if it's Pacific Star they have a machines like ATMs in the Pursers lounge which take AU$ and dispense CPF, and vice versa. Don't try using AU$ in Noumea.

Vila - most shops will take AU$ at fair exchange rates. If you are getting a taxi or bus to/from the town they will ONLY take AU$. Shops will also take Vatu (the local currency) but this isn't available on the ships - you'd need to get it either before you leave (from a currency exchange place) - or from a bank in Port Vila.

Lifou - not sure. But I believe it's Central Pacific Francs. Markets and the like will probably take AU$.

Kym

Hi cruiser. I have always found Vila will accept Aussie dollars.

in New Caledonia, some places accept Aussie dollars, but most only take Pacific Francs. you can change your money on board the ship.

upon returning to change back to Aussie dollars (if you have any francs left) they will only accept paper money, no coins.so use them up.

New Caledonia is fairly expensive..... I only buy wines I can't buy anywhere else, or Lingerie I can't get in Australia.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Does anybody know the restrictions on what you can and cannot bring back from shopping in Vila, Noumea and Lifou.

We went to Portside Saturday 11 Nov and the Star was arriving home. People were saying they had wood items and jewellery taken while others who had the same wood items apparently got to keep theirs.

We would like to have some idea as we dont want to buy heaps and have it all confiscated on return.

Thanks

Hi beginner,

be careful not to buy anything with seeds, tortoise shell or shells .

you should be given info in your cruise packet from P&O on quarantine restrictions. wooden articles are checked by the inspectors for borer etc , most after fumigation are O.K.

if in doubt about anything when you are getting off ship, declare it on the incoming card.. better to be sure than receive a fine.

have a lovely cruise.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

They wont give you anymore stuff on boarding. There is a brochure in the compendium in your cabin. Also have a display in the foyer. But I swear that I brought back after declaring some of the items in the cabinet which they say are prohibited.

I have had some shell necklaces let through and others confiscated. I guess you have to decided what you are willing to spend and possibly lose. Keep an eye out for borers and bark etc they are probably your main problem with wood.

Does anybody know the restrictions on what you can and cannot bring back from shopping in Vila, Noumea and Lifou.

We went to Portside Saturday 11 Nov and the Star was arriving home. People were saying they had wood items and jewellery taken while others who had the same wood items apparently got to keep theirs.

We would like to have some idea as we dont want to buy heaps and have it all confiscated on return.

Thanks

We had a woven mat taken as there were very little spiders in it. When the Customs lady tapped the mat on the table they all fell out. Wow, we were really shocked! We had necklaces and a windchime taken as they were made with a very nasty seed and another larger seed on them (these weren't in the display cabinet at the tour desk) and we nearly lost a woven bag but she told us to get going before she had to take it!!

In Noumea you can buy sand pictures behind frames. Don't. These are also banned from entering Aust. Don't buy the leafy photo albums either. everyone we knew who bought one had it taken off them. They cost $10 so not very happy!

We bought a bow and arrow and a wooden Lifou ornament and these got thru Customs fine. You just need to be careful when buying them that they don't have little holes in them (hubbys a builder so knew what to look for).

The only shell you can't bring in is the 'snail shell'. We bought back some of the most beautiful shells that hubby was given. We didn't think they'd be allowed in but these were fine.

Be carefull when buying the necklaces because most of them are made with seeds and some are even dyed another colour so you can be conned:o

Kerri

We had a woven mat taken as there were very little spiders in it. When the Customs lady tapped the mat on the table they all fell out. Wow, we were really shocked! We had necklaces and a windchime taken as they were made with a very nasty seed and another larger seed on them (these weren't in the display cabinet at the tour desk) and we nearly lost a woven bag but she told us to get going before she had to take it!!

In Noumea you can buy sand pictures behind frames. Don't. These are also banned from entering Aust. Don't buy the leafy photo albums either. everyone we knew who bought one had it taken off them. They cost $10 so not very happy!

We bought a bow and arrow and a wooden Lifou ornament and these got thru Customs fine. You just need to be careful when buying them that they don't have little holes in them (hubbys a builder so knew what to look for).

The only shell you can't bring in is the 'snail shell'. We bought back some of the most beautiful shells that hubby was given. We didn't think they'd be allowed in but these were fine.

Be carefull when buying the necklaces because most of them are made with seeds and some are even dyed another colour so you can be conned:o

Kerri

Thanks for the advice. It all sounds so tricky. I dont want to buy presents etc to them have them taken and not have any presents for anybody. How embarrasing would that be!

Thankyou everyone for your answers on the currency in Noumea and Vila.

Beginner_cruiser you said your leaving On Saturday - looks like we may be on the same cruise. It also appears we share the same concerns!! I do hope all goes well with the things we buy and try to bring back

Thankyou everyone for your answers on the currency in Noumea and Vila.

Beginner_cruiser you said your leaving On Saturday - looks like we may be on the same cruise. It also appears we share the same concerns!! I do hope all goes well with the things we buy and try to bring back

CruzieChick - we must be on the same cruise - both leaving on the 18th Nov. If you see someone crying because her stuff has been confiscated then that will be me - lol. It should be a great cruise. I am really excited but a little stressed as i want to know all the little details so i am prepared and dont get caught out with anything. I am sure it will all go smooth.

Beginner cruiser and Cruiziechick, there will be 4 of us - 2 couples - on R638.

We are retirees, so will be just lolling around, taking a well-earned rest, while you young things do all the active stuff...hope we all have a wonderful cruise!

Beginner cruiser and Cruiziechick, there will be 4 of us - 2 couples - on R638.

We are retirees, so will be just lolling around, taking a well-earned rest, while you young things do all the active stuff...hope we all have a wonderful cruise!

Cant wait! There are 8 of us. My family and family friends! It will be a great week!

Hi all going on R638 & those concerned about customs.

A couple of ideas for unusual gifts, all of which we were able to bring back through customs.

We bought Tanna Coffee (a decent drop too I might add!).

Vanilla Beans that we were given on our tour in Lifou (& can be bought in Villa).

Necklaces made out of carved sea urchin spine....good present for kids, at the markets in Villa & very cheap.

Also, just a hint, we put all our customs stuff in a backpack and the customs guy said it was great to see everything in the one spot as it made the process quicker for everyone.....it's good to keep them happy!

Have a good one!

Kerri

Thanks, Kezza! Those are the sort of souvenirs that would appeal to us too. I wonder if the sellers know we can't bring them into Australia and sell them anyway.

My husband brought a large wooden sail boat in Vila and checked it for borer holes (he is a builder so he knew what to look for). When we disembarked the customs guy checked it out and said that he could not see any sign of borers BUT if we got home and noticed any white (powder looking):eek:stuff then put it in the freezer for two weeks. The next day we had powder on our TV unit, so into the freezer chest it went for 3 weeks. No more powder has been seen.

Karen

Yep, coffee and vanilla beans sound good -

I'm surprised they let you bring in the beans - I suppose they are processed?

Hi acdc,

The beans are picked and dried before they are ripe, hence the seed is not mature enough to propogate. Of those we didn't give away, my DH cut one in two lengthways, and has scented our sugar...the others are in an airtight bag and should keep for at least 5 Years! (Being a chef I'm taking his word for it..)

Cheers.