Remember when???

Catnip

The cruise lines used to give away free playing cards? I still have a pack or two in their cellophane wrappers. And matchbooks, too. And they used to give the passangers a list of all the passengers (names & cities) that were on that sailing.

I also remember when soft-drinks were free in the dining room!! :o

Actually you still can get playing cards. Just go to the pursur's desk and ask. They have never turned me down. I have done this on Carnival, Princess, and HAL. I can't believe I forgot to do this on Royal Carribbean when I was on the Mariner last week.

And they used to give the passangers a list of all the passengers (names & cities) that were on that sailing.

I still have the passenger list from a passage on the old Queen Elizabeth in 1967. My 14-year-old sister was listed as my daughter (I was 19). She was extremely offended. The same thing happened when we needed to get a transit visa through East Germany. Since she was under 16, she was named on my visa as "and child". Since we both looked about the same age, that raised a few eyebrows.

And they used to give the passangers a list of all the passengers (names & cities) that were on that sailing.

I still have the passenger list from a passage on the old Queen Elizabeth in 1967. My 14-year-old sister was listed as my daughter (I was 19). She was extremely offended. The same thing happened when we needed to get a transit visa through East Germany. Since she was under 16, she was named on my visa as "and child". Since we both looked about the same age, that raised a few eyebrows.

I can remember this... I loved it. I would read it to see if there was someone from my area. Almost like getting the phone book the day it arrived to see if you were still in it.

I have so many packs of playing cards, shampoo bottles, notepads. I absolutely LOVED the passenger lists. I still have a bunch of them. It's kind of sad that the world is viewed as too unsafe to roduce passenger lists anymore. I remember being able to call the cruise line to locate cruise staff members on the ships. I hear that on some of the ships, the Captain doesn't even shake hands with the passengers anymore. He just shows up, makes a speech, and heads to his dining table. I know it's all fluff, but don't you go on cruises for the fluff of it all?

:eek: I hate to admit this, but I'll be honest and say that DH and I always get a deck from the Purser's Office on our cruises...:eek: Why, I have no idea because they end up sitting somewhere lost in my house!

I bet you could sell them on EBAY! I've seen people pay $10 for a souvenier glass on there! JanetMarie, don't worry, now that I know you can get them at the purser's office, I'll get them every single cruise for no particular reason. The other thing I miss is how RCI (the cruise line formerly known as RCCL) used to put a little piece of paper with the next day's forecast with the chocolate on the pillow. The paper said...sweet dreams. I know, I'm ridiculous.

MIMIKINS - Yes! The weather forecast with the chocolate on the pillow at night! I used to save those. I think one day when I was going through all of our cruise "stuff" that I may have tossed them or used them when I scrapbooked our cruises...:p The things we collect! ;)

• 2 months later...

On my last Princess trip I found a basket of cards in the "cardroom"..The sign asked that they be "returned at the end of the cruise" ! :rolleyes:

OOps..some how they landed in my carry on... :eek:

I have lot sof Princess pins, the passanger lsits from cunard, Plus the ashtrays the Cunard gave out with a map of the cruise and the dates.

The best and used again item was the books Cunard gave with port information and the shore excursion information. Some of the port infor about sights was handy when I helped freinds plan a land based trip. Much more detailed books then the current ones from Princess. Also more pocket sized to carry with you.

And how about all of those beautiful LaMoges (SP) plates that Home Lines left in our cabins the last night as a "Thank you for sailing with us again" gift. They were all beautiful scenes from Monet, Degas paintings, or floral. I have several hanging on our wall in the dining room. Plus, the bottles of purfume/cologne or wallet or barometer that looked like a little globe, as a "thank you for being on THIS cruise". I still have them. Not to mention the Amaretto on the rocks for 35 cents!!!!! Now WONDER Home Lines doesn't sail anymore!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

It wasnt that long ago that on QE2 and being a cunard world member that they would print out a list of other members travelling, it gave you a chance to see if any friends you had met on previous voyages would be onboard, quite often they were !!!

cheers

Myles

• 1 year later...

Marco!! You are the first person who has some of the Home Lines plates and memorabilia. I also have one of the plates. It brings back great memories of the Oceanic. I loved that ship. I last sailed the Oceanic in the winter of 1979. I remember buying a musical table from italy which was a big seller. Unfortunately I lost that in some of my moves is life. Also have some Lladro's that they often featured. I was fairly young and did not keep most of the things they left but I wish I had now!

• 7 years later...
And as a member of their loyalty program

you could visit any ship that was in port by showing your member card

Geez that would be nice today

- to visit any other ship of your cruise line, if in port when yours was..

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
And how about all of those beautiful LaMoges (SP) plates that Home Lines left in our cabins the last night as a "Thank you for sailing with us again" gift. They were all beautiful scenes from Monet, Degas paintings, or floral. I have several hanging on our wall in the dining room. Plus, the bottles of purfume/cologne or wallet or barometer that looked like a little globe, as a "thank you for being on THIS cruise". I still have them. Not to mention the Amaretto on the rocks for 35 cents!!!!! Now WONDER Home Lines doesn't sail anymore!!!!!

On our cruise in 1972 on the Home Lines, we got a set of leather coasters as a thank you gift. I still treasure them.

Archived