spices

dyanna72

If you are interested in spices, you should visit the nutmeg factory. We were surprised at what an interesting tour it was. You can see all the steps that take place from harvesting to shipment.

We learned that Grenada supplies 40% of the world's nutmeg, even though nutmeg is not native to the Caribbean. We also learned that rum punch tastes much better with a pinch of nutmeg on top! The same plant also supplies the spice mace, and nutmeg has medicinal uses. Spice baskets from Grenada make a nice, inexpensive gift.

Grenada calls itself the "spice island" and it's true. You can find nutmeg (the nuts in the shell) and mace (which forms on the outside of the nutmeg shell). But there are also cloves, vanilla beans and cinnamon to name a few. Plus they sell blends - like curry powder. The curry powder we bought in Grenada was delicious. Wish I had bought a package twice as big.

Bring ziplock bags to seal your spices up, or your cabin will smell very fragrant after only a few hours.

• 5 months later...

I've brought spices back from Grenada for years and have enjoyed using them. The bottles and packets they sell in the terminal while packaged decently are over priced IMO I think they charge too much vs what you can purchase elsewhere.

Grenada calls itself the "spice island" and it's true. You can find nutmeg (the nuts in the shell) and mace (which forms on the outside of the nutmeg shell). But there are also cloves, vanilla beans and cinnamon to name a few. Plus they sell blends - like curry powder. The curry powder we bought in Grenada was delicious. Wish I had bought a package twice as big.

Bring ziplock bags to seal your spices up, or your cabin will smell very fragrant after only a few hours.

A word of warning on the plastic bags and ziploc bags....The spices and spice necklaces are beautifully aromatic that it true but you need to remember that, like bananas, they are organic and if kept in the plastic bags for too long will start to mould.

If buying at the start of your cruise try to take the spices out of the bags for a while so that they remain dry and fresh. If buying towards the end you should be ok.

Have a 'spice'-tastic time on our island :cool:

If you go to the left from the ship and through the tunnel you get to the harbour. Along there you get ladies selling baskets with spices at half the price of the sellers around the ship area.

Just to offer a little bit more direction (I hope you don't mind :o). When you get outside the cruise liner terminal (i.e. trhough the shops onto the main street) turn 'right' and approx. 200yds you will see the tunnel. Go through by keeping to the right hand side. After you come out follow the road as it bends left and then look right and you will see the Carenage.

Islandstar,

I take it you are local. You help is appreciated. The lady I bought my spices from in January was lovely. We chatted on the way round the bay and I promised to buy from her on the way back. She was so pleased that we kept our promise. The nutmeg is still in use now. Every time I use it the smell takes me back to the Caribbean. :)

Islandstar,

I take it you are local. You help is appreciated. The lady I bought my spices from in January was lovely. We chatted on the way round the bay and I promised to buy from her on the way back. She was so pleased that we kept our promise. The nutmeg is still in use now. Every time I use it the smell takes me back to the Caribbean. :)

Glad to be of help :D

I definitely consider myself to be a local now - drive in the middle of the road and everything :p

What about buying spices in a supermarket. Its been 30 years since I was in Grenada but a supermarket near the open air market in town had a spice I loved. It was a combination of several spices sold in a bottle packaged locally, Much cheaper than anywhere else. Is there still a supermarket there?

• 1 month later...
Just to offer a little bit more direction (I hope you don't mind :o). When you get outside the cruise liner terminal (i.e. trhough the shops onto the main street) turn 'right' and approx. 200yds you will see the tunnel. Go through by keeping to the right hand side. After you come out follow the road as it bends left and then look right and you will see the Carenage.

Can you please tell me a cost range for the Spice Necklaces?

Making my shopping lists :D

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Grenada in December. We did a tour of the nutmeg plantation and the factory. At the plantation they sold various spices, a bag of 6 nutmegs was only $1. Outside of the factory I bought a spice filled bowl for $5 ( I didn't try to bargain) then on my way back, the same lady asked me to buy the spice necklaces 2 for $5. I had $2 in my pocket so I offered to by 1 for $2, she was ok with that. I'm sure if I would have tried I could have gotten for less, but I was happy with the purchase. I love the fragrance of my necklace!

LOL -- even tightly wrapped in plastic, those spice baskets are quite fragrant. We tossed ours into our cabin closet, and closed the door. Next day, our clothes had a distinctly "spicy" aroma -- but, we agreed that was better than smelling like the stinky shoes in the closet! :p