San Juan- late arrival - NO FORTS- what to do?

happybunny1207

My family and I have been to San Juan 3 times now and we've gone to the forts EVERYtime, I don't want to do that again. We will be traveling with 4 adults and 3 kids with all levels of age and ability or lack thereof. Ages range from 5 to 65. What else is there to do? Carnival's ship sponsered excursions are leaving much to be desired. Dies anyone have suggestions? We're there from 3-11

I'm not sure what we'll do in San Juan, since we're still a year away. However, I was also disappointed in the lack of non-beach options in San Juan (and most of the Caribbean ports) since we're not the type to enjoy hours upon hours at a beach. This is what I found:

Parque de las Palomas - a park with zillions of pigeons. You can buy a bag of pigeon feed for $1 and the pigeons will flock to you. Our 9 year old will get a kick out of it.

Parasailing - several companies offer it. I like that you can be an observer on the boat for only $20. I'm not about to get up in one of those things, but my husband and daughter would jump at the chance. They would most likely be able to take you as long as it's still light outside.

Casa Cortes - part chocolate "food art museum" and part chocolate store. Who doesn't love chocolate, especially if you're a kid?

Plaza del Quinto Centenario - this plaza has a public splash pad in the middle, near the totem pole. I imagine this would be an option until dusk, since it's a public park.

There is also a food truck festival in the spring, but not sure about next year's date. You could probably google it if your cruise is in the spring.

Are Casa Cortes and Parque de las Paloma's near where Anthem docks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea where Anthem docks, but I know Casa Cortes is less than a mile from Carnival's dock. I think a cab would be necessary for Pigeon Park, especially since the streets are hilly and I have rheumatoid arthritis, which would make walking painful if it's very humid when we're there. I may look into the free trolley route before we make any final decisions, though.

• 3 weeks later...

There is also a food truck festival in the spring, but not sure about next year's date. You could probably google it if your cruise is in the spring.

Looks like this year's food truck festival is May 15th, but that's just for 2016 :)