Australia Visa Question

We will be going on an Australia and New Zealand cruise shortly and I know you don't need a visa for New Zealand but you do for Australia. My question is when you go online to fill out the application for the Australian Visa how long does it take to receive it? Is it something printed off of your computer or is it mailed to you? How far in advance of our trip do you suggest we apply for the Visa?

We will be going on an Australia and New Zealand cruise shortly and I know you don't need a visa for New Zealand but you do for Australia. My question is when you go online to fill out the application for the Australian Visa how long does it take to receive it? Is it something printed off of your computer or is it mailed to you? How far in advance of our trip do you suggest we apply for the Visa?

The "ETA" from the official Australian Government site, is issued more or less immediately, whilst you are connected. (for visa waiver passport holders, such as USA). https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

It is electronically attached to your passport, but it's wise to print off and have it with you as well.

Nothing is mailed to you.. If you intend several visits to Australia before expiry, best to leave it until later.. For peace of mind, do it now.

Sue and Phil

Edited by Big Kev
typo

You don't say where you are visiting from, but you probably need an electronic travel authority

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Appl/Electronic-travel-authority

As the name suggests it's not paper but electronically linked to your passport.

You don't say where you are visiting from, but you probably need an electronic travel authority

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Appl/Electronic-travel-authority

As the name suggests it's not paper but electronically linked to your passport.

Some are from the US and some are from Canada so everyone can get the Electronic Travel Visa. Guess we'll apply soon even though we're not leaving for a few months so this way we know we have them. Thanks everyone for the information and for the link.:)

Some are from the US and some are from Canada so everyone can get the Electronic Travel Visa. Guess we'll apply soon even though we're not leaving for a few months so this way we know we have them. Thanks everyone for the information and for the link.:)

Just make sure your passports have 6 months leeway on them after the date you leave to return home. If you have to replace your passport you will need the Electronic Travel Visa to match the new passport.

Just make sure your passports have 6 months leeway on them after the date you leave to return home. If you have to replace your passport you will need the Electronic Travel Visa to match the new passport.

Yes, I'm aware of it with the 6 month expiration date. You are right, unfortunately so many people aren't aware of this and it can cause problems.

Yes, I'm aware of it with the 6 month expiration date. You are right, unfortunately so many people aren't aware of this and it can cause problems.

Good job, and safe travels, and BTW, you will love Australia and NZ.

• 4 weeks later...

I was told if you are travelling to Australia by ship (the Maasdam in Sept.) you can purchase our visa's on board ship. We were thinking of doing it this way because of having to give the website your full credit card number. I was concerned about wise that was.

I was told if you are travelling to Australia by ship (the Maasdam in Sept.) you can purchase our visa's on board ship. We were thinking of doing it this way because of having to give the website your full credit card number. I was concerned about wise that was.

That suggestion sounds very odd. The transport company (ship or air) is not supposed to allow you to board without a valid entry visa or equivalent.

Citizens of most countries are able to apply online for the visa waiver fast and simple. I would do before leaving home, one less worry.

The HAL site says you can apply on the ship, but still gives the link to the government site. Shipboard internet fees.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/Miscellaneous/Holland-America-cruises-ALL-Visas-info-sheet.pdf?WT.ac=FAQ_Visas_Reqs_PDF

We were thinking of doing it this way because of having to give the website your full credit card number. I was concerned about wise that was.

I wouldn't think twice about giving an official Aust government web site my credit card details. Odds of anyone getting your details is just about zero.

The website is totally safe to use your credit card number just as the one in US that I used for our ESTA is,get it before you go it takes 2 minutes

Cheers

That suggestion sounds very odd. The transport company (ship or air) is not supposed to allow you to board without a valid entry visa or equivalent.

It's not uncommon for cruise ships. It's more that they can't let you enter, not that they can't let you board. It's just in the case of airlines it's not in their interest to bring you if denied entry, since they have to take you back.

With cruise ships, they keep you on, and can either drop you off before, or after (worst case). Not as big a deal.

• 3 weeks later...

If we are flying into New Zealand to pick up the cruise and we'll be arriving in Australia by cruise ship can we still use and apply for the ETA visa? Everyone is either from Canada or the US but just wanted to confirm this Visa will still be good even though we're arriving in New Zealand first before cruising to Australia.

If we are flying into New Zealand to pick up the cruise and we'll be arriving in Australia by cruise ship can we still use and apply for the ETA visa? Everyone is either from Canada or the US but just wanted to confirm this Visa will still be good even though we're arriving in New Zealand first before cruising to Australia.

Yes, you will still need a ETA to visit Australia from NZ.

border.gov.au

Yes, you will still need a ETA to visit Australia from NZ.

border.gov.au

I know I still need a visa to visit Australia but I wanted to make sure the ETA is still the correct one if we're arriving by cruise ship.

I know I still need a visa to visit Australia but I wanted to make sure the ETA is still the correct one if we're arriving by cruise ship.

Yes there is one ETA for eligible Canadians and Americans to visit Australia, however they arrive as visitors.

The website has a contact to ask questions, if you want official confirmation.

I didn't think you needed a visa for New Zealand only Sydney.

We don't need a visa for New Zealand because everyone in our party is either from the United States or Canada. We only need a visa for Australia. Not sure about other countries.

It came within a day or less through an email. Please make a copy and carry it with you. My airline didn't have a copy of mine (bug they did for my husband). It was easy to fix that problem since I had a paper copy with me

Sent from my iPad using Forums