PLEASE help!!!! Disability question - don't move this yet

mamamzee

Cruise leaves Saturday. DH suddenly has bad sciatica and will need mobility scooter. Will the scooter fit through the door of an A1? Then, do you think we will be able to get it around the bed???

I had to have some last minute foot surgery a few years back and was confined to a wheelchair. We had booked an A1 and we ended up getting moved to an Aquaclass Accessible Cabin. I would call them and see what they can do. If there are people who are not in need to the Accessible cabins, they have to be moved according to Celebrity's policies.

The cabin doors are narrow...and there is very little floor space....I wouldn't count on it fitting.

Any way he can get a therapeutic epidural before Sat? My son has an injury that causes sciatic pain, too, and that has helped him tremendously!

We just cruised in an A1 and there's no way a scooter could fit in that cabin. However, just outside our door was an area where the cabin staff stored their cart and the person in the cabin next door to us was also able to store their scooter there. I know passengers aren't supposed to do store scooters in the hallways or public areas, but that person had also become unexpectedly ill and the ship was sold out. What ship are you on? You may want to check the deck plans to see if you're near such a location or possibly try to move your cabin.

Now that I think of it, our cabin had the bed near the bathroom and couch near the balcony. If your cabin has he bed near the balcony and coach near the bathroom then you may be able to get the scooter in the room. You can then ask for the glass table that is in front of the couch to be removed, which I think they can do.

There's a decent possibility that someone who had an AQ guarantee got placed in one of the Aqua accessible staterooms, and if you call Celebrity, they may be able to swap you with the people with the guarantee. I would give them a call to see what they can do. The accessible cabins appear (from photos, as I've never been) to be much wider and more accommodating for a scooter.

Cruise leaves Saturday. DH suddenly has bad sciatica and will need mobility scooter. Will the scooter fit through the door of an A1? Then, do you think we will be able to get it around the bed???

even if it did there would be zero room in the cabin once you did.

We were in an A1 with the sofa near the bathroom ---- even if the table is removed, keeping a scooter in that space will be really really tight, I can't see how you would get around it to the bathroom (especially in the middle of the night) or how you'd get into the closet. I agree with other posters, call Celebrity and see what you can do. Plus, there just isn't room to leave the scooter in the hallway in almost all locations, so that won't work for you. Perhaps a collapsible wheelchair might be a better idea if no cabin change can be done. Or, frankly, it might be worth the extra charge for the accessible Sky Suite.

I had to have some last minute foot surgery a few years back and was confined to a wheelchair. We had booked an A1 and we ended up getting moved to an Aquaclass Accessible Cabin. I would call them and see what they can do. If there are people who are not in need to the Accessible cabins, they have to be moved according to Celebrity's policies.

This !!

Thanks for the info. Problem is that the only accessible cabin left is a SkySuite at $1950 more.

You are misunderstanding what JONNYCT81 means.

As per Celebrity's Accessible Policy...

If someone booked into an Accessible Aqua Cabin... But they don't have an Accessibility Issue (often happens) then as your Hubby does you guys get that Cabin.

You get the Accessible Aqua one... Those in it would be moved out (probably to the one you have booked now)

The Accessible Cabins are about 50% wider so as to accommodate wheelchairs & scooters (and their turning radius). They also have roll in bathrooms & showers as well as a wee ramp to get in and out of the cabin onto the balcony.

A good friend of ours sailed in a Concierge Accessible, and he said it was terrific and more than met his needs and was scooter friendly (more so than some Hotels he's been in)

I would contact Celebrity IMMEDIATELY to bring them up to date on the change of circumstances

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We were in an A1 with the sofa near the bathroom ---- even if the table is removed, keeping a scooter in that space will be really really tight, I can't see how you would get around it to the bathroom (especially in the middle of the night) or how you'd get into the closet. I agree with other posters, call Celebrity and see what you can do. Plus, there just isn't room to leave the scooter in the hallway in almost all locations, so that won't work for you. Perhaps a collapsible wheelchair might be a better idea if no cabin change can be done. Or, frankly, it might be worth the extra charge for the accessible Sky Suite.

By the way, Celebrity will provide the fold-up wheelchair for free.

Sorry to hear about your last minute illness.

You may get more accurate info from the disabled travel boards under special interest.

A few years ago, I was told by celebrity my moms go go traveler scooter would fit through a regular cabin door as long as the arms of the scooter were removed. We ultimately decided to book a sky suite and had no problem getting in and out of cabin door...this was not an accessible cabin.

Good luck !

Edited by H2OH!

Celebrity does not give out wheelchairs for use for the entire cruise. I'm disabled, and so was my mom, and despite asking numerous times for a wheelchair for mom, we were always told no, and that wheelchairs were for embarkation/disembarkation only or in cases of emergency. While some have reported getting a wheelchair, you absolutely cannot count on that.

OP, I use a scooter and have been able to get my GoGp Elite Traveler in the doorway as long as I removed the arms. But, if they deliver a four wheeled scooter, it will not fit through the doorway at all. If your cabin is one where the bed is near the balcony, the smaller scooter WILL fit in the cabin without too many problems. Again, my scooter fit in that type of set up without any difficulty. You have to have the cabin steward remove the table and then you can park the scooter close to the desk---that's what I did.

Another solution is to rent a scooter from a local company in your city, and make sure is a brand called TravelScoot. They are very compact scooters and fold up to a size of a large carry on bag. Another brand that folds up very compact is a Luggie. That one folds up even smaller, and you can still charge the battery while folded.

Like others have said, you cannot keep the scooter in the hall nor in the elevator lobby. Unfortunately, if you leave it in a public area, there are those who could mess with the scooter and they could break it, making it unusable, and you're liable for paying for the scooter. I knew a woman who kept her scooter in the elevator lobby and some kids totally wrecked her scooter.

I hope things work out for you.

Edited by kitty9

Thanks,all. I really appreciate the comments and advice. I called Celebrity Special Needs and she told me it would not be a problem; we rented a scooter through a company that delivers right to the ship.

But, she did say, there wouldn't be a lot of room:(. Nevertheless, we plan to have a wonderful cruise to the Eastern Caribbean coming this Saturday.

uuh no they will not. WC are only privided at embrakation and debarkation and are NOT available fore use the entire cruise

also who is to say that all the HA cabins ARE NOT ALREADY BOOKED by those who legitimately need them?

and technically they cannot force anyone to vacate a cabin they have booked. not even a HA one even if they don't require it. once they were released for open booking, anyone can book it

uuh no they will not. WC are only privided at embrakation and debarkation and are NOT available fore use the entire cruise

also who is to say that all the HA cabins ARE NOT ALREADY BOOKED by those who legitimately need them?

and technically they cannot force anyone to vacate a cabin they have booked. not even a HA one even if they don't require it. once they were released for open booking, anyone can book it

I believe that somewhere in the T&C's (that nasty small print) it says they can change your cabin.

I believe that somewhere in the T&C's (that nasty small print) it says they can change your cabin.

That's correct. If you are booked into an accessible cabin, and you don't need it, they CAN move you at ANY time. Here is the line from the Celebrity website that confirms the statement:

"If a guest is booked in an accessible stateroom and they do not have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the features that are provided in the accessible stateroom, they may be moved at any time to a non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability."

That's correct. If you are booked into an accessible cabin, and you don't need it, they CAN move you at ANY time. Here is the line from the Celebrity website that confirms the statement:

"If a guest is booked in an accessible stateroom and they do not have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the features that are provided in the accessible stateroom, they may be moved at any time to a non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability."

Thank you DINAS for finding the relative quote

As I said in my previous 2 Replies... The OP needs to be discussing this with Celebrity (and preferably the folks there in Special Needs)

As her cruise sails this coming Saturday (Nov 29th) there is still time for Celebrity to fix this for her & her Hubby

Especially so if the Accessible Cabins were released to the "general population"

I take it tho they might be in a cabin they chose originally, and feel that it is prime real estate, so may not want to look into switching.

But if her DH is using a scooter or wheelchair I do think that he would find it a lot easier in an Accessible Cabin (more room to get around = less headaches)

And more so if this post is correct:

From previous posts, I believe OP is on Connie, so bed will be by the bath, virtually no room to turn scooter. EM

Layout in Standard M-Class Ships are tight to begin with (all those hallway / closet doors) and the beds are all at the front of the room by the Baths.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Discussed this with Celebrity this morning. Since it is 5 days out, the manifest has been sent to the ship. Young man advised me to try to get an accessible cabin (as the rules state) when we arrive Saturday.

seems to me that celebrity could do a bit more here than say they can't do anything because of a computer printout. Maybe "Celebrity Cruise" can step in...or send a quick note to contact_micheal@celebrity.com (their CEO's email).

They should be able to do better.....

Thanks for the info. Problem is that the only accessible cabin left is a SkySuite at $1950 more.

It wasn't Celebrity but one ship offered to move us to a suite [no charge] when they saw how much effort it was to get the chair I was using into the room, but as the girls had unpacked and it was only 4 nights we didn't bother, instead they showed us where we could park it and the bride would do so after droppng me at our cabin.

It is true that Celebrity can move you any time - in fact they can move anyone from any cabin into another at any time (there was another thread recently discussing this). That said, since it is so last minute I can imagine making someone move would be that much more difficult, if not impossible. If you husband can walk small distances without the scooter, I am sure they can arrange somewhere for you to store it outside the cabin. I cannot imagine having a scooter in a regular cabin.

In the meantime, I would call Celebrity again - if you are Captains Club members try calling that line rather than the special needs line. Perhaps they could offer you the handicapped suite for a lower price if you can get a quick doctor's note stating the requirement. If they cannot, perhaps they can do that at the pier if it is still available. Best of luck to you in resolving.