Supermarket near port in Venice?

davedex

Does anyone know if there is a supermarket near to the cruise terminal in Venice that would sell any bits that we might have forgotten before departure? Also could I buy a bottle of bubbly to take on with me to enjoy in my cabin?

Any advise gratefully received.

I love cruisin!

We would add that the COOP market can be underwhelming at first glance. From the outside it does not even look like a market and one must keep an eye open for that COOP sign. And once you enter it does not look like much and you will not even see any sign of wine or soda. But walk all the way to the rear and into the back room (which is actually another building) and you will find a reasonable selection of wines, soda, and other drinks.

Hank

[quote=davedex;47088860Also could I buy a bottle of bubbly to take on with me to enjoy in my cabin?

I love cruisin!

When we cruised on HA we were allowed to pre order a bottle of vodka to drink in our cabin and it was a very reasonable price too. I don't think they allow spirits to be taken Onboard but don't know about bubbly.

Per the Holland America website, they allow each passenger to take a 750 ml bottle of wine on board at embarkation, so I think a bottle of nice Prosecco would be just the thing!

Just what I was thinking! Thanks for the information

I love cruisin!

DW usually carries a couple of strong tote bags (we have collected many on our cruises over the years) in her purse to use for wine or other stuff. But if you have a special wine carrier that would even be a better option. As Euro pointed out, the norm in Italy (and much of Europe) is not to give free bags at check-out...although they usually have bags available for purchase. But the bags are usually just the usual thin plastic bags which never gives me comfort when hauling a few bottles of wine.

And we have not even discussed "Vino Sfusso" which is also an option in Venice (and many Italian cities). These are wine shops that sell "loose wine" from large containers. You bring your own bottles (we know folks that will use empty soda bottles) and fill them up at very good prices. A fun way to buy wine :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

They sell those wine-carrier bags in the UK, because that's where mine came from. I think I've seen them in Italy too, but not often. Maybe order one from Amazon and pack it in your suitcase? They're fairly lightweight.

DW usually carries a couple of strong tote bags (we have collected many on our cruises over the years) in her purse to use for wine or other stuff. But if you have a special wine carrier that would even be a better option. As Euro pointed out, the norm in Italy (and much of Europe) is not to give free bags at check-out...although they usually have bags available for purchase. But the bags are usually just the usual thin plastic bags which never gives me comfort when hauling a few bottles of wine.

And we have not even discussed "Vino Sfusso" which is also an option in Venice (and many Italian cities). These are wine shops that sell "loose wine" from large containers. You bring your own bottles (we know folks that will use empty soda bottles) and fill them up at very good prices. A fun way to buy wine :)

Hank

We did this in Venice a couple of years ago. I think we paid about 2 euro for a 2 liter soda type bottle of wine and it was actually better wine than the bottle we had purchased in a wine store near our hotel. Needless to say we will be returning to that shop in September when we return to Venice.

Some good tips! Will try and bring one of those bags with me instead. Must check out that other wine option too..

Is that Coop much of a walk from the cruise terminal? I am coming from the direction of St Marks square (staying in Hotel Saturnia).

Some good tips! Will try and bring one of those bags with me instead. Must check out that other wine option too..

Is that Coop much of a walk from the cruise terminal? I am coming from the direction of St Marks square (staying in Hotel Saturnia).

If you are staying near St. Marks the shop where you buy wine from the barrel is just a short walk away.

Nave de Oro

Calle Mondo Nuovo 5786

Bring your own empty bottle or if you don't have one they will supply it for you. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Butting in here with a question, maybe one of you guys knows ...

I was wondering if I'll be allowed to walk into the supermarket with my suitcase? I'll be on my own, so no chance of just leaving the luggage with someone outside. I've had trouble with taking it with me into a supermarket in Spain once, so I thought I'd ask if anyone remembers seeing people with luggage at the Coop in Venice.

Butting in here with a question, maybe one of you guys knows ...

I was wondering if I'll be allowed to walk into the supermarket with my suitcase? I'll be on my own, so no chance of just leaving the luggage with someone outside. I've had trouble with taking it with me into a supermarket in Spain once, so I thought I'd ask if anyone remembers seeing people with luggage at the Coop in Venice.

Although we have never done this I can think of no reason not to do it! When you go into the market (I will not call the COOP a true Supermarket) you should go directly to the staff and ask to leave your luggage with them while you go through the market. This market is used to dealing with tourists/visitors and we would expect you will not be the first to do this that day.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there is a supermarket near to the cruise terminal in Venice that would sell any bits that we might have forgotten before departure? Also could I buy a bottle of bubbly to take on with me to enjoy in my cabin?

I love cruisin!

Hi davedex,

Looking at the date of your HAL cruise I think you will have already done this trip. If so how did you get on?

We arrive in Venice on a Wednesday morning to board Oceana, we have transfers included to the ship. Did you find any other stores any nearer and would this Coop be do able on embarkation day after flying in same day.

Hope you are both well.

June & Dave :)

Hi davedex,

Looking at the date of your HAL cruise I think you will have already done this trip. If so how did you get on?

We arrive in Venice on a Wednesday morning to board Oceana, we have transfers included to the ship. Did you find any other stores any nearer and would this Coop be do able on embarkation day after flying in same day.

Hope you are both well.

June & Dave :)

Am not Davedex, but can answer your question. The COOP market is the only supermarket (and the word "super" probably does not apply) near the port. And yes, you can easily use this on embarkation day as long as you board the ship early enough to give you a couple of hours off the ship. My recommendation is go enjoy some of Venice on your embarkation (assuming you have enough time) and stop at the COOP on your way back to the ship. It is very convenient for those coming off a Vaporetto at the Piazale Roma...and then its a relatively short walk over to the People Mover station (which will take you over to the port).

Hank

We did not find it because we got the alilaguna round from St marks in nearly 35 degrees heat and walked straight to the terminal to cool off. We did ask before going in where the store was but got blank faces! We managed to buy a bottle of fizz and white wine in the duty free and picked it up before boarding.

We are going back next year so will watch this post and investigate further then.