Migraines

musik07

We have finally figured out after years of being told that I have some sinus problems or that I just get headache and I need to deal with it that I get migraines. We also think that they are triggered by artificial sweeteners except splenda and truvia (so no diet beverages served on a cruise) and when I have way to much sugar or caffeine. I have started drinking Seltzer in cans instead of diet iced teas, juices and sodas which was what I drank other than water before.

My headaches have almost gone away and are controlled with medication and diet changes. We are not to sure about what to do on the cruise. My parents are going to check what is in the flavored waters (I can't have aspartame) and if I have lemonade I will be sugar overloaded, same with splenda sweetened iced tea (RCCL has Splenda right? I can always bring my own) and caffeine.

If I travel I will fly in to Ft. Lauderdale the day before and meet up with a friend from college (if she goes) or just to be there in advance so I could get to a grocery store. I am not picky about my kind of seltzer (which is no sodium, MSG, caffeine or aspartame. JUST water and carbonation) so I could pick up pretty much any flavor at a grocery store or mini mart near the hotel but I am worried about carrying it on. I don't know about carrying it on. We don't know if we are traveling or when (we may be volunteering with Autism on the Seas) but I know that it will probably be on RCCL and they often do not allow you to carry stuff on. Since carrying seltzer on would allow me to drink something other than water and be healthy. Would this be something I could contact the special needs department about or should I just carry it on. Before I commit to volunteering with Autism on the Seas and I have this all put in my booking information through them. The migraines are treated to the point that once I take my medication I am usually back to functional in about an hour and while I do not feel 100% for a day or so I can function pretty well so it is more about prevention. Especially since I would be going to volunteer to work with the children and their families.

Any advice on how to handle this. I will be seeing my neurologist in a month or so and I can have her write me a letter stating that I need specific things out of my diet, including those things (I also don't eat specific types of cheese, meats with nitrates or a specific type of salmon) and that bringing seltzer water would keep these things out of my diet. The medication I would travel with isn't injectable so I don't need anything for that (I grew up with a diabetic dad so I know all about that too)

You should contact the special needs department as to your needs. As for bringing on your special beverages, you could pack them in a large duffle and then check the bag via the porters. But, cruise ships always have seltzer water on board, so there isn't really a need to bring your own. I've had Canada Dry seltzer on all my RCI cruises. They also have Club Soda that is similar to seltzer.

On Holland America the cold tea is brewed, not sweetened. Just tea and water. You can then add Splenda or sugar - or drink it straight like I do. It is available as an included beverage like water at lunch and dinner.

I think RCCL was the same, but I am not sure.

-Smart 4-2

Thanks!

Packing it and bringing it on would be great! I don't do club soda because it often has salt or sodium in it which they say can also be a migraine trigger. It isn't one we have identified as one for me (I keep a food diary and go back when I get a migraine and look at ingredients) but it is possible so I try to avoid a lot of sodium (I have undergone a complete diet makeover this summer). I know I could possibly get it on board but I am really not a fan of plain seltzer I usually get the flavored stuff. I usually drink polar seltzer at home (mainly because it is the cheapest at the local grocery store and they always seem to have it on the end of an aisle too so I can always find it) in a berry or citrus flavor but I just like to have something other than seltzer in there.

Iced tea is also a possibility but it is not always decaffeinated and if I drink a lot of caffeine I tend to get a migraine. While caffeine helps end migraines if you all of a sudden have way more than or way less than normal you can give yourself a migraine. They tell you to keep your caffeine levels normal when you travel and I already know I have issues with caffeine so I won't differ from my 1-2 caffeinated beverages a day than I have at home. Thank goodness for decaf coffee :)

Having been a migrane sufferer since early childhood I have learned much of what triggers my migranes. Also have learned that the special needs department of cruise ships really do not offer much assistance with the needs of migrane suffers. Even if you contact the Special Needs Department there's often a disconnect with them advising the Ship's Personnel and or it's Security in converying your need to bring special items of food or beverage on board. Therefore when you see your neurologist it's also recommended that you ask him/her for a letter stating the need to bring these items on board to be on the safe side.

It's important to note that chocolate, anything containing caffeine such as tea/coffee also are big mirgrane trigger. So eating high caffeinated desserts and drinking coffee or tea that are not decaffienated should be avoided. Alcohal including wine is also not recommended for mirgrane suffers. Just as caffiene can bring on a mirgane it can also take it away or at least reduce it to a functioning level. None of the RX medications worked for me. In my case migranes never come on through out the day. I go to bed feeling fine and wake up with a migrane. What I do is carry Execedrin.....no need to pay more for the Migrane Excedrin as all Excedrin is high in caffeine. I eat some crackers or dry toast ( ask the cabin stewart to place a place of cracker in you cabin no need to bring them from home suggest you bring a ziplock bag from home to store the crackers in so they stay dry ) take 2 excedrins and wash it down with about a third of a can Coca Cola non diet ( I make cerain on is in my cabin at all times) and than go back to bed. Within an hour to 1 1/2 hours I'm totally functional and able to enjoy the rest of the day. My doctor is in total support of this treatment. However you need to discuss this alternative with your doctor before trying.

It should also be noted that mirgane suffers often underestimate the effects of lack of sleep or sleep changes, alcohol and bright or flickering lights . All of these are also mirgrane triggers. Because bright lights such a sun light can trigger a migrane, make certain to wear dark glasses during the day. Most importantly please don't stress out about all the triggers as stress can also bring on a mirgane. FYI - in more than 25 cruises I've only had one migrane and controlled it so I still enjoyed myself.

Happy cruising !

How about bringing some herbal (non caffiene) tea bags with you? You could brew them, then pour over ice to make your own own iced tea. They come in many flavors now, so that would be a change when you want flavor.

Do *Not* carry carbonated products in a duffle bag. I had a friend have some explode on her once. What a mess. Better to bring it on in a flat, see if the market will sell you a sealed one, then tag it and give it to the porters. That's the easiest way.

I would suspect as a long term migraine sufferer you know about your triggers. One of mine is strobe lights. If I am at a show and the strobes come on (and you can never predict this), I immediately close my eyes, and bend my head down as if praying until the strobes stop. It really helps.

You might want to ask your doctor about ergostat or some other quick acting ergotamine medicine for the cruise. It really makes a difference. And as another poster said, keep crackers handy. You don't have to bring them, you can get a handful of prepacked saltines at most buffets.

Hope it helps. Migraines are no fun at all. And those who don't get them can't truly imagine how bad it is.

I always purchase a soda card. My favorite thing to drink while outside on a hot deck is simply plain soda water with a lime in it. No sugar, no nothing. Just ice cold sparkly water.

They always try to give me a little cup, i always ask for a large glass. :D

Yes, you can get regular sodas or diet sodas too. But they are more than happy just to give you soda water.

I've read that the tap water onboard is desalinated sea water. I haven't noticed any funny taste nor had problems with swelling, but I have seen posts from people who claim the water still has salt in it after being processed. If excessive salt can trigger migraines, you may need to try bringing some bottled water onboard or be prepared to buy some if you start having headaches. I've also noticed that the food onboard is much saltier than I serve at home. It's like they don't know there are other seasonings available besides salt. You can ask the waiter for plain foods, such as grilled chicken or steamed veggies.

You can always have herbal tea - with or without any sugar or sweetener. They have tea packages in the buffet by coffee station, or they bring teas to the table at dinner.

If you want to limit caffeine, they have decaf. coffee.

I think, with RCCL we had club soda in the cabin - but not 100% sure. You can call and ask (or have your travel agent do that).

You've mentioned smoked salmon, I get migraines from some brands too - be aware of smoked white fish. I felt sorry after trying it on a cruise.

Archived