First Silversea Cruise

Roborab

Hi,

My husband and I have just booked our first

Silversea Cruise on Silver Spirit in September:) Any little tips/info would be welcome.

We have previously sailed on Princess x 2, QM2 x 2 and Queen Victoria x 2. Always wanted to give Silversea a try.

Thanks in advance.

Tina

Tina,

Welcome to Silversea! You'll have a wonderful experience. I'm sure that you, like all first timers, have lots of questions. It would be best if you could throw out some specific questions...bet you'll get many helpful answers. Those of us who love SS and who take the line's cruises anytime we can, are very responsive. Maybe you could number the questions and then posters can answer in their areas of interest/experience/expertise.

Well, when your vaunted silver box arrives with your tickets you'll need to do a "docs dance" to celebrate their arrival. Mine tends to be a bit of a fast waltz with the box ending up with the box on the living room table and me with "jazz hands." :D (just kidding...abit)

You'll have a lovely, memorable experience. My advice: Silversea's own representatives are extremely knowledgeable and more than happy to guide you through any questions that develop. Really. You'd be well served to call them.

Silversea's U.S. office is in Ft. Lauderdale at 800-722-9955.

HA!!!!!!! I don't think I've posted a video to youtube of my docs dance, have I? :D

I would like to see that :)

" Do a little dance .... get down tonight !!" :eek:

I am afraid we are more refined in Australia - I just run around the house yelling " the Silver box is here !!!" ;)

Ann

Ok, here it goes:-

How long before the cruise does the "silver box" arrive?

What is the general policy on tipping the staff, all the other cruise lines I have been on add to your ship account, and we also tend to tip certain staff during the cruise, for example, room service or spa services.

I understand the the in suite fridge is stocked with your selection of drinks, are these the small little bottles you get when your on a flight? (Miniatures)

How do you go about making restaurant reservations?

Is there generally a formal night? (any help with dress code would be appreciated) We don't ever tend to wear jeans on a cruise.

Thanks

Tina

Silver box arrives about 4/6 weeks before departure

All tips are already included, you are not expected to give anyone anything more (although this may not be true of the Spa) Some guests like to donate to the crew fund if they have had exceptional service

The bar is stocked with full size bottles of whatever you want all premium brands including champagne and wine.

Your butler will make reservations for you for dinner, although for the main dining room no reservations are needed, just turn up whenever you want to eat.

There will be formal nights depending on the number of days you are cruising. normally 2 on a 7 night cruise. We have 3 formal nights on our next 11 day

cruise. Gents wear black tie and ladies cannot be over dressed. I wear a long dress. Other nights are classed as informal - I wear a cocktail dress or similar, and casual, I wear linen dress or trousers with dressy top.

Hope all this helps :-)

Amanda

We just took our first Silversea cruise in March and absolutely loved it. Our silver box arrived about eight weeks before the cruise. With only one Silversea cruise I can't say whether or not that's typical. We did not tip individual staff on our cruise except for spa services which, of course, is actually a contractor and not part of the ship's company staff and crew. You will get full size (750ml?) bottles of your favorite liquors not the airplane miniatures. We made restaurant reservations directly at the restaurant with one exception when our butler asked if we wanted to do something special for our anniversary which fell during the cruise. He set up our dinner at Le Champagne for that night which was a great experience. We had three formal nights but our cruise was 14 days. I believe on a 7-day cruise there is only one formal night. People, at least on our cruise, dressed for dinner and we noticed that there were a lot more tuxes or dark suits on formal nights than we'd seen in years on Holland America. On the whole folks dressed very well but our cruise was very port intensive so it's not like we had a lot of time on the ship during the day to see a lot of variety. It also was a late winter/ early spring cruise so it wasn't exactly t-shirt, shorts, and sandals kind of weather.

Hi, My wife and I from the UK will be sailing with Silversea for the first time on 30th November 2012 from Fort Lauderdale. We have previously sailed with Azamara and Oceania and can't wait to sample Silversea.:)

Hi tarn2008. That cruise our first cruise ever! Its our honeymoon. We are so excited and cannot wait to be spoiled Silversea style.

Hi Firstimecruiser, thanks for getting back. It will be nice to meet you fellow brits and i'm certain you and your new bride will love the cruise, we have sailed with Azamara and Oceania before and these we found to be excellent, I hear that Silversea is a few notches above those so I'm really looking forward to it.

We are on the Spirit out of Fort Lauderdale on 30th November this will be our second cruise with Silversea and I can assure first time cruiser you will not be disappointed. We enjoyed our first cruise so much we have just booked our third next May Tokyo to Anchorage and Silverseas UK office (Sylvia) were excellent to deal with. Roll on November.

Hi,

My husband and I have just booked our first

Silversea Cruise on Silver Spirit in September:) Any little tips/info would be welcome.

We have previously sailed on Princess x 2, QM2 x 2 and Queen Victoria x 2. Always wanted to give Silversea a try.

Thanks in advance.

Tina

...ask and you shall receive. i'm a chef and love to eat, so the first day on board i prepared, on our personalized stationary of course, a list of items i would like to have for dinner and handed it to the maitre 'd with a "small token of my appreciation" no sooner were we seated at our table he was right at my side going over the request one by one. at the end of our meal he had already spoke to the chef and "everything was set". one day at high tea we invited two ladies to dine with us, so i called the restaurant from the bar and told them there was going to be four for dinner tonight, "no problem". boy the ladies were very impressed, and most nights all eyes were on our dinner because it wasnt, "on the menu". another fond memory was a day at sea by the pool at lunch and the pool menu really wasnt doing it for me so i asked the pool manager if he would ask the chef to make croque monsieur's for our lunch. the pool manager asked what it was i said, dont worry the chef will know but he persisted so i explained. about 20 minutes later we were eating one of the best croque monsieur's i had ever tasted with fresh hot shoe string fries. i can still remember like it was yesterday. so i asked the pool manager to tell the chef thank you, and he said, "they kitchen was too busy so i made them for you"...

ENJOY!

...ask and you shall receive. i'm a chef and love to eat, so the first day on board i prepared, on our personalized stationary of course, a list of items i would like to have for dinner and handed it to the maitre 'd with a "small token of my appreciation" no sooner were we seated at our table he was right at my side going over the request one by one. at the end of our meal he had already spoke to the chef and "everything was set". one day at high tea we invited two ladies to dine with us, so i called the restaurant from the bar and told them there was going to be four for dinner tonight, "no problem". boy the ladies were very impressed, and most nights all eyes were on our dinner because it wasnt, "on the menu". another fond memory was a day at sea by the pool at lunch and the pool menu really wasnt doing it for me so i asked the pool manager if he would ask the chef to make croque monsieur's for our lunch. the pool manager asked what it was i said, dont worry the chef will know but he persisted so i explained. about 20 minutes later we were eating one of the best croque monsieur's i had ever tasted with fresh hot shoe string fries. i can still remember like it was yesterday. so i asked the pool manager to tell the chef thank you, and he said, "they kitchen was too busy so i made them for you"...

ENJOY!

IMHO, one of the nice things about Silversea is that there is no need to show a "small token of appreciation" to get something special. We prefer to show a token of appreciation to the staff via the crew fund. This money goes to the people behind the scenes who are really the ones doing the work.

Archived