Luxury Alaska Fare War: Book Now for Some Great Cruise Values

LauraS

I just read the article to me some of what is mentioned has nothing to do with a fare war in Alaska but how the cruise lines are promoting many or all of their cruises for 2011.

For example, Crystal Cruises is promoting all cruise fares with 2 for 1 pricing, including air fare, and as you wish credits on all cruises in 2011 not just Alaska.

I don't think the way that Silversea is promoting their cruise fares is any different than some of the other ones mentioned where the article seems to allude that some are heavily discounting their cruise fares.

Likewise Oceania offers 2 for 1 pricing on all of its sailings.

I feel that I am pretty familiar with the luxury cruise line fares for Alaska having sailed on the Silver Shadow in Alaska last summer and booked on a Crystal Alaska cruise for 2011.

At this point I haven't seen any deep discounting. However, that was not the case in 2009 when some further discounts beyond the what is norm were implemented on cruise lines such as Silversea and Regent because of the economic situation in 2009.

To me, what might be different in 2011 compared to say even 2010 is that you have a greater choice of luxury cruise line for Alaska in 2011. As such, pricing will be more competitive than if only one luxury line was sailing there but I would not call any of the pricing to be a fare war. Time will tell if that translates to discounting specific to Alaska.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Regent seems to be pushing hard to keep it's ships as full in 2011 as they have in 2010. Now, in addition to including most excursions, they are adding an overnight stay at a luxury hotel. While I do not like to tout Regent on the luxury board since I am known to have a preference for them, in this case, it is warranted IMO. As most people know, Regent includes airfare, tips, all alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverage and many excursions. Because many flights from the east coast to the west coast arrive in the afternoon, an overnight stay will be included in many cases. The cost for excursions in Alaska are some of the highest we have seen in our travels. It is hard to beat what Regent is offering in Alaska in 2011.

Regent seems to be pushing hard to keep it's ships as full in 2011 as they have in 2010. Now, in addition to including most excursions, they are adding an overnight stay at a luxury hotel. While I do not like to tout Regent on the luxury board since I am known to have a preference for them, in this case, it is warranted IMO. As most people know, Regent includes airfare, tips, all alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverage and many excursions. Because many flights from the east coast to the west coast arrive in the afternoon, an overnight stay will be included in many cases. The cost for excursions in Alaska are some of the highest we have seen in our travels. It is hard to beat what Regent is offering in Alaska in 2011.

If someone is interested in sailing Alaska on a luxury cruise line, my recommendation would be for them to do their homework and to look into all of the luxury cruise lines that will sail Alaska in 2011. There are certainly plenty to choose from and my recommendation when it comes to Alasks is to be sure to look closely at the itinerary. After all, a main attraction for an Alaska cruise is the itinerary.

Factors to consider include the length of the Alaska cruise, which ports the are stopping at, the ports of embarkation and disembarkation and other factors such as which Glacier the ships are spending most of the day at. There is quite a difference between what some of the lines are offering in the way of itinerary.

My wife and I have been to Alaska numerous times most recently in 2009 and have another sailling planned for 2011. For us, Alaska is one of those itineraries that we do not feel compelled to do ship excursions and one that with a little bit of research one can find the excursions that they want to do at reasonable prices. The Alaska ports of call board has lots of great information on private excursions.

I remember someone saying that when they sailed in 2009 on Regent that the prices had been lowered considerably because of the economic situation and the ship was overwhelmed with children. I am all for sailing with children but this person said that the shiip was overcrowded. This might be fine for some but just again something that folks need to carefully research and consider.

Again, there are lots of lines sailing Alaska both luxury and premium on top of the traditional lines that have been sailing Alaska for years.

Keith

Keith brings up a good point. . . . children! Of the luxury lines that sail in Alaska, Crystal and Regent have children's program and can have upwards of 100 children on a sailing. For those who prefer less children, I'd recommend sailing in May (usually good weather) or late August. . . . or, check out Silversea. The Silver Shadow sails Alaska next year -- less than 400 passengers . . . small enough to get up close and personal with those glaciers.

Aren't the included excursions just the ones that cost under $150? Alaska excursions are expensive and many of the "good" ones (especially the ones that involve aircraft - floarplanes, helicopters, etc.) are much more than $150. Is Regent discounting (i.e. deducting the first $150) the more expensive excursions?

Aren't the included excursions just the ones that cost under $150? Alaska excursions are expensive and many of the "good" ones (especially the ones that involve aircraft - floarplanes, helicopters, etc.) are much more than $150. Is Regent discounting (i.e. deducting the first $150) the more expensive excursions?

To be honest, I don't know the exact cost of their tours. They offered the crab feast (a truly wonderful experience) at no cost. They take you on a boat to the venue where it is held. You have all you can eat crab (very fresh), a glass or wine or beer, a salad, etc. and then a bus back to the ship. There was a option that we took. We paid $129/each for this tour (used OBC). . . . the main difference was a 25 minute float plane ride back. Also, there were only 12 of us and the wine and beer were being freely poured.

Other "free" Alaska tours that we took was rafting by a glacier, ziplining and "ale trail" (which was actually fun and was done in Astoria, Oregon).

Based on looking at what I just posted, it does seem that you are correct. . . . these included excursions were under $150. We are going on Silversea next month and a 4 hour tour by boat and bus is $129/each. This makes the crab feast sound like quite a deal!

To be honest, I don't know the exact cost of their tours. They offered the crab feast (a truly wonderful experience) at no cost. They take you on a boat to the venue where it is held. You have all you can eat crab (very fresh), a glass or wine or beer, a salad, etc. and then a bus back to the ship. There was a option that we took. We paid $129/each for this tour (used OBC). . . . the main difference was a 25 minute float plane ride back. Also, there were only 12 of us and the wine and beer were being freely poured.

Other "free" Alaska tours that we took was rafting by a glacier, ziplining and "ale trail" (which was actually fun and was done in Astoria, Oregon).

Based on looking at what I just posted, it does seem that you are correct. . . . these included excursions were under $150. We are going on Silversea next month and a 4 hour tour by boat and bus is $129/each. This makes the crab feast sound like quite a deal!

That's what I thought. I'm no Alaska expert, but have been the past 4 years and have my cruise booked for next summer (Crystal), so I know that the excursions that really let you see Alaska are $$$$. Just don't want anyone to think that you're going to get EVERY excursion included with Regent....just the ones that they're paying the vendor under $100. :D:p;)

Keith brings up a good point. . . . children! Of the luxury lines that sail in Alaska, Crystal and Regent have children's program and can have upwards of 100 children on a sailing. For those who prefer less children, I'd recommend sailing in May (usually good weather) or late August. . . . or, check out Silversea. The Silver Shadow sails Alaska next year -- less than 400 passengers . . . small enough to get up close and personal with those glaciers.

Travelcat, interestingly enough our last Alaska Cruise was on the Silver Shadow in 2009 and the cruise was in August and we had a lot of children on board. The reason according to the crew was that the cruise was promoted. We were fine with the kids but some seasoned Silversea cruisers were not. So, when cruises are heavily promoted there can be a lot of kids on board who normally would not be withou the discounting. In fact, there were more kids on the Silversea Ship than on Crystal's when we took our first Crystal Cruise.

I'm still a believer when it comes to Alaska to look hard at the itineraries.

We are returning to Alaska in 2011 and taking the Crystal Symphony. We wanted an itinerary of 12 days rather than seven that other luxury lines such as Regent and Silversea area offering as we wanted to visit more ports. With a R/T out of San Francisco it works perfect for us and we wanted to revisit Glacier Bay.

Again, each person needs to look at the details and to see what works better for them.

Keith

I agree that passengers certainly can not expect to book all of the excursions they would like (unless they book exactly 180 days prior to disembarkation). And, the "free" excursions are not as extensive as the ones you pay for. However, the amount you pay for the premium excursions is still less than the the the standard amount paid by cruise passengers because Regent is contributing towards the premium excursions as well.

Keith, our two cruises to Alaska were the longer itineraries out of San Francisco. For us, they are the best way to go. Silversea and Regent both offer these longer sailings.

Silversea passengers did post about how many children were on board during the summer. IMO, it is not the best choice for children as the ship is not set up as well as Regent and Crystal for children.

Wripro: Don't even get me started on the ultra-inclusiveness that Regent has implemented:rolleyes: I'll just say that many Regent regulars are not thrilled with it. However, they are filling their ships more than ever before. It is a bit of a concern that other lux lines are following their lead. . . . to a lesser extent.

I agree that passengers certainly can not expect to book all of the excursions they would like (unless they book exactly 180 days prior to disembarkation). And, the "free" excursions are not as extensive as the ones you pay for. However, the amount you pay for the premium excursions is still less than the the the standard amount paid by cruise passengers because Regent is contributing towards the premium excursions as well.

Keith, our two cruises to Alaska were the longer itineraries out of San Francisco. For us, they are the best way to go. Silversea and Regent both offer these longer sailings.

Silversea passengers did post about how many children were on board during the summer. IMO, it is not the best choice for children as the ship is not set up as well as Regent and Crystal for children.

Wripro: Don't even get me started on the ultra-inclusiveness that Regent has implemented:rolleyes: I'll just say that many Regent regulars are not thrilled with it. However, they are filling their ships more than ever before. It is a bit of a concern that other lux lines are following their lead. . . . to a lesser extent.

TravelCat, check the 2011 itineraries because I did before I posted.

For 2011, 10 of the 11 Silversea cruises of Alaksa are seven days in lenght and 12 of the 14 day Regent cruises are seven days in lenght. For whatever reason, they have chosen to go with short duration Alaska cruises in 2011.

As I mentioned, we wanted something longer and we have booked Crystal's 2011 R/T Alaska cruise out of San Francisco which are 12 days in duration.

Keith

TravelCat, check the 2011 itineraries because I did before I posted.

For 2011, 10 of the 11 Silversea cruises of Alaksa are seven days in lenght and 12 of the 14 day Regent cruises are seven days in lenght. For whatever reason, they have chosen to go with short duration Alaska cruises in 2011.

As I mentioned, we wanted something longer and we have booked Crystal's 2011 R/T Alaska cruise out of San Francisco which are 12 days in duration.

Keith

I didn't check the SS boards, however, Regent typically does only one 12 day itinerary in Alaska per year. In 2011, as you noted, they are doing two. For Regent, this has been part of it's repositioning cruise to Alaska. The big draw for many people (ourselves included) is the fact that there were no children whatsoever on the ship in 2008 or 2010.

While I have no idea exactly why they are going with the seven night itineraries, I suspect that it is because they can offer such low prices. The low prices can be looked at as a positive or negative. We preceive it more on the negative side for reasons I would prefer not to get into. In any event, we have no plans to return to Alaska -- particularly not on the Navigator.

I am in the younger demographic and I have a kid who loves cruise vacations. I personally do not like 7 day cruises, they are too short and pack in to much. I prefer cruises to be at least 10 days so we can enjoy the ship as well as the ports. That's one reason why we are going to Alaska with Crystal next summer. 7 days, with air travel in both directions just won't do.

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to set up a 7 day cruise to Alaska departing Vancouver with my 80 year old parents. (They've lived in Washington State their whole lives and would like to see Alaska one time.) I've been looking at the Silver Seas Silver Shadow and the Regent Seven Seas Navigator because of the size and comfort factor. If the routes and costs are similar, is there much difference? I know they're both luxury but would rather more casual if possible. My husband and I will be traveling with them to assist with excursions, etc. Thanks for your help.

Regent does sound like the right one. In addition to being casual, many excursions are included. Excursions in Alaska can be extremely expensive. We also live in Washington and have taken Regent's Alaska cruises twice. Also think it's great that you will do this with your parents:)

Archived