Getting rid of odor in new luggage?

texasmary

Just bought some new American Tourister luggage today... leaving on cruise in 4 days. The new luggage has a very annoying plastic-y smell. Does anyone have an idea for how I can get them aired out and smelling better? I don't want all my clothes to stick the entire cruise. Thanks.

I know that smell, ick!

I take a damp cloth and wipe our the interior. Then I spray with a bit of Lysol, leaving the piece out in the fresh air to dry. I also air out our luggage when we return, I've had to toss a piece because of rank odor in the past, it was put away when still damp from something, a leaky bottle or a wet bathing suit, I have no idea.

Ground coffee (especially the strong, really cheap kind) works wonders to take odors out of most anything.

Sprinkle in about 1/2 pound per suitcase, shut up the luggage for a couple of days. Dump it out and leave the suitcases open (to get rid of any excess coffee smell).

Thanks so much for all the ideas. I don't have much time left to get these smelling better... at least acceptable. This is a strong chemical plastic smell. Today I have been using the Downy version of Febreeze. I will definitely use dryer sheets while travelling. I may end up using ALL of your ideas before this is over. I need to start packing day after tomorrow. Thanks so much!

Carefully place a dish with a wide surface in or next to the suitcase. Add plain white vinegar in the dish. It should be fine by the following day.

I always put a sheet of Bounce in my luggage. Besides making it smell better, you can tear off part and use for fabric softener when you do any wash in the sink.

Fran

I feel they have changed something with the plastic being used in the

luggage in the past 2 yrs. Never had a problem before stored the luggage

the same way, but 9/05 purchased 2 new bags and within 2 mos. they

smelled, tried frebreeze, dryer sheets, bounce, did not try the coffee.

Being my luggage had a 10 yr. warranty and they had been used only

on one trip decided to return them to the store for credit last month. Lost my patience with them. Now looking for something new and don't need 3 or 4 pieces as they are now selling. Have enough just need the 25 in. bag. Still have the older luggage and no smell in them. That tells you

something!

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I am trying something else at the moment. I realized that I had little deodorizer tablets to put in my Oreck vacuum. I just put one inside one of the bags... will see how it does overnight. If I find something that really works, I'll post it for the benefit of others. Thanks again.

I always pack each item of clothing in a separate zip-lock bag with a piece of a dryer sheet. Protects the clothes from: luggage odors, diesel fumes from the train, water, dust, dirt, easy to find everything. I always know which things are clean because they are still in a bag. I learned to do this recently and it's the smartest way I've packed yet. Takes a little longer, but works great.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I am trying something else at the moment. I realized that I had little deodorizer tablets to put in my Oreck vacuum. I just put one inside one of the bags... will see how it does overnight. If I find something that really works, I'll post it for the benefit of others. Thanks again.

Thanks Texasmary...that would be most appreciated. I bought brand new luggage for our cruise 2 years ago and had the exact same problem. Horrible, icky plastic smell. I searched and searched the web looking for a solution and ended up crumpling newspapers and stuffing them in each suitcase and let it sit for about a week. It did help some, but my clothes still had a lingering plastic smell. The same suitcases have been stored for the last two years and I'm concerned they'll have the same plastic smell again. Would love to hear what works!! The idea about ziplock bags with dryer sheets sounds like a good one too.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I am back, and we had an absolutely wonderful time. I only had about 4 days to get the odor out of my suitcases before I had to pack. I sprayed with the Downy version of fabric spray (like Febreeze) and let them air out. Then I put dryer sheets (about 5 or 6) in each piece of luggage. It worked great. I kept the sheets in for the entire trip and I left the dryer sheets inside when I put my luggage away. I did use some cheap Wal-Mart dryer sheets which had a fairly strong fragrance. Oh, by the way, the deodorizer tablets from my Oreck vacuum cleaner did NOT work... just added to the stink! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks Texasmary and glad you had a wonderful time. I'd been hoping you'd let us know how things went when you got back.

I've got the Febreeze spray but I really don't care for the fragrance. Does the Downey type smell like their fabric softener? I've a very sensitive nose and anything too highly perfumed gives me horrible headaches. I tried the fabric softener sheets last cruise and they definitely helped...my clothes just smelled like clean plastic instead of just plastic!!!!!

I went to check the container. My memory was playing tricks. It was actually Bounce Fabric Refresher (Country Morning fragrance). It did not seem too strong to me. By the way, it left a light powdery residue when it dried that I had to wipe out with a damp cloth. I'm rather sensitive to perfumes also, but I did not have a problem with the Bounce or the Wal-mart dryer sheets. I really did not smell the plastic smell at all. I am also wondering if the silicon gel packets inside each new piece of luggage was part of the odor... I really don't think so, however... I really think it was the plastic... probably made in China!! Good luck.

Archived