bigger passenger

closure

Just wanted to let everyone know that we just got off of the carnival valor and had not a problem in sight. We even got to sit in a booth for the first time in a long time.

big guy friendly

Motherhen, would you please give us a cruise review? Sounds like you had a great time!

My problem is not fitting in the seat okay, but not being able to have the tray come down to me comfortably when in the airline. We can not afford to go first class. Any suggestions?

Which airline are you flying Jules. I have booked extra seat on Alaska between me and hubby...can use that tray to sit drinks meals on. If the flight is not full, Alaska will redeem you the cost of the seat - if it has been booked for the purpose of accomodating someone with a size disability. They have been awesome to work with. So book at off times and chances are you will get the money for 3rd seat refunded....otherwise I just hold onto my drinks...until I am finished and pass on the meal, but have snacks in my bag...and eat before I fly.

Could anyone who has cruised lets say the Millennium tell me... I so want to try and have a splash in the T Pool... I will try to manage the steps as I have mobility issues... BUT...the problem is the swimsuit. I have one, but due to size, of me, I need to wear shorts over top of it... Will anyone tell me I cannot go in with shorts :confused: I am worried enough about even getting into the pool, and dont want to be embarassed by being told to get out because of wearing shorts... Thanks for any help....

Could anyone who has cruised lets say the Millennium tell me... I so want to try and have a splash in the T Pool... I will try to manage the steps as I have mobility issues... BUT...the problem is the swimsuit. I have one, but due to size, of me, I need to wear shorts over top of it... Will anyone tell me I cannot go in with shorts :confused: I am worried enough about even getting into the pool, and dont want to be embarassed by being told to get out because of wearing shorts... Thanks for any help....

i wear a swimsuit and shorts whenever i'm in the pool. On cruise ships and at the public pool. No one should tell you otherwise. After all, you see men and kids in the pool with shorts on, so why not women?

The T Pool (i'm assuming the Thelassotherapy pool) on the Millenium was wonderful. It's been several years since i've sailed her, but i remember it was a wonderful pool. One of the few pools that still have steps into the pool instead of pool ladders.

Enjoy your cruise :)

ENJOY! we're booking a cruise for this time next year. We're bringing my sister along and she's a BBW as well. We're leaning toward Carnival Dream or the one that sets sail in a couple weeks, the Carnival Magic. The both appear to be very friendly when it comes to their seating throughout the ship.

• 1 month later...
This is such a great thread... thought I'd bump it :-)

And... see if any of you have traveled Alaska... I was interested in the train trip, but have concerns about seating. Any fluffy-approved excursion suggestions?

Thanks! :-)

which ship/excursion is this for? If it's for the White Pass Train (which i found as an excursion on Carnival) in Skagway, it looks like those are old bench seats.

I've decided on the Magic in April for me, my husband and my sister. It has tons of great seating for my sister and I. I'm pretty worried about the stingray excursion in Grand Cayman, getting in and out of the boat. But i'll do like last cruise and contact the tour operators to find out more info. Crossing my fingers that it goes smoother than the last cruise. I'm mostly worried about my sister as she has a bum knee as well.

The train is definitely fluffy-approved. The seats are benches. If you book from the cruiseship it is a bit more expensive, but the train comes down a spur and parks near the ships. If you are the furthest ship, there is an elongated golf cart type thing which will take you to the train if needed. If you use a cane or wheelchair, or just don't climb steps well, look for the handicap marked car. It has a lift, which you can ride up even if you are not in a chair,

As a side note, there is a restroom on each car (a large one on the handicap car) and they provide bottled water to all.

M.

This is such a great thread... thought I'd bump it :-)

And... see if any of you have traveled Alaska... I was interested in the train trip, but have concerns about seating. Any fluffy-approved excursion suggestions?

Thanks! :-)

MissRabit - hope you have fun! Sorry to hear about your sister's knee. We're taking Carnival out of Seattle.

Mindy - Thanks for the info! Do you think the benches are wide enough for two fluffy passengers :-) DH and I are highly mobile... just hippy :-)

I'd guess one of you might have to sit partially sideways. However if you are lucky like I was, perhaps your husband will want to shoot a lot of video. If so, he may want to spend quite a bit of his time on the back platform of your car, leaving the whole seat for you!

M.

MissRabit - hope you have fun! Sorry to hear about your sister's knee. We're taking Carnival out of Seattle.

Mindy - Thanks for the info! Do you think the benches are wide enough for two fluffy passengers :-) DH and I are highly mobile... just hippy :-)

thanks tangerine! my sister has had knee issues since she was a teenager (surgeries too for it) but as with all things, the older you get, the worse things become irritated. I am doing my best to research all i can, not only for me, but for her as well.

• 1 month later...

Ok, Miss Rabbit, I did a search to find you and stumbled upon this thread....what a great group! :)

But what surprised me the most was when I figured out the thread was geared toward larger cruisers 'cause we cruised together and I did not associate you with any particular size.... :)

We had the BEST time swimming and floating and talking one day...you are such a great person (oh and so is the hubby)....was that in Belize when the boat died and the excursion was changed and there were not enough chairs? Did not matter....not one bit...still had a blast!

I hope we can cruise together again someday, please :o

Thanks to everyone on here! I didn't even really think about booking a handicapped accessible room! Since this is my first cruise and being big and fluffy as well as having very low vision, it was easy! I didn't have to pay a thing!

Bunny :)

Ok, Miss Rabbit, I did a search to find you and stumbled upon this thread....what a great group! :)

But what surprised me the most was when I figured out the thread was geared toward larger cruisers 'cause we cruised together and I did not associate you with any particular size.... :)

We had the BEST time swimming and floating and talking one day...you are such a great person (oh and so is the hubby)....was that in Belize when the boat died and the excursion was changed and there were not enough chairs? Did not matter....not one bit...still had a blast!

I hope we can cruise together again someday, please :o

awwww man!!! you just made my eyes leak! That was so very sweet of you to say and really truly made my day. We DID have the best time, even though the slimy ocean floor left something to be desired lol. And yes, it was in Belize out on Bannister Island.

When are you planning your next cruise? Are you sticking with NCL or venturing on other cruise lines?

Hello MissRabbit :)

As a fellow bunny person and a fellow fluffy person, I want to say that you seem like an awesome person. :) I have read the threads on BBW and you are always upbeat and knowledgeable.

I have a question, though. I saw on a previous thread that someone was barred from doing the dolphin excursion because of their size. I am wondering about that. I have booked that excursion, and have even called the cruise company, and they say there are no weight limits. Is it different cruises have different rules? I am cornfuzzed!

Thank you

Bunny :D

Edited by lovebunnyok

Hello MissRabbit :)

As a fellow bunny person and a fellow fluffy person, I want to say that you seem like an awesome person. :) I have read the threads on BBW and you are always upbeat and knowledgeable.

I have a question, though. I saw on a previous thread that someone was barred from doing the dolphin excursion because of their size. I am wondering about that. I have booked that excursion, and have even called the cruise company, and they say there are no weight limits. Is it different cruises have different rules? I am cornfuzzed!

Thank you

Bunny :D

Hello, my fellow lagomorph :) Sorry i didn't see this earlier. I haven't ever researched dolphin excursions as they are just too $$$ for me, but i just took a quick boo over on Carnival, NCL and RCCL. From what i can see, there aren't any weight restrictions. Alot of age and height restrictions, but nothing on weight. I would imagine, though, that any activities requiring the dolphin to drag/push you, they might not want a floofy person participating in (although i weigh about 35lbs in the water YAY!)

I do see more weight restrictions on things like the ziplining, zodiac boats, kayaks and some catamarans. I don't know what cruise line you're going on (or ports) but if you peruse the available excursions, they should specify if there is a weight limit. If in doubt, call the cruise line to confirm.

I hope this helps somewhat. The person barred from the excursion could have been a "one of" where the cruise line technically allows it but the tour guide made a personal decision to bar them. *grumble* Please don't let that deter you from doing something you really want to do :)

Just a note, if you aren't disabled please don't book an accessible cabin as they are the only cabins that those passengers in wheelchairs can use....and believe me they are hard to get! :)

You are so right! I wish we had a nodding smiley here!

I was thinking of that, too.

I am borderline orthopaedically disabled, and I never take a disabled facility, because I figure that there is someone who needs it more than me.

Just a note, if you aren't disabled please don't book an accessible cabin as they are the only cabins that those passengers in wheelchairs can use....and believe me they are hard to get! :)

I only book accessible cabins when the toilets are put in these little stalls and walled in on 3 sides. It makes it just as impossible for me to use a "regular" cabin's bathroom as someone in a wheelchair. I need that accessible cabin as much as you do.

But if the cruise i'm going on has a better arrangement (like the Carnival Magic i am sailing on next) and I can access the toilet, then i book a "regular" room, leaving the accessible cabin for someone who needs it.