Wheelchair user Venice, Corfu & Dubrovnik?

Have only been to Dubrovnik.

Dubrovnik is a world heritage site with numerous ancient streets and buildings which are generally untouched by modern facilities. Disabled access is extremely limited within the Medieval Centre with many obstacles and cobbled stone streets. Most doorways of shops have a step up and are very narrow.The walls all surrounding the Medieval Centre are not wheelchair accessible. It has a total of approximately 650 steps spread through out the 1.25 mile wall.

Generally none of the ship shore excursion buses have a wheelchair lifts so you might have to try searching the internet for a private tours. However you might also want to check directly with the Shore Excursion Dept. and or the Special Needs of the cruise line you will be traveling as they might be able to assist you with accessible options.

Does your chair collapse and can you get up the steps onto the bus (even with assistance ) or can transfer into a Taxi ? If so than you might be able to at least get to town to see some of the Medieval Center or even take a city tour.

Additionally you need to check if the ship will be tendered or actually docked while in Dubrovnik. If Tender you might not even be allowed to do so with being in a wheelchair.

Venice will be difficult. You should be able to get to the main Piazza San Marco using their vaporettos (water buses that are accessible), but getting around from there will be very tough because of all the bridges, many of which are stairs.

hello fiona2,

my husband is also fulltime wheelchair user. in dubrovnik we took a taxi (10€ each way) to the old town gate. from this place you need to go down into the old town. normally the most people in wheelchair can do it alone or with assistance. with a scooter it is easy ( but i don't know how it works with a taxi ). the old city is flat and you can walk to see the old port, to sit in a street cafe watching people. we enjoyed it and didn 't feel bad that the wall is not accessible.

in venice we are once a year. from the cruise port you can easy use the people mover to piazzale roma. there you take best vaporetto line 1 or 2. these are the lines on canal grande! at the ticket box you can buy the tickets 1,80€ per using the vaporetto and one person who accompanies you is free. so you can leave the vaporetto where ever it seems interesting for you and you can visit the area as you like. with another 1,80€ you can see the next place you like. palazzo ducale and basilica san marco are mostly accessible. go to the exit and they will bring you inside without problems. if you need some more information let me know.

Hi urlaub, thanks for the information. I just have one question about Venice and that is what is the people mover? I will certainly get in touch again if I think of anything, thanks for the offer. Fiona 2

Venice's People Mover is a cable-operated tram/train system that's similar to the automated shuttles in many large airports. It provides connections between three points on the edge of the city's historic center and is wheelchair accessible .

The 3 points it connects are:

• The Piazzle Roma where locals and visitors arrive in the city by public bus, airport bus, taxi, or car.

• The Marittima cruise terminal, where many passenger ships arrive and depart. (Caveat: The Marittima station is located just outside the Marittima port entrance, which means that passengers need to walk to or from their ships.)

• The Tronchetto parking island, which has indoor and outdoor parking for thousands of cars and is also the arrival point for most tour buses.

Check out this YouTube video

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fiona,

Thank you so much for posting this question and to all for such helpful responses. My husband, a full time wheelchair user for over 40 years, and I sail from Barcelona to Venice in June and Venice had us worried. But with all this excellent information, I feel we can have a little taste of Venice.

Happy sailing.

Maggie

We used the Sage Travel link in September for Venice and got around wonderfully. I also downloaded accessible maps from this link link as well as a system map & schedule. We printed the maps a prioritized about 8 stops on the Vaparetto system thought if we visited 5 we would be doing well .... we saw exactly 3. The crew was very helpful getting DW on and off the boats in her wheelchair and even she says she can't believe how easy it was.

Don't forget that there are discounted fares for the disabled and the "pusher" travels free. The disabled & companion get free admission to the Doge's Palace and St. Marks and don't have to stand in line. There is a lift hidden away for getting to the different levels in the Doge's Palace .... a staff member doesn't offer ask a staff member where it is.

We are looking to going back this September.

Venice would be difficult but it is doable, I think, if you don't stray too far from the Piazelle Roma. Everyone wants to see St Mark's but there are other very worthwhile sites to see near the Piazelle Roma including Santa Maria Gloriosa Friari Church. I thought it was a much more interesting church than St. Mark's and it isn't anywhere nearly as crowded. San Rocco Church is almost next door and San Rocco Schula is filled with some spectacular art but I don't know if they have an elevator or not and the art is on the second floor. Check a tour book for sites around the Piazelle Roma. Not only would they be a short distance to walk to but they're never very crowded as most people head immediately to St. Marks. If you can take a vaporetto (except when we were there a couple of weeks ago the vaporettos were very crowded) you could go directly to St. Mark's square but getting inside the church would probably be out since the crowds wouldn't give you room to maneuver. A vaporetto directly to the Academia or the Guggenheim is also possible and they would be less crowded places to spend an afternoon but you need to check out how many stairs are there.

Archived