Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising > River Cruise Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old December 7th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

River cruising might not be perfect but when you factor in the time you would be traveling by bus train or auto between Switzerland and Holland there is no comparison. I also love not have to worry about where and when we will eat. We hope to experience an authentic biergarten at least once though but it will be flexible.

Researching Venice to Greek Islands cruises now

Old December 28th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinlynn View Post
A heard from Viking that a taxi from Basel to Montreuix should be about $ 330, still an awful lot, but better than the original outrageous amounts I got quoted previously.

I am still hoping another couple might want to share a ride with us. If we can get a reasonable van/taxi to accommodate 2 couples and split the cost, it won't be as bad. It is worth the trade-off to get a MUCH nicer room at our hotel by booking on our own in Montreuix . We are staying there for 4 nights after the cruise, using it as a base to visit Lausanne and Geneva and , of course enjoying all that Lake Geneva and the Fairmont have to offer.

I don't want to go by train with all of our luggage and really don't want to go through the hassle of a car rental for a 2 hour ride.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Robin
Hi Robin. I agree it's a royal pain dragging luggage all over. That's one of the reasons we started traveling light. I found I didn't need all the clothes and stuff I thought I couldn't do without. Now I find it easier to take public transportation (and a lot cheaper ) without heavy luggage. We both travel with one small carry on and a backpack. We just returned from a Transatlantic cruise and were traveling for 18 days....I even packed too many clothes!

Marion
Queen of Bermuda 6/62,Carnival Paradise 3/99,Renaissance 4 2/01,Summit 11/01,Millennium 2/02,Mercury 11/02,Star Princess 2/03,Zuiderdam 8/03,Century 10/03,Voyager of the Sea 2/04,Regal Princess - Alaska 7/04,Zaandam 12/04,Galaxy 9/05Infinity 1/06,Jewel of the Seas 8/06,Zenith 1/07,Adventurer of the Seas 9/07,Oceania Insignia TA 3/08,Solstice 11/08,NCL Jade 5/09,Diamond Princess-Alaska 8/09,Oceania Regatta TA 11/14/09,Oceania Marina TA 1/22/11,Oasis of the Seas 10/29/11,Oceania Marina 1/3/12,Amazara Journey TA 4/18/12,Carnival Breeze 10/1/12,Azamara Quest TA 11/13/13,NCL Epic 2/22/14,Avalon Visionary 5/24/14,Carnival Splendor 9/27/14-Canada/NewEngland, Celebrity Millennium 3/15/15 -Asia. Serenade of the Seas 6/6/2015 -Norway/Fjords

Old December 29th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Looking for Advice: New Suitcases/Packing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparis184 View Post
Hi Robin. I agree it's a royal pain dragging luggage all over. That's one of the reasons we started traveling light. I found I didn't need all the clothes and stuff I thought I couldn't do without. Now I find it easier to take public transportation (and a lot cheaper ) without heavy luggage. We both travel with one small carry on and a backpack. We just returned from a Transatlantic cruise and were traveling for 18 days....I even packed too many clothes!
Marion
Greetings Marion (and All Others):
My first thought is that Rick Steves' packing guidelines don't take into account the established tendencies of women (NO criticism intended, please) of repeated wearing of the same top (for example) or the demands of either cruise ship travel or differences in climates within the same vacation.

From our travel (Thalys) between Paris and Amsterdam (week stay and RT Baltic cruise) we know our current luggage (stores within each other) is too heavy and clumsy (bad old-fashioned fixed wheels, etc.) and we are seriously looking for an improvement (not necessary for simple vacations, like just completed direct flight to San Juan, on cruise ship, off for a second week in San Juan, fly home). Our trip next summer has built in many steps where suitcase lifting, storage, uneven surfaces etc. are expected. We truly appreciate cruise ships with passenger laundries, as we just don't like to handle clothes to a "butler" for service. For example, a little past midway on our next vacation we will be at the Amsterdam Marriott where guests purchase tokens to use their washers and dryers (so an evenings activity, versus a day trip to a laundramat in any other city). Obviously guys are more than willing to put on the same shirt and tie for more than one 3-hour dinner and skilled eating of a bowl of soup is necessary or soup should just be passed by? Have found that one black sport coat and dark slacks goes even with a grey t-shirt!

We plan this week to reference Consumers Reports when picking up new reading materials at our library. Any recommendations for upgraded luggage (trains are definitely in our future and my wife can roll a suitcase, not lift it)? Also really interested in practical recommendations (or references to articles) for clothing (yes, for a cool month don't need bathing suits we won't wear and our July/August heat at home can wait. June 11/July 9 for us will include flight Houston/Basel, river cruise to Amsterdam, train to Ghent, Brugge, and back to Amsterdam with 12-night Norwegian cruise before return home. Have a sense that one pair of short, jeans, dress slacks seems optimal but truly wonder how dangerous? Men can easily get away with one pair of sturdy leather-top rubber-bottom and pair of sturdy gym shoes (like Rockport), but women need at least another pair of "dress."

After all, the experience of effective planning is to be enjoyed both in the planning stages and then during the planned vacation! My best for a most pleasant 2014!
DJ

Old December 29th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I bring a lot of tops that fold up to nothing and don't wrinkle. I shop at Chico's and their travelers clothing line is excellent. I rinse clothes in the sink and usually everything is dry the next morning. Everyone packs too much when traveling - we have learned over the years what we can leave home.

DH's luggage was lost by Delta when we were flying from Toronto to Rio for a transatlantic cruise several years ago. I will NEVER again have our luggage leave my sight when we travel. We never want to go through that experience again. So, carry-on it is and it has made our traveling life so easy. It wasn't fun spending our time shopping in Rio trying to find men's underwear for DH. He is 6-3/250 pounds. I think all the men in Rio wear a S-M. The cut of the underwear isn't the same as what is sold in the states. He spoke with a high pitched voice and we still laugh about it!

Good luck packing!

Marion
Queen of Bermuda 6/62,Carnival Paradise 3/99,Renaissance 4 2/01,Summit 11/01,Millennium 2/02,Mercury 11/02,Star Princess 2/03,Zuiderdam 8/03,Century 10/03,Voyager of the Sea 2/04,Regal Princess - Alaska 7/04,Zaandam 12/04,Galaxy 9/05Infinity 1/06,Jewel of the Seas 8/06,Zenith 1/07,Adventurer of the Seas 9/07,Oceania Insignia TA 3/08,Solstice 11/08,NCL Jade 5/09,Diamond Princess-Alaska 8/09,Oceania Regatta TA 11/14/09,Oceania Marina TA 1/22/11,Oasis of the Seas 10/29/11,Oceania Marina 1/3/12,Amazara Journey TA 4/18/12,Carnival Breeze 10/1/12,Azamara Quest TA 11/13/13,NCL Epic 2/22/14,Avalon Visionary 5/24/14,Carnival Splendor 9/27/14-Canada/NewEngland, Celebrity Millennium 3/15/15 -Asia. Serenade of the Seas 6/6/2015 -Norway/Fjords

Old December 29th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default working on planning to pack light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparis184 View Post

Marion
I am planning on scaling way back on what we are bringing.
Planning on packing 2 pair of jeans (wearing the 3rd), 2 or 3 light pullover sweaters (very thin cashmere), 1 or 2 pair of thin dress pants, and a few light tops, sneakers, and cute pair of shoes for evenings when I want to "dress up" just a bit. But its the other stuff...special shampoo and conditioner for my "special needs" hair, a bag full of OTC meds for every possible scenario
(we have had a tough time getting some of these as needed in Europe, all our prescriptions, and so on. Can't forget my fleecy North Face zip-up for cold days and evenings, and a little nicer lightweight jacket when I might want to look a little dressier. Then there are undies and lots of sox.
And of course, my cosmetics and personal care items.
I would love to use a backpack, but don't think all of this would fit.
We are planning on taking a small 20 inch and medium small 24 inch rolling, plus a tote for each. This is less than we have ever taken before.
Each time we travel to Europe, we downsize a bit more

We'll be gone 15 days in May, where the average temps for where we are going ranges from 40's to 60's.

What size backpacks do you use, and would they be kind of heavy for two 66 year olds? Any special brands you could recommend?

Also, is there room to hang laundry in the stateroom? I don't think it would be appreciated hanging over our balcony! We plan on using the ships laundry service for clothes, but it is all of the small stuff.

Any advice appreciated!!

Robin

When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. ~Susan Heller

Next Cruise
Viking Gullveig May 9, 2014
Rhine Getaway Amsterdam to Basel
Our First River Cruise!

2o12 Celebrity Silhouette Adriatic/Italy Cruise
2009 Celebrity Solstice Mediterranean Cruise
1999 Seabourn Legend Mediterranean Cruise
Too many RCL Caribbean cruises to remember--we live in South Florida!

Old December 29th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hello robinlynn,

that sounds like a well-packed suitcase for a Rhine tour in May! As regards bags I cannot be of much help as I did not need to fly to my embarkation port of Passau. My problem was the narrow aisle on the fast train. I scraped people's seats and coats with my large trolley suitcase. It is much easier when the wheels on the suitcase allow you to pull it sideways.

A note on the temperatures: the average temperatures you have given seem right for May. If we get a spell of hot weather the temperatures could peak at 65 to 75 in the afternoon. Heavy rain is not so likely at the beginning of May, but possible of course.

Oh, and make sure to bring sturdy shoes for those dreaded cobblestones.

notamermaid
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's

Old December 29th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Well Robin it looks like you are doing great with your planning for this trip.

We both take one backpack each- a normal size - nothing large. The backpack is very lightweight so we can fit a lot of stuff in it....like meds, cosmetics, toiletries, etc. BTY - I only bring the basics and leave most of what I use at home at home - I really do travel light. It is a must since we don't check any luggage. We are both older than you and have no problems with the backpacks. I wear a lot of clothes on the plane and take them off and place them in the overhead bin or use them as a pillow during the flight- like a jacket and fleece. I must have my fleece and get a lot of use out of it. Keep downsizing and soon you will be traveling like us!

The showers on the ship have clothes lines for you to dry your clothes. If you can't find it ask your stateroom attendant to open it for you.

Marion

Old December 29th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default clothes line in showers on Viking ships?

Anyone who has been on the new Viking ships know if the showers can accommodate a clothes line?
Thanks
Robin

When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. ~Susan Heller

Next Cruise
Viking Gullveig May 9, 2014
Rhine Getaway Amsterdam to Basel
Our First River Cruise!

2o12 Celebrity Silhouette Adriatic/Italy Cruise
2009 Celebrity Solstice Mediterranean Cruise
1999 Seabourn Legend Mediterranean Cruise
Too many RCL Caribbean cruises to remember--we live in South Florida!