New Orleans hotel

redcardms

I have just started researching some hotels for our January cruise. We will only be spending the night before our cruise.

Can anyone tell me about the Sleep Inn Suites in Metairie. How far of a drive to cruise port? Is this a nice area? If anyone has stayed there would you recomend it?

Or would you recomend any other hotels.

The cost for a suite seems pretty reasonable so I am hoping to make a decision soon.

Thanks

When we sail out of NOLA we stay in the Warehouse Dist such has the Hyatt Place, Marriot Cov Center, Springhill Suites or Courtyard. We park at Fulton Street Parking as they have free shuttle to the pier. You can take the Riverfront street car into the Qtr and have a mini vacation before you sail.

Staying in NOLA is a balance of price and distance. It depends on what you are wanting. The area that Sleep Inn is fine as its just off I-10 and you can figure a 20-25min drive. If you are departing on Sun the traffic is not bad.

We have stayed at the Quality Inn and Suites Maison St. Charles on St. Charles Avenue on the eastern end of the Garden District and loved the area. Lots of shops and restaurants that are walkable and the streetcar stops right in front of the hotel. They were booked up for our next cruise so we will be staying at The Prytania Park Hotel just down the street. Both of these have that old New Orleans charm but are clean and safe and reasonably priced. It was about a 10 minute taxi ride to the port and that was on a very busy St. Patrick's Day just at the time everyone was assembling for the parades in that area.

are you wanting a park and sail package? We have stayed at the NO Super 8....the area isnt all that great, but its secure and had no problems...the price is really good...like $68 for the room and parking for the week..the lot is fenced, so your car should be fine...you have to take a taxi to the port and it was only like $15 for the 2 of us...This year my DD wanted to try something different, so we are staying at the Holiday Inn tower with a park and sail package...it is $129 for 2 adults and 1 child...it includs parking for the week as well plus breakfast for 2 people....the taxi ride is only about $5 from what Ive been told....it is about the same to the French Quarter as well from there its the Holiday Inn West Bank.

are you wanting a park and sail package? We have stayed at the NO Super 8....the area isnt all that great, but its secure and had no problems...the price is really good...like $68 for the room and parking for the week..the lot is fenced, so your car should be fine...you have to take a taxi to the port and it was only like $15 for the 2 of us...This year my DD wanted to try something different, so we are staying at the Holiday Inn tower with a park and sail package...it is $129 for 2 adults and 1 child...it includs parking for the week as well plus breakfast for 2 people....the taxi ride is only about $5 from what Ive been told....it is about the same to the French Quarter as well from there its the Holiday Inn West Bank.

It will be my wife and I and our 3 girls so we are hoping for a suite. We are planning on parking at the port since we will have a long drive home after the cruise and hoping to get an early of a start home as possible.

We sailed out of NOLA last year and I booked a room through lastminutetravel DOT com. It was at the Hilton Garden Inn just a couple of blocks from the port. We could actually see the whale tail of the Conquest from our room that morning! I was able to get a great deal and we also parked at the Fulton Street garage which saved us even more. The shuttle is prompt and you should be back on the road in no time. When you stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, you get that night's parking for free so that you'll only need to pay for the nights that you're on the cruise. We will definitely be parking there again when we cruise from NOLA!

I hope this helps & happy cruising!

If you want to visit the French Quarter & experience a bit of New Orleans, Metairie is a bit of a ways out and IMO would be inconvenient. If you're just crashing at the hotel for the night before you cruise, it would probably be fine. Like the poster above says, in New Orleans you really have to balance location vs. price.

Metairie wouldn't be my first choice. It's probably 20 minutes to the Port, more to the French Quarter.

I'll second SWSSMH. Metairie would not be my first choice of a place to stay in New Orleans, unless you were just flying, spending the night, and heading to the port the next morning.

If you want to see anything of New Orleans at all, you need to stay downtown. There are many, many hotels in the downtown area, and most of them are within easy walking distance of the Quarter and other attractions. Prices will be higher than out in Metairie, of course, but hunt around and you should find something that suits.