Transfers in Rome

CruisinPashmina

We are looking for advice and info on a transfer from the airport to a hotel near the Spanish Steps, and another transfer the next day to the port. What SS is offering is outrageously expensive, both for a hotel and the transfers.

While I'm at it, any recommendations for boutique type hotels in the Spanish Steps area? This would be for our two daughters, in their 40s. I think they'd enjoy this particular lively, walkable area, but I'm certainly open to suggestions. Around $500 a night sounds like plenty to me.

Thanks!

We usually have our TA arrange our transfers. Not familiar with hotels in that area. We like it around Piazza Navona. There should be taxis available. If they debark in Rome/C, we always arrange an airport transfer since taxis are few and far between in the port.

any recommendations for boutique type hotels in the Spanish Steps area? This would be for our two daughters, in their 40s. I think they'd enjoy this particular lively, walkable area, but I'm certainly open to suggestions. Around $500 a night sounds like plenty to me.

My favorite Rome hotel is Teatro di Pompeo. It is a boutique type near Campo de Fiori, and it meets your preference for being in a lively, walkable area. The hotel web site is: http://www.hotelteatrodipompeo.it/

Romecabs is the best by far. The day of sailing, they can pick you up and combine a tour of the town with delivery shipside in Civitivecchia. Can't recommend them highly enough. Stefano (owner) still drives sometimes and is a consummate guide.

Good evening,

As many have recommended Romecabs is the BEST! Amazing drivers, service, clean modern vehicles.....last time they offered us a bottle of wine to say "welcome to Roma".

As for hotels, we stayed at the Albergo del Senato. It's near Piazza Navona.....Duct Tape's favourite area of Roma. Highly recommend it for value, service and location.

Enjoy the magical city of romance. I'm so jealous!

ScottToronto

We will probably use RomeCabs, but I have a question. Since we will have 3 or 4 large suitcases plus 2 carry ons (I never have learned the art of packing light), what size cab should we order for 2 people? We certainly don't need a mini-van as their website seems to indicate. It seems to me that a vehicle suitable for 4 people with 4 large suitcases and 4 carry ons would be sufficient.

Victoria, you won't regret it. I would email and ask. Happy to hear youre on the voyage where you'll see Andrea Bocelli. Wish Jay and I could join you and Bob.

Enjoy........I know you will.

Hugs fromToronto.

Scott

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app

Bob&Victoria; I would use romecabs and get a minivan. Miss Lynn and I have used them and we travel heavy as you do. Very good service. You do have to pay the driver in euros though, so have cash in euros available. No credit cards. We stayed 2 nights at the Rome Cavalieri (concierge level) prior to the cruise last Nov aboard Spirit. As far as hotels near the Spanish Steps, we have stayed at the Intercontinental and it was OK, but don't accept a room on the street side, because it will be very noisy. It and the Hasler, plus all of the hotels in that area are very expensive, but the location is great. Food in Rome is also very expensive any where you go.

Bob&Victoria; I would use romecabs and get a minivan. Miss Lynn and I have used them and we travel heavy as you do. Very good service. You do have to pay the driver in euros though, so have cash in euros available. No credit cards. We stayed 2 nights at the Rome Cavalieri (concierge level) prior to the cruise last Nov aboard Spirit. As far as hotels near the Spanish Steps, we have stayed at the Intercontinental and it was OK, but don't accept a room on the street side, because it will be very noisy. It and the Hasler, plus all of the hotels in that area are very expensive, but the location is great. Food in Rome is also very expensive any where you go.

Hi Doug & Lynn -

Thanks for the information about hotels in Rome. We have rented an apartment near the Piazza dei fiori for a week pre-cruise and hope it will be as wonderful as it seems to be,. We don't take advantage of hotel concierge services or even need a restaurant in house so we hope that my Italian and our French will be adequate to negotiate our way through this wonderful city. Other than the obvious highlights, any suggestions on places that we must visit? Do you have any favorite restaurants?

(Sorry to hijack this thread)

P.S. I believe we can pre-pay through paypal. Are tips included?

Edited by Emtbsam

We are looking for advice and info on a transfer from the airport to a hotel near the Spanish Steps, and another transfer the next day to the port. What SS is offering is outrageously expensive, both for a hotel and the transfers.

While I'm at it, any recommendations for boutique type hotels in the Spanish Steps area? This would be for our two daughters, in their 40s. I think they'd enjoy this particular lively, walkable area, but I'm certainly open to suggestions. Around $500 a night sounds like plenty to me.

Thanks!

Hi I hope to meet you on the cruise. It is rather expensive to stay in that area, it will probably run closer to $800 and up. We have stayed at the Intercontinental in a garden room and it was like $975. we priced the Hassler and the rooms started at that price. We have also stayed in the Raphael which is located just off the Pizza Navona. It is a wonderful hotel filled with works of arts from Piccaso and has a great roof top bar. I think it is better to stay away from city center. We have a suite at the Cavalieri over looking the city with club level service for less than down town hotels. What you enjoy is the most important.

You can do a lot of walking, which you and Victoria like to do, and see most of the sights. A walk thru the Villa Borghese gardens, down along the Tiber to Castle San Angelo, lunch at the rooftop of the Atlanta Star hotel ( Les Etoiles ) overlooking the Vatican, then back across the Tiber and up to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, then back to the Spanish Steps and tea at Babington's Tea room at the foot of the Spanish Steps. Also nice to go to Piazza Navona in the evening to people watch and go over to see the Pantheon lit at night. A walk along the Via Veneto around to the Palace and down to Trevi Fountain is also nice. For the Colesium and such I'd get a private tour. For lunch we liked Piperno and the rooftop of the Atlanta hotel. Dinner any where you go is going to be very expensive. Example: my dinner alone at the rooftop of the Cavelieri( la Pergola; had a great talk with Heinz Beck, the chef ) was @ $400 USD without wine, but it was once in a lifetime and it was excellent. In any case, I'd check the latest edition of Frommers and also check Tripadvisor relative to restaurants, because things do change. Rome is a fun city for touring for sure. Enjoy!

We had a very nice stay in Rome at Hotel Valadier. Short walk to the Spanish Steps. A very pretty hotel inside with a rooftop restaurant/bar. There is a very good basement restaurant next door. As with an above post, avoid the lower floor street side rooms as the street is full of cafes and bars and had a very lively late night crowd. Would happily stay there again.:D

We've booked hotel Anahi near the Spanish steps for 1 night before our cruise next June. Looks lovely, but who knows! We will be. Ramming as much sight seeing in as possible so will also look at Roma cars if they offer a tour as part of the transfer!

The Raphael is my next location.

Duck Tape, the room we were in was beautiful, but small. The location is wonderful with great restaurants so close by. the hotel is filled with lots of diplomats and Italian state men . Just fun. The breakfast is probably the best in the world!