Washing Clothes

themooths

Hi all,

we will be cruising for 3 months (yeah!!) and there are on board laundromats but I do not want to use the driers . Any tips?

Welcome to cruise critic...I understand not wanting to use the dryers..as I have many laundry items that I prefer to hang dry too, and at home I have plenty of room to hang dry in my laundryroom...Can't do that onboard...or you might see some people walking around in your clothes :eek:..I guess you'll just have to hang them up in your cabin...Good luck and enjoy being onboard 3 months :D

Send them to the ships laundry

Not if you are worried about shrinkage...they will wash EVERYTHING in HOT water. Even if you put all your silky unmentionables in a separate bag with explict instructions, they will be tossed into the 350 lb loader with everyone else's laundry.

I put the stuff in the dryer for a little while and things like cotton tops and other more delicate items I remove before they're fully dry and hang them in the closet or put them outside on our balcony if it's sunny (and we're in port).

I put those items I don't want exposed to high heat in the dryer for just a few minutes to take out wrinkles and soften the fabric. I take them out and hang to dry.

Laundry day may make your cabin a bit cluttered with hanging garments but you can hang them in various places throughout your cabin. Bring along some plastic hangers that won't leave marks on shoulders of jerseys etc

Try to bring fabrics that dry quickly.

Have a great cruise.

Not if you are worried about shrinkage...they will wash EVERYTHING in HOT water. Even if you put all your silky unmentionables in a separate bag with explict instructions, they will be tossed into the 350 lb loader with everyone else's laundry.

I usually use the laundry room & the dryers as other have said take things out before they are dry & hang in the cabin

I have only sent out a sweater to be laundered with the ship

Some delicates I wash in the cabin sink & they dry overnight

Choose your cruise clothes carefully & you will not have a problem

I am careful as to what I send out to the laudry as everything is washed in hot water and dried on high heat.

On our last 25 day cruise I actually had to do some laundry and we were fortunate to have a self-service laundry room on board. Most items I did put into the dryer. The other otems I just hung in the bathroom.

I've cruised a couple times where the shower clothesline was too short to hook to the wall. Now I always take at least 6 plastic clothespins with me and use them to clip wet things onto inside of the shower curtain. I switch them to the outside when the dripping stops so we can still use the shower.

You may also want to take a flat silicone drain blocker with you to ensure the sink holds water the whole time you hand wash.

I never realised how many people are out there willing to help:). I will take all your advise, especially using the dryers for a short amount of time. I had thought of taking along those white stick on hooks that you buy for picture hanging, a spare travelling clothes line and using our balcony a bit like the neopilitans do, especially at night in the tropics. I will let you all know how I get on.

thanks again. themooths.

WE were surprised when we took a 'behind the scenes' tour on Carnival and learned each passenger's own laundry is washed by itself. It is not washed with anyone else's. We thought it would be put in its own 'bag' and washed with others but it is not. I have stated on the laundry bag :"No bleach, no hot water', and never had a problem. (On your 10th Carnival cruise you have free laundry every cruise!

Archived