Choosing ships for the guests

My first cruise was with HAL (Rotterdam to Malaga and back) and the guests were at least 70% Dutch, and to be honest there were very few I'd invite to a party.

My second (also last) cruise was with Celebrity (Amsterdam to Petersburg and back) and we had really nice and long conversations (often ignoring all CC rules I learned about not to discuss politics or religion) and a lot of laughter with a whole range of people from Peru, Mexico, Canada, Spain, Marocco, California, Ireland, New Zealand and more. One person who happened to have a condo in Miami as well, another person who was proud of learning computers after the milling factory shut down and got himself a whole new job in an entire different area, a smoking and drinking Islamic person explaining alcohol policies in Marocco, a woman telling some tourist fact about "Holland" and "The Netherlands" whom we could enlighten a bit. Even the few Dutch on board were cool. One night we were singing both Cup Song and Gaudeamus igitur. I'd invite ALL of them to a party.

In the CC reviews of ships, average age is often discussed. I'd like to know what ships have the same kind of guests Celebrity Silhouette had during their Baltic Sea cruise.

Often the nationality of the guests depends on the embarkation port and the itinerary. We did a 5-day cruise out of Oslo and most of the ship's guests were from Norway - actually only 32 US citizens on board. We stayed on that ship for a 9 day British Isles cruise which had a mixture of nationalities.

Marianne

It is hit or miss what demographic you could find on any given cruise. Clearly if your ship is sailing from Amsterdam to Amsterdam (or Rotterdam) there is a good reason to expect a lot of Dutch people. But it is also true that any given cruise can attract a different group than was on the cruise ahead of that one or following.

No one can promise you of what age the guests, what Nationality, what interests those on the next cruise you book will be comprised.

It is almost axiomatic that the passengers on a HAL ship doing a round trip out of Rotterdam will have a strongly Dutch flavor- just as a three or four day Carnivsl cruise to the Bahamas during Spring break will have its own strong flavor.

Most itineraries, however, carry a broad enough variety of cruisers to provide compatibility for most tastes.

I can tell you that some lines tend to cater to certain countries, and the majority of cruisers will be from that country. For example, Pulmantur cruises tend to have a high percentage of Spanish speakers seeing that it's a company based in Spain. Katerina Cruises is marketed to Croatian cruisers. Mein Schiff cruise line is primarily German speaking passengers. As for a more international clientele, there's no way of knowing from one cruise to another how the passenger mix will turn out. It's just the luck of the draw.

Thank you all. Both cruises originated and ended in Holland, but the Celebrity one had Spanish as second language. I can see a difference between St Petersburg and Malaga, other factors (line, date) wouldn't matter much I think. It would be nice if one didn't have to rely on gut feeling to find a cruise with guests like the Celebrity one had compared to the HAL one. I do hope my next cruise will have the same sparkling (not sure about connotation here) atmosphere among guests, it really was fantastic!

Thank you all. Both cruises originated and ended in Holland, but the Celebrity one had Spanish as second language. I can see a difference between St Petersburg and Malaga, other factors (line, date) wouldn't matter much I think. It would be nice if one didn't have to rely on gut feeling to find a cruise with guests like the Celebrity one had compared to the HAL one. I do hope my next cruise will have the same sparkling (not sure about connotation here) atmosphere among guests, it really was fantastic!

We have cruised several HAL ships and I must say that the atmosphere that you have encountered on the Rotterdam, differs quite a lot from the rest of the fleet in my opinion. We have found the fact that the Rotterdam caters primarily to Dutch people, makes this a different ship in many perspectives! We have found the other ships much more enjoyable, having far less fellow countrymen on board, in some cases less than a couple of percent of the whole ship!

If you take a cruise, especially on HAL, that begins and ends in Holland you are going to have a disproportionate number of Dutch. Take that same HAL ship on a cruise that begins and ends in Ft Lauderdale and you will have mostly Americans. If you want to cruise in Europe with fewer Dutch. then consider using a different embarkation port such as Barcelona or Civitavecchia.

Hank

If you take a cruise, especially on HAL, that begins and ends in Holland you are going to have a disproportionate number of Dutch. Take that same HAL ship on a cruise that begins and ends in Ft Lauderdale and you will have mostly Americans. If you want to cruise in Europe with fewer Dutch. then consider using a different embarkation port such as Barcelona or Civitavecchia.

Hank

Especially a Pullmantour out of Barcelona, or MSC from Civitavecchia.

After many years of travel on land and on sea our favourite travel companions are Australians. Hands down.

My experience as well. Followed by Canadians.

Actually, I think Kiwis would be even better but their numbers are so few that we don't encounter them often outside NZ.

Our next trip will be with Australians and I hope they will continue to live up to their easy going and positive reputation. We met a few black sheep in Australia. But all is good, "no worries"!

We have cruised several HAL ships and I must say that the atmosphere that you have encountered on the Rotterdam, differs quite a lot from the rest of the fleet in my opinion. We have found the fact that the Rotterdam caters primarily to Dutch people, makes this a different ship in many perspectives! We have found the other ships much more enjoyable, having far less fellow countrymen on board, in some cases less than a couple of percent of the whole ship!

My cruise companion had a cruise in Indonesia on the Rotterdam and said the guests were completely different from the ones we saw on the Rotterdam on our cruise.

I don't hate the Dutch. For example, I'm Dutch myself :) But a ship filled with 70% Dutch feels as if I'm in my local supermarket instead of on a holiday. Especially when the majority of them are the kind I wouldn't socialize with anyway. They were rude to the crew, complaining about everything, and even didn't understand simple English like "this side of the Lido is closed madam, please go to the other side". We asked not to be seated at a Dutch table.

I do hope that you don't think all Dutch are all like that :D The Dutch on X were fantastic, I can only hope they liked me as well :)

After many years of travel on land and on sea our favourite travel companions are Australians. Hands down.

In fact, if we were ever to emigrate to another country we both agree that it would be Australia.

We've experienced many sorts - and I am inclined to agree that Australians have always been good company: no airs, good stories, love of life. The French have struck us as the most reserved, the British the best conversationalists, the Canadians the most like Americans - and I suppose they talk the funny way they do to avoid being thought of as American.

I don't hate the Dutch. For example, I'm Dutch myself :) But a ship filled with 70% Dutch feels as if I'm in my local supermarket instead of on a holiday. Especially when the majority of them are the kind I wouldn't socialize with anyway. They were rude to the crew, complaining about everything, and even didn't understand simple English like "this side of the Lido is closed madam, please go to the other side". We asked not to be seated at a Dutch table.

We have the exact same feeling, being Dutch ourselves too. Some crowds during cruises from Rotterdam, are there because of heavy discounted prices on the Dutch market, so they bring in not always the best of the best!